Who Has Played One Season Too Many? 2016 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Rather simple thread really, which player do you feel has signed on for one season too many this year and should have walked at the end of last year?

For mine, if Fremantle over-play Pav for more games than he needs to be worked into the finals he could burn out.

Over to you BigFooty.

Sadly I'm predicting Pav

Freo are my adopted local side, so I have a vested interest in seeing him succeed in 2016 but feel his legs are getting heavier and heavier as each year passes

Don't like the Pav nominations.

It seemed like he was happy to retire, but is playing on because the club wants him to.

I'll forgive him even if he's a touch off the pace.
I half wonder if Jobe Watson is in that boat too.

Don't like the Pav nominations.

It seemed like he was happy to retire, but is playing on because the club wants him to.

I'll forgive him even if he's a touch off the pace.

^this.
When you're as good as Pav has been for so long, and are providing a role that youre team desperately needs - both position and leadership (with Macca retiring and the gradual transition to the younger group) - you have every right to play on a bit longer.

Even if the strongly manage his time, and even if that requires playing every 2nd week (though that's a bit extreme, and he can probably play most games) - Pav can still be very useful for the Dockers and is better than other options.

Most of the time when someone says a player went on "one season too long" it's because a player was greedy or wanted success, and it ends up being at the expense of a young player's spot in the team or on the list. Even if Pav breaks down this year he's not exactly taking a young player's spot, we just don't have anyone to replace him ATM. If Pav can't play out the year I wouldn't say he went on one year too long, I'd say it's a shame he couldn't go on for one year longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if any Hawks will break down?
I wouldn't be surprised if Hodge doesn't make it, that crash and bash football suddenly takes it's toll one morning.

Bartel is another I think, Geelong probably got Johnson/Bartel wrong.

If Pavlich is well managed he may make it to another Prelim or even Grand Final, but there were times last year when he looked gone. To ensure he makes it to the end, the Fremantle coaches he may only play him in one or two regular season games on the east coast.

From North Daniel Wells may be on his last legs, the last two seasons have been injury riddled, although when he has been on the ground he has looked okay. Michael Firrito was supposed to be gone at the end of 2013 but has played two very solid seasons since, hopefully we can get another season out of him. And Drew Petrie at times looked a little flat last year and at other times looked quite dominating, hopefully Waite and an improving Brown will give him more freedom in the forward half.

I actually see Watson having a big year next season. Cooney and Stanton are my tips from the dons

Cooney yes obviously, but Stanton no. Brent is only 29, he's shown over his career that he's pretty much the most durable on the list and he's still one of the fittest at the club. Came second in the TT.

Daniel Wells, maybe. About to turn 31 after managing 12 games in two years due to injury.
Belongs more in the Point to Prove thread than this one IMO. If he had pulled the pin I would have wondered what could have been with one more shot at a full season. 31 isn't 35. My view is also coloured by watching him play kick to kick at training and seeing how frustratingly close he was to getting back. He wasn't getting around in a moon boot or just riding the exercise bike.

Spud Firrito on the other hand, I reckon they could have nudged one more senior player out to stagger the impending retirements a bit more, and as great a servant and bloke etc., I don't think we'd give much up letting a kid have a shot at his role. Even so, I suppose they could keep him on in the VFL as leadership and backup and it would be better than using a 6th draft pick.

True, but it's not 28 either, when he last had continuity. Reckon it's a bonus for North if he plays ~16+ games this year.
Oh I agree, he's far from guaranteed, and it may all end sadly, but watching him on the track and (briefly) in the VFL last year, you didn't think "now there's a bloke who needs to retire".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back