List Mgmt. Who has what currency on the open market

Remove this Banner Ad

WORST CASE SCENARIO RANT WARNING::

Honestly, the real leaders of this group, the senior players, have let us down massively. A number of them are at or near the end. They are not going to get us where we want to go in the next two years so we need to change list management tactics. I doubt that the club will have the balls to move forward, well, really, they are a whole *load smarter than I, but if I were trying to build a list for a flag tilt I would do the following:

In the next two years the following will likely be gone anyway:

Firitto
Adams
Grima
McMahon
Wells
Dal Santo
Petrie
Waite
Harvey
Nahas

Keep on Dal Santo and Harvey.

We should offer the rest up for trade or cut them at years end. The rest, thank you for your service and good bye. We will get something for Wells. That is 8 senior spots on the list available. Upgrade Preuss and Fordham to make it 6.

See what we can get for:
Thomas
Swallow
Hansen

Gibson
Thompson
Currie
McKenzie

The bolded 4 will net decent picks/upgrades however we would be best only trading out 2 of those four given the reported shallowness of this draft. Then next year offer up the other two. Trade Thompson and Swallow this year, followed by Thomas and Hansen next year.

Look for pick upgrades for Currie and McKenzie, otherwise cut or rookie list. Gibbo stays on the list for one more year. That gives us up to 8 picks in the draft, with hopefully 4 in the top 25 or so. Do the same again in the 2016 draft.

Come 2017 that leaves us with:

Defenders:
Tarrant – Durdin – Neilsen – Tippett - Wright - Vickers-Willis - Mullett

Mids:
Ziebell – Cunnington – Dumont – Bastinac – Atley – Jacobs – McDonald - Macmillan

Rucks:
Goldstein – Preuss – Daw - Brown

Forwards:
Daw – Brown – Wood – Black – Higgins – Harper – Garner - Turner

That's basically a raw bones strategy, strip it right back to the group who will be around in 5-7 years and rebuild from there. We will hurt on field for a few years but we really don't have much choice if we want to be anything other than a middling club.

Id like to get a look at what thomas could generate at port. His defensive pressure has been deplorable, and he's trying to be like jamie elliot and go for some hangers, except that elliot is good.

Mate, rant moar! :thumbsu:
Cheers man

What that does too is it basically tells those young guys that its on them now. They need to stand up and do something or the team will be ****ed. No hiding behind senior players anymore as they are the senior players. Who really wants that responsibility?

We would also need to complement this with a whole new coaching staff and a more robust recruitment team.

I am hearing the rants, but you can't trade your captain. He'd need to want to go. I wonder what gold Coast would offer.

That's basically a raw bones strategy, strip it right back to the group who will be around in 5-7 years and rebuild from there. We will hurt on field for a few years but we really don't have much choice if we want to be anything other than a middling club.
cant see it hurting much more than now to be frank Tron,
the current squad offers little pleasure to watch, a half season and pretty much 1 quarter against WCE i can only recall enjoying.

Cheers man

What that does too is it basically tells those young guys that its on them now. They need to stand up and do something or the team will be stuffed. No hiding behind senior players anymore as they are the senior players. Who really wants that responsibility?

We would also need to complement this with a whole new coaching staff and a more robust recruitment team.

Welcome aboard, Senior Coach B Tron. Personally I'm willing to take the hit on your moderating given you've been tapped on the shoulder for the North Melbourne senior role - I won't stand in your way.

Welcome aboard, Senior Coach B Tron. Personally I'm willing to take the hit on your moderating given you've been tapped on the shoulder for the North Melbourne senior role - I won't stand in your way.
Shhhh....

No one has told Brad yet.

You telling me he can’t see the obvious when it is staring him in the…. Ahhh. Never mind.
What he doesn't know is that he will be offered a new role as a mod on BF.

Plenty of stern looks, no infractions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would get nothing for Thompson.

We would get something for Lachie but despite being 27 I think he has a few more seasons left in him as he relies more on his reading of the play and the ball in flight than his physical presence. Definitely worth more to us than what we get in return.

I think we could get something for Sam Wright. Currently playing his best football for us but I think he could be easily replaced. We would get maximum value for him.

I'd be reluctant to let Lindsay Thomas go. He offers us genuine firepower up forward. In times of woe you need that to keep the current group optimistic.

The one I'd be seriously looking at moving on is.... Todd Goldstein. Two top 5 picks would be my asking price and I think that's fair. He's an out and out star but our window is not open so we move him on whilst he is worth maximum value.

The only other player I see of true value is Luke McDonald - he's not going anywhere.

Ben Brown is an interesting one as well. He had a breakout season and is a tall - I think we'd get a very good trade for him. He's a good player but I think we'd get more back in a trade for him. Similar to Aaron Mullett - he had a breakout season but there were many deficiencies in his game that we could not correct. We missed the opportunity to trade Mullett.

tl;dr trade goldstein, ben brown, sam wright. keep mcdonald, thomas, hansen. thompson worth nothing.

WORST CASE SCENARIO RANT WARNING::

Honestly, the real leaders of this group, the senior players, have let us down massively. A number of them are at or near the end. They are not going to get us where we want to go in the next two years so we need to change list management tactics. I doubt that the club will have the balls to move forward, well, really, they are a whole ****load smarter than I, but if I were trying to build a list for a flag tilt I would do the following:

In the next two years the following will likely be gone anyway:

Firitto
Adams
Grima
McMahon
Wells
Dal Santo
Petrie
Waite
Harvey
Nahas

Keep on Dal Santo and Harvey.

