Who Has Played One Season Too Many? 2016 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, yeah! From a Carlton supporter I thought you were having a dig at the three departees. How was I to know you were joking?o_O
Oh I was having a go at the three departees... that they had clearly played one year too long at Carlton... that was the joke... you know, they were rubbish, we were rubbish... it was a win/win... or lose/lose...

#neverexplain

Oh I was having a go at the three departees... that they had clearly played one year too long at Carlton... that was the joke... you know, they were rubbish, we were rubbish... it was a win/win... or lose/lose...

#neverexplain

A bit like betts wasnt worth the coin being offered, I can see where youre coming from!

A bit like betts wasnt worth the coin being offered, I can see where youre coming from!
I hate to say it, but FOR CARLTON, Eddie was not worth the money he was being offered. No-one could truly believe that Eddie would have done at Carlton what he did at Adelaide.

He can be worth 500K to Adelaide, and not worth 500K to Carlton at the same time. Pretty simple really.

Re: the three Carlton exports though... It is my opinion that the only player that will make a success of himself is Henderson. Both Yarran and Menzel are going to have a complete behaviour change if they are to make it... I doubt Menzel is even in Adelaide's best 22, and certainly isn't considering his current fitness base... but time will tell. Honest truth is that I wish them all the best.

I hate to say it, but FOR CARLTON, Eddie was not worth the money he was being offered. No-one could truly believe that Eddie would have done at Carlton what he did at Adelaide.

He can be worth 500K to Adelaide, and not worth 500K to Carlton at the same time. Pretty simple really.

Re: the three Carlton exports though... It is my opinion that the only player that will make a success of himself is Henderson. Both Yarran and Menzel are going to have a complete behaviour change if they are to make it... I doubt Menzel is even in Adelaide's best 22, and certainly isn't considering his current fitness base... but time will tell. Honest truth is that I wish them all the best.

Fair call on Menzel, obviously if you look at his brothers attitude you would hope it is in him. There arent that many that correct their ways none other greater than Martin Pike who was an Adelaide boy who I knew and made Fev look like an Angel. Henderson is unusual that his attitude seemed a little off also. So is it three players attitude or teh club that is contributing towards it?

Fair call on Menzel, obviously if you look at his brothers attitude you would hope it is in him. There arent that many that correct their ways none other greater than Martin Pike who was an Adelaide boy who I knew and made Fev look like an Angel. Henderson is unusual that his attitude seemed a little off also. So is it three players attitude or teh club that is contributing towards it?
Impossible to separate the two entirely is my guess... I'm sure it's hard to put in when you're being smashed on the park week in and week out... The only problem with that attitude is that it wasn't all the players that behaved that way... in fact, truth be told, it was probably just Henderon, Menzel and Yarran who displayed the 'can't give a s**t' attitude.

However it's probably why I think Henderson is the most likely. He has been a hard worker, and I think he can be again. Yarran and Menzel have never been hard workers. It's possible Menzel was never pushed to work harder, and maybe in the right environment he will, but Yarran has been around a reasonable long time now, across two coaches, both when Carlton have been upish and down. He's never worked hard. That's always been the major complaint about him. He has all the skills... all of them... but the effort is lacking. Can Richmond turn that around. I hope so, but I doubt it.

Fact is, and there's a whole bunch of self-protection built into this statement, there are not too many BF Carlton supporters who are too upset that these 3 are gone. When we're as bad as we are, we're not going to improve with conditional players. Those 3 are conditional players in my book.

But, we'll see I guess.

Hard to tell with Murphy. He could have a big dip in 2016 but at the same time he has one of those body types that allow him to go longer than most players so he could also go for another 2 or 3 years.
Have a feeling if he had won a premiership or two already he'd be done, hopefully he can get one before he has a dip.

Have a feeling if he had won a premiership or two already he'd be done, hopefully he can get one before he has a dip.

You have to remember that Murphy played possibly his best season ever last year and was an AA. Now players can drop off from AA form quickly and Murphy has had a knee reconstruction in the past but outside of injury, I can't see him dropping off rapidly.

If any of these guys who had a pretty good 2015 do have a bad year, would it be knee jerk to pull the plug? That's the hard question.

You have to remember that Murphy played possibly his best season ever last year and was an AA. Now players can drop off from AA form quickly and Murphy has had a knee reconstruction in the past but outside of injury, I can't see him dropping off rapidly.

Example, would you not give him another gig if he has a bad 2016? I probably would, for the right price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Example, would you not give him another gig if he has a bad 2016? I probably would, for the right price.

I would back him in to rebound unless his body just falls apart on him completely. His leadership is just too valuable to lose and his intelligence on the field means that he could still potentially be dangerous even if he happens to lose a step.

Kane Mitchell.
Oh how surprising.

Kram81 don't change. Find a way to insert any Port troll into every post.

Why the hell would someone so young retire?

But this guy is worth 700k?

4f719e1a1861331abc000ef0.jpg

But this guy is worth 700k?

4f719e1a1861331abc000ef0.jpg

Bluntly ... no. Doubt it is $700k but it is more than Eddie would have got.

The versatility and best of Thomas promised more than Eddie and Eddie did have an ordinary final season for us .... but we were stitched up on this one.

Bluntly ... no. Doubt it is $700k but it is more than Eddie would have got.

The versatility and best of Thomas promised more than Eddie and Eddie did have an ordinary final season for us .... but we were stitched up on this one.

Eddie had an injury interrupted last season for Carlton, and was also suspended. He still averaged over 1.5 goals a game.

He'd kicked 140 goals in 3 seasons prior to that.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing

Eddie had an injury interrupted last season for Carlton, and was also suspended. He still averaged over 1.5 goals a game.

He'd kicked 140 goals in 3 seasons prior to that.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing

I know Eddie plays for the Crows now, but I did watch him for 182 games. He was a much loved member of the Carlton Football Club for 9 years. We do know a thing or two about him.

The very point was that Eddie was off the boil in 2013. He was suspended for 3 weeks, he was out with a broken jaw for 3 weeks. He played our last 14 games and 18 of 24 in total.

Statistically he was down in goals (had almost half the scoring shots of the year before in 4 games less), inside 50s, disposals, contested possessions but visually he did not have the same energy, the same bubble, the same intensity. Now you don't offer a massive pay rise on the back of an inferior season. If he was distracted by a Crows approach and that caused him to go off the boil, you don't reward a lack of commitment with more money. He was gone for all money for mine. I just don't think he enjoyed the coaching but that's just an opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back