Who have been the Top 3 Hawks during the Premiership Era of 08 13 14 15?

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy deserves to be in top 3
Leading goal kicker
2 Coleman medals

I'd have Buddy ahead of Roughead

I think that's the reason for your post...slight troll? He wasn't at Hawthorn for half the flags. Are you talking about 08 - 15 inclusive, or the four premiership years? If the latter, then he shouldn't be in the top three. Roughy was better than Buddy in 13.

I'd go:

3 Mitchell
2 Hodge
1 Roughy/ Lewis

Buddy Franklin has been second best player in the AFL in last 10 years
Second to Gary Ablett Jnr

Both been superstars

Your original post wasn't about the AFL. It was about the best HAWKS. He leaves the club and we win two premierships in a row. Suggests he was a burden more than anything.

Your original post wasn't about the AFL. It was about the best HAWKS. He leaves the club and we win two premierships in a row. Suggests he was a burden more than anything.

It is worth giving thought to - in 2013 we won while preparing for life after Buddy by having him play a bit-part in the side. It improved us to be less focused on him with our forward entries. We improved further after he left. He is an amazing player, but you have to look at the overall value to the team. In 2008 his overall value to the team was immense. Just towering, unmatched. The 2013/14/15 model is a different beast, however, and Franklin was less valuable to it. The money he would have cost us had he taken our offer would have gotten a much worse return than it has with him not taking the offer.

Any case, clearly it didn't cost us anything, losing him, as you couldn't ask for better results in the last two years than what this side produced. Given all that, I don't think you could make a plausible case for including him on a list like this. If it was 'The 3 Most Freakishly Talented Hawks of 2008 - 2015' it would be a different story.

It is worth giving thought to - in 2013 we won while preparing for life after Buddy by having him play a bit-part in the side. It improved us to be less focused on him with our forward entries. We improved further after he left. He is an amazing player, but you have to look at the overall value to the team. In 2008 his overall value to the team was immense. Just towering, unmatched. The 2013/14/15 model is a different beast, however, and Franklin was less valuable to it. The money he would have cost us had he taken our offer would have gotten a much worse return than it has with him not taking the offer.

Any case, clearly it didn't cost us anything, losing him, as you couldn't ask for better results in the last two years than what this side produced. Given all that, I don't think you could make a plausible case for including him on a list like this. If it was 'The 3 Most Freakishly Talented Hawks of 2008 - 2015' it would be a different story.

Yep, totally agree. I have no question re 2008 - Buddy was the best Hawk. There might even be an argument for him over the period 2008 - 2015. In terms of the four premiership years specifically (which was the op's question), no way.

Taking your last point even further - 'The 3 Most Freakishly Talented Players to have Played for the Hawks of 2008 - 2015'. Yeah sure, he'd probably be at the top. The op stated one proposition then seemed to change it to this proposition. Which is why I think he was semi-trolling.

1. Hodge/Mitchell
  2. Burgoyne/Roughead/Lake
  3. Franklin/Rioli
This is without including coaches.

Edit:

4th would be Birchall/Lewis/Gunston
5th: Smith/Stratton/Crawford
6th: Hale/Hill

Probs missed someone(tell me if i did).

Last edited:
1: Hodge
2: Mitchell
3: Roughead

Honourable mentions to Burgoyne, Birchall, Buddy, Rioli and even from the more recent generation guys like Breust, Smith and Gunston have all been very good players throughout the three-peat era

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell clearly no 1
Hodge clearly no 2
(Jeez we are blessed to have these 2 greats)
Blanket over a few for No 3

lol I think like a typical spoilt Hawthorn supporter. I only count how players perform in the finals. :) The regular season is for the rest of the competition to compare and dwell over.

Mate, you cannot leave out Mitchell on the basis of not performing in finals. Let me remind you:

• Mitchell averages more of the ball than any player in finals EVER (from any side).
  • Mitchell has more BOG's in finals than any Hawthorn player
  • Mitchell won the finals MVP in 2014
  • Mitchell will win the finals MVP in 2015
  • Mitchell comfortably holds the record for most touches in a finals series of any player ever
  • Mitchell was runner up for the Norm Smith in 2014
  • Mitchell was runner up for the Norm Smith in 2015
  • Mitchell has been first tagged for Hawthorn in every finals game of his career bar the 2010 EF vs Freo (went to Luke Hodge after his best season - Luke had 13 possessions)
  • Mitchell has played 21 finals and had 29+ possessions in 15 of them (BOG for most of these). Next best EVER is Bartel who has done in 10 times from 5 more finals (obviously meaning Mitchell has done it 50% more than the next best player ever!).
I love all the guns (and lesser lights) at Hawthorn too (and I loved you being the first to put Clarko top 3) but NEVER suggest Mitchell is anything but a champion finals player please :) or I'll be very Cranky with you! :p

