Who has had it worse? Brisbane or Adelaide?

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
I know I'll forget names, so please add them through as we go. There have been some real quality leave these two clubs over a short period of time, who has had it worse?

Going back a few years, Adelaide lost some quality players in succession like Davis, Gunston and Tippett (I've had a blank moment, there's more)

Brisbane have lost Polec, Yeo, Karnezis, (Aish?) amongst others.

Which team copped it worse though? I ask because I can't decide.

Brisbanes would have hurt a lot more because most walked out in one year, robbed them of a solid rebuild foundation. Put Aish and Patful on top of that as well now.

For us - Bock wasn't at his AA best, Tippett hurt but we still have Tex and Jenkins and Davis is always bloody injured anyway. Gunston is the one that really stings and knowing we didn't do our best to keep him, still hate the prick though.

I'd have to say Brisbane, we've covered our loses a lot better.

Yep, we've lost Davis, bock, Tippett, Gunston and danger.

The last two have left for the go home factor.

The first three had dump trucks full of cash backed up to their door. Funnily enough losing these three guys as far as their football output post leaving hasn't hurt too much.

You could argue in hindsight that Davis and bock leaving actually was a good thing. Talia came straight in for Davis and we got draft picks which netted us b crouch, brown (a more astute crows fan will know who else we got).

The Tippett sanctions have hurt though, weve just been amazingly lucky with our recruiting that we've picked up some late draftees / rookies who are now best 22.

Gunston hurts because we got naff all for him and he just keeps on getting better.

Danger will hurt, yet to be seen what deal gets done and how well we can mitigate the loss.

Gunston hurts because we got naff all for him and he just keeps on getting better.

Guys like Gunston, Boyd, Aish and quite a lot of others, players that go into the draft and then run home to mum as soon as they possibly can annoy the crap out of me. They go into a draft, accepting that they could be sent anywhere in the country but in reality always intend on going back home, fully willing to screw over the club that drafted them.

Guys like Gunston, Boyd, Aish and quite a lot of others, players that go into the draft and then run home to mum as soon as they possibly can annoy the crap out of me. They go into a draft, accepting that they could be sent anywhere in the country but in reality always intend on going back home, fully willing to screw over the club that drafted them.
Like Brisbane, we're sorta going through something similiar with Freeman. It feels a bit worse because he has been hampered by injuries, and we've stuck by him knowing what he can do when fit, but $$$ talks.

From an impartial POV, you can't begrudge players of these sorts of things, if it's within their rights (out of contract/requesting trades at the end of a season) because at the end of the day, it's all business these days. Players get the sack and no one bats an eyelid. They've got a 10-12 year window to play a sport for a living and be relevant. Why can't they do it their way? Just like the club doesn't owe players anything when they're sacked, a player doesn't owe the club anything at the end of a completed season to request to be traded. It's all business.

Like Brisbane, we're sorta going through something similiar with Freeman. It feels a bit worse because he has been hampered by injuries, and we've stuck by him knowing what he can do when fit, but $$$ talks.

From an impartial POV, you can't begrudge players of these sorts of things, if it's within their rights (out of contract/requesting trades at the end of a season) because at the end of the day, it's all business these days. Players get the sack and no one bats an eyelid. They've got a 10-12 year window to play a sport for a living and be relevant. Why can't they do it their way? Just like the club doesn't owe players anything when they're sacked, a player doesn't owe the club anything at the end of a completed season to request to be traded. It's all business.

Out of curiosity what state is Freeman from?

It wouldn't bother me so much if these players said "I am willing to go to any club within my city" but they usually don't. They usually nominate a single club and it means the club that currently has them has to accept huge unders.

It wouldn't bother me so much if these players said "I am willing to go to any club within my city" but they usually don't. They usually nominate a single club and it means the club that currently has them has to accept huge unders.
Yep. This will also help with equalisation. The team losing players is fairly compensated while preventing the powerhouses from receiving all players as the bottom teams have more trade currency.

He is Victorian.

Nominated Saints because they've offered decent money. Collingwood's overall offer was bigger, but had conditions on amount of games played ect. but just salary, Saints was higher.

Gunston and Danger alone puts the Crows over the edge.

