Who have been the Top 3 Hawks during the Premiership Era of 08 13 14 15?

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically our 3 biggest onfield leaders:

1. Mitchell - Mitchell is actually going to become the new word for football smarts, his insight into the game is as valuable as his skill.
2. Hodge - for his exceptional ability to inspire the team
3. Burgoyne - Mr Fix it, stands up when very few can (but wasn't there in 08').

I'm with this...

Mitchell is an absolute genius, who remains our 'irreplaceable' player...I must admit, I'm worried about the impact it will have when he calls it quits.

Hodge, 2 Norms

Burgoyne, the best 'pure all-round' footballer I have seen, not the 'best' in any facet, but elite in all facets

I've no doubt our midfield has led the charge if you look at the numbers. Especially in finals, they've gone to a whole new level.

Mitchell & Hodge are easily 1-2 then on personal opinion throw in whoever you like for 3rd. Hence why I think those two are primarily the key above anything else to a possible 'fourthorn' if they can play to the same level again next September providing we first make Top 4.

Votes in finals from 2007-2015 Clarkson reign (5,4,3,2,1) - just a little exercise I done last month for interests sake combining the Yabby, newspapers and DT/SC scores then weighted so PF and then GF votes again are worth more.

1. Sam Mitchell
111 votes, 22 finals, polled in 17

2. Luke Hodge
94 votes, 21 finals, polled in 15

3. Brad Sewell
68 votes, 16 finals, polled in 11

4. Jordan Lewis
58 votes, 21 finals, polled in 8

5. Cyril Rioli
41 votes, 17 finals, polled in 6

6. Shaun Burgoyne
39 votes, 17 finals, polled in 10

7. Lance Franklin
35 votes, 14 finals, polled in 7

8. Brian Lake
29 votes, 10 finals, polled in 4

9. Jarryd Roughead
28 votes, 19 finals, polled in 7

10. Jack Gunston
26 votes, 11 finals, polled in 4

11. David Hale
21 votes, 16 finals, polled in 5

12. Grant Birchall
19 votes, 21 finals, polled in 9

13. Shane Crawford
18 votes, 5 finals, polled in 3

14. Isaac Smith
18 votes, 16 finals, polled in 6

15. Josh Gibson
17 votes, 17 finals, polled in 7

Just added...

Votes above per final played :
1. Sam Mitchell 5.0 per final
2. Luke Hodge 4.5 per final
3. Brad Sewell 4.3 per final
4. Shane Crawford 3.6 per final
5. Brian Lake 2.9 per final
6. Jordan Lewis 2.8 per final
7. Lance Franklin 2.5 per final
8. Cyril Rioli 2.4 per final
9. Jack Gunston 2.4 per final
10. Shaun Burgoyne 2.3 per final

Last edited:

I've no doubt our midfield has led the charge if you look at the numbers. Especially in finals, they've gone to a whole new level.

Mitchell & Hodge are easily 1-2 then on personal opinion throw in whoever you like for 3rd. Hence why I think those two are primarily the key above anything else to a possible 'fourthorn' if they can play to the same level again next September providing we first make Top 4.

Votes in finals from 2007-2015 Clarkson reign (5,4,3,2,1) - just a little exercise I done last month for interests sake combining the Yabby, newspapers and DT/SC scores then weighted so PF and then GF votes again are worth more.

1. Sam Mitchell
111 votes, 22 finals, polled in 17

2. Luke Hodge
94 votes, 21 finals, polled in 15

3. Brad Sewell
68 votes, 16 finals, polled in 11

4. Jordan Lewis
58 votes, 21 finals, polled in 8

5. Cyril Rioli
41 votes, 17 finals, polled in 6

6. Shaun Burgoyne
39 votes, 17 finals, polled in 10

7. Lance Franklin
35 votes, 14 finals, polled in 7

8. Brian Lake
29 votes, 10 finals, polled in 4

9. Jarryd Roughead
28 votes, 19 finals, polled in 7

10. Jack Gunston
26 votes, 11 finals, polled in 4

11. David Hale
21 votes, 16 finals, polled in 5

12. Grant Birchall
19 votes, 21 finals, polled in 9

13. Shane Crawford
18 votes, 5 finals, polled in 3

14. Isaac Smith
18 votes, 16 finals, polled in 6

15. Josh Gibson
17 votes, 17 finals, polled in 7

Just added...