We should offer the rest up for trade or cut them at years end. The rest, thank you for your service and good bye. We will get something for Wells. That is 8 senior spots on the list available. Upgrade Preuss and Fordham to make it 6.

See what we can get for:
Thomas
Swallow
Hansen

Gibson
Thompson
Currie
McKenzie

The bolded 4 will net decent picks/upgrades however we would be best only trading out 2 of those four given the reported shallowness of this draft. Then next year offer up the other two. Trade Thompson and Swallow this year, followed by Thomas and Hansen next year.

Look for pick upgrades for Currie and McKenzie, otherwise cut or rookie list. Gibbo stays on the list for one more year. That gives us up to 8 picks in the draft, with hopefully 4 in the top 25 or so. Do the same again in the 2016 draft.

Come 2017 that leaves us with:

Defenders:
Tarrant – Durdin – Neilsen – Tippett - Wright - Vickers-Willis - Mullett

Mids:
Ziebell – Cunnington – Dumont – Bastinac – Atley – Jacobs – McDonald - Macmillan

Rucks:
Goldstein – Preuss – Daw - Brown

Forwards:
Daw – Brown – Wood – Black – Higgins – Harper – Garner - Turner

Who's coaching during the rebuild?
Woosha, bomber or Bluey McKenna?

We would get nothing for Thompson.

We would get something for Lachie but despite being 27 I think he has a few more seasons left in him as he relies more on his reading of the play and the ball in flight than his physical presence. Definitely worth more to us than what we get in return.

I think we could get something for Sam Wright. Currently playing his best football for us but I think he could be easily replaced. We would get maximum value for him.

I'd be reluctant to let Lindsay Thomas go. He offers us genuine firepower up forward. In times of woe you need that to keep the current group optimistic.

The one I'd be seriously looking at moving on is.... Todd Goldstein. Two top 5 picks would be my asking price and I think that's fair. He's an out and out star but our window is not open so we move him on whilst he is worth maximum value.

The only other player I see of true value is Luke McDonald - he's not going anywhere.

Ben Brown is an interesting one as well. He had a breakout season and is a tall - I think we'd get a very good trade for him. He's a good player but I think we'd get more back in a trade for him. Similar to Aaron Mullett - he had a breakout season but there were many deficiencies in his game that we could not correct. We missed the opportunity to trade Mullett.

tl;dr trade goldstein, ben brown, sam wright. keep mcdonald, thomas, hansen. thompson worth nothing.
No way would I trade brown or wright, we do actually need some good players to win a premiership at some stage.
Brown could be the best key forward/ruck in the league in 2 years time I don't want to see him running around in Port or Richmond colours..

No way would I trade brown or wright, we do actually need some good players to win a premiership at some stage.
Brown could be the best key forward/ruck in the league in 2 years time I don't want to see him running around in Port or Richmond colours..

I knew it would be unpopular but so would trading Mullett two years ago. A good trade would be identifying someone in or close to your best 22 that is benefiting from being in a good team or playing above their average. Buy low, sell high.

I guess the real issue is... can we actually develop enough quality players that we draft. Our conversion rate doesn't appear to be great enough at this point in time. I'd be looking at getting the best development coaches in the country as opposed to a Rodney Eade, Mark Thompson, Mark Williams mentor type. It's all about development.

Whilst agreeing we need to make changes at the top of our list, I cant help but thinking that having our up and comers between Nth Ballarat and Werribee has resulted in a disjointed game plan. No one can seriously tell me that having Maj come in and Waite/Drew basically arguing with him or telling him what to do during a game is good for their own games? This flows across the board. You watch the Bulldogs reserves and they dish up a similar game plan to the seniors, ditto Box Hill. Still think this is a major issue for us and wont be resolved till next season when we come under the Werribee umbrella.

Does anyone actually believe that the club is ready to make these hard calls? Because I don't.

Much more likely that we'll either scrape into the 8 and get belted or finish 9-10th and again miss the surefire talent in the draft.

I knew it would be unpopular but so would trading Mullett two years ago. A good trade would be identifying someone in or close to your best 22 that is benefiting from being in a good team or playing above their average. Buy low, sell high.

I guess the real issue is... can we actually develop enough quality players that we draft. Our conversion rate doesn't appear to be great enough at this point in time. I'd be looking at getting the best development coaches in the country as opposed to a Rodney Eade, Mark Thompson, Mark Williams mentor type. It's all about development.
I saw Mullet out with the tigers squad in Cairns on their end of season trip a couple years ago. I thought that may have been a sign he was on the move. Or maybe just hanging with Aaron Edwards.

totally agree but the only young ones I (personally) wouldn't trade right now would be those two and probably sugar because they try their absolute arses off every game and all 3 have performed on the big stage. We'll need them in sept when we (eventually) get there again..

Does anyone actually believe that the club is ready to make these hard calls? Because I don't.

Much more likely that we'll either scrape into the 8 and get belted or finish 9-10th and again miss the surefire talent in the draft.
i think this is preceicely the mood of the vast majority of posters, even Darwin roo is prolly on the same page with this one.

I am noticing a lot less outcry from the usual loyalists from some of these calls. Are they taking time off big footy? Or is there a recognition that something has to give? I can sense a change in the wind. I think it'll only take a couple more bad performances before there will be a change of coaches and an aggressive review of the list.

Who's coaching during the rebuild?
Woosha, bomber or Bluey McKenna?
When Teffy gets back after attaining enlightenment he can take over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back