Last edited:
Mitchell clearly no 1
Hodge clearly no 2
(Jeez we are blessed to have these 2 greats)
Blanket over a few for No 3

Mate, you cannot leave out Mitchell on the basis of not performing in finals. Let me remind you:

• Mitchell averages more of the ball than any player in finals EVER (from any side).
  • Mitchell has more BOG's in finals than any Hawthorn player
  • Mitchell won the finals MVP in 2014
  • Mitchell will win the finals MVP in 2015
  • Mitchell comfortably holds the record for most touches in a finals series of any player ever
  • Mitchell was runner up for the Norm Smith in 2014
  • Mitchell was runner up for the Norm Smith in 2015
  • Mitchell has been first tagged for Hawthorn in every finals game of his career bar the 2010 EF vs Freo (went to Luke Hodge after his best season - Luke had 13 possessions)
  • Mitchell has played 21 finals and had 29+ possessions in 15 of them (BOG for most of these). Next best EVER is Bartel who has done in 10 times from 5 more finals (obviously meaning Mitchell has done it 50% more than the next best player ever!).
I love all the guns (and lesser lights) at Hawthorn too (and I loved you being the first to put Clarko top 3) but NEVER suggest Mitchell is anything but a champion finals player please :) or I'll be very Cranky with you! :p

People discount Mitchell over Hodge as Hodge has 2 norms to 0. If Mitchell had won 14 and 15 (definitely possible) and Dew/Ellis has won 08 (also possible) I wonder if that would change the perception of Mitchell in big games....

Special mention to Vanders also, Clarko mentions him often when talking about those early years re setting standards for what has happened since. Not saying top 3 or 10 etc but he was great in those days and missed by only 1 year I think?

I think a little outside the square:

1. Clarko
2. Hodge
3. Burgoyne

Mitchell was not influential in the 2008 and 2013 grand finals. Jordan Lewis has had better grand finals compared to Mitchell when you look at all 4 grand finals but I think Burgoyne has had the most impact in since 2008 overall, including the 2013 Preliminary, without which there would be no threepeat.
Grandfinals are the only things which count? Mitch was best on the ground in the 2008,13,15 preliminary final and was massive in 11 and 12, also pretty handy in 2014.

Mitchell's averages during finals ~ 30.5 Disposals 6.2 Clearances 4.2 Tackles

1. Dunstall - for reshaping all aspects of the club as ceo, then as board member
2. Clarko - for working with Dunstall to reshape the club and coach the club to success
3. Don Scott - for saving the club from merging with the Dees

without these 3 men 2008-2015 would not exist

Mitchell clearly no 1
Hodge clearly no 2

Buddy let me put your mind at ease. I would never suggest that Mitchell is not a champion finals player. He is one of the best midfielders Hawthorn has ever produced. I consider him as one of the most skilled along with Jarman, although not as spectacular.

This Hawthorn team has so many wonderful players and we have been so spoilt that the only way I could pick the third person, following Clarko and Hodge as a big influence over this period of success, was to only consider the Grand Final performances and game breaking moments in finals as a last resort. For that reason I picked Burgoyne. He is a mature version of Cyril who conserves his energy and always makes incredibly smart decisions that are telling. In that first quarter when West Coast was fresh and countering, the way Burgoyne defended close to goal was incredible. And then the next minute he was in midfield setting up plays and then he was up forward having shots and setting up players to have shots. He has done this in nearly every defining game of the season for Hawthorn. According to Clarko's press conference when Cyril joked if Burger had a "smithy", Clarko said he doesn't but he has been stiff on several occasions. I feel the same way. Mitchell is a champion, as is all the players in the Hawthorn team but Burgoyne also has just as much say in games and does so many things that go unnoticed that are telling of the ultimate outcome.

Grandfinals are the only things which count? Mitch was best on the ground in the 2008,13,15 preliminary final and was massive in 11 and 12, also pretty handy in 2014.

Mitchell's averages during finals ~ 30.5 Disposals 6.2 Clearances 4.2 Tackles
Look I think as I have said in the above post my ratings have been taken a little out of context. But to say Mitchell was best on ground in 2008, 2013, and 2015 Grand Finals is not only not true but disrespectful to Hodge, Lake and Cyril who were voted as best on ground and not many have disagreed with that. Especially in 2013 when Mitchell only had about 12 possessions, so you are way off there by a big margin. Arguably, he came closest to best on ground in 2014.

Look I think as I have said in the above post my ratings have been taken a little out of context. But to say Mitchell was best on ground in 2008, 2013, and 2015 Grand Finals is not only not true but disrespectful to Hodge, Lake and Cyril who were voted as best on ground and not many have disagreed with that. Especially in 2013 when Mitchell only had about 12 possessions, so you are way off there by a big margin. Arguably, he came closest to best on ground in 2014.
"preliminary final":drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back