Votes above per final played :
1. Sam Mitchell 5.0 per final
2. Luke Hodge 4.5 per final
3. Brad Sewell 4.3 per final
4. Shane Crawford 3.6 per final
5. Brian Lake 2.9 per final
6. Jordan Lewis 2.8 per final
7. Lance Franklin 2.5 per final
8. Cyril Rioli 2.4 per final
9. Jack Gunston 2.4 per final
10. Shaun Burgoyne 2.3 per final
This post makes me miss Sewell and Crawf

To qualify for this, you had to have been involved in all 4 I reckon.

1. Clarko
2. Hodge
3. Mitchell - captained '08. May not have had a great GF that year, but still massively influential in getting us there.

The coach and two captains. Leaders have greater influence than others. There are no more influential people on 4 flags than these three.

1. Clarko
  2. Mitchell, Hodge
  3. Graham Wright, Andrew Russell, Burgoyne, Lake, Lewis, Roughead, Rioli, Birchall
I'll go a bit further
4)Smith, Gunston, Bruest, Stratton, Gibson, Franklin,
4.5) Hill, Hale, Crawford
5) Guerra, McEvoy, Duryea, Suckling

Did I miss everything. Is it close to what you'd expect?

lol I think like a typical spoilt Hawthorn supporter. I only count how players perform in the finals. :) The regular season is for the rest of the competition to compare and dwell over.

So you put Burgoyne in ahead of Mitchell because of the 2013 prelim.

You should probably re watch that one.

Sure Burgoyne played the best quarter of finals footy in the 4th since Dews 3rd quarter in 08 GF, but Mitchell probably played the best final of any hawk in this era in that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I too think that we are better off as a team since Franklin left.
However back in 07/08, I bet most posters would have been full of praise. Just seems so hypocritical to me.

It's not hypocritical, it's human nature.
Its akin to that loving girlfriend/boyfriend who leaves you for your biggest rival, and later you find they've actually been cheating on you for a full 12 months before they left.

What do you say about them a couple of years later?

Its akin to that loving girlfriend/boyfriend who leaves you for your biggest rival, and later you find they've actually been cheating on you for a full 12 months before they left.

Great post, but the Handbaggers are our rivals, at least they're a real footy club. $hitney only ever entered the equation due to a bit of Demetriou $.

It's not hypocritical to say Buddy does not deserve to be ranked in the best players of the 08-15 era.

The main reason is that he played against us for the last two years, actively trying to prevent us winning premierships. As if that wasn't enough, in 2014 he competed against us in the GF - trying to keep the cup out of our hands.

IMO any player who actively tried to thwart our efforts for a significant period in the eight years from 08 to 15 does not deserve to be considered in our best. Far from it!

Buddy is the hardest one to place. His best is the best of all of them. In fact his best (2008 and 2011) is probably the best I've ever seen. He will go down as an all time great of the game but still and underperformed. With Sam Mitchell's mindset Buddy would have been the greatest player of all time.

The fact that Buddy only played in 2 out of 4 premiership years leaves him out of my top 3.

1. Mitchell. The best Hawks of this generation. In an era of meaningless midfield stars where some 'greats' of the modern era are considered that by their ability to get the ball a lot, this guy actually uses the ball properly. The best decision maker and smartest player I've seen. A marvel who has more 30+ possession finals I believe than anyone (and as said he is always damaging). His 2014 and 2015 finals series were simply masterful. Premiership captain too.

2. Hodge. This clubs greatest ever captain and that is saying a lot. His teammates love him and his ability to perform on the biggest stage is second to none. Grand