Brisbane, the system is set up to help the bottom teams rebuild and they keep losing them

Brisbane are just an academy mainly for vic clubs, this is only up to 2013 and was posted on the swans board pinched from the lions, so not sure who made it

image.jpg

Brisbane's player exodus is probably easier to explain, but Adelaide's is a major concern. Crows supporters will say that half of these players were offered money that was too good to refuse, but this happens to all clubs have players targeted by big money offers and most of the time the players stay loyal. what is wrong with the Crows culture that so many good players find it easy to walk away from?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane have had it worse than Adelaide, as at least Adelaide is in a football state and can recruit more easily from their own local regions.

Dogs have lost a bit recently too - for a range of reasons, some self inflicted. Harbrow, Ward, Griffen, Higgins, Lake, Hill, Cooney - going back a bit N Brown...

if you include dangerfield you have to say adelaide and it's not close.

brisbane's all just happened within the space of 1 or 2 years when the club was already on it's kness, needed to rebuild and couldn't afford to lose talented youngsters. but the quality of players adelaide has lost is staggering. give carlton dangerifeld, gunston, tippet and davis and they could push for finals.

Brisbane, the system is set up to help the bottom teams rebuild and they keep losing them

Brisbane are just an academy mainly for vic clubs, this is only up to 2013 and was posted on the swans board pinched from the lions, so not sure who made it

View attachment 182802

Would you suggest that Brisbane need AFL assistance?

Be careful with your response, you may make a lot of Victorians very insecure.

Would you suggest that Brisbane need AFL assistance?

Be careful with your response, you may make a lot of Victorians very insecure.

Some sort of retention allowance i suggest otherwise they have a massive disadvantage

if you include dangerfield you have to say adelaide and it's not close.

brisbane's all just happened within the space of 1 or 2 years when the club was already on it's kness, needed to rebuild and couldn't afford to lose talented youngsters. but the quality of players adelaide has lost is staggering. give carlton dangerifeld, gunston, tippet and davis and they could push for finals.

This argument makes no sense. If the club was already on its knees, surely it makes losing players excruciatingly worse. You're wrong anyway. The go-home 5 came in a season where they were one Carlton loss, and one Ryan Lester kick away from making finals.

Why? It's not like they can play footy if they don't go in the draft. Their only obligation is to fill their contract.

If I got transferred to QLD for work I'd be looking to come back to Victoria at any opportunity as well. Players are human, why shouldn't they try and do what they want to do? If they don't like playing with the Lions/Crows, fair enough if they want to leave.

They already have it by having the same salary cap as in Melbourne despite house prices being far more expensive in melbourne.

Yeah massive advantage clearly, thats why all the guns keep heading up there

Nick Davis says hi

This argument makes no sense. If the club was already on its knees, surely it makes losing players excruciatingly worse. You're wrong anyway. The go-home 5 came in a season where they were one Carlton loss, and one Ryan Lester kick away from making finals.
i mean just in terms of a quality of players. polec, docherty, yeo, karnezis and longer had combined for 86 games of experience for lions when they left. dangerfield on his own had 154. adelaide lost key position players which are much harder to replace. imagine a defence with davis, talia and bock (although i never rated him) and a forward line with walker, gunston, betts, tippet...

i mean just in terms of a quality of players. polec, docherty, yeo, karnezis and longer had combined for 86 games of experience for lions when they left. dangerfield on his own had 154. adelaide lost key position players which are much harder to replace. imagine a defence with davis, talia and bock (although i never rated him) and a forward line with walker, gunston, betts, tippet...

In my opinion, you have to delve deeper than questioning what could have been. I mean Davis is always injured, Tippett is regularly injured, Bock wasn't that good by this stage, no guarantee Talia would have been getting games, no guarantee they'd have the salary cap space to get Betts without some of those players leaving etc..

Brisbane's was so damaging, because after a decade of mediocrity things were finally looking up, and then after those players left, a few more years of being average was ensured. And a club - that is not in an AFL state especially, can simply not survive when being average for too long. Look at the crowd numbers this year. If they don't improve soon, they're in massive strife. Just look at the NRL Grand Final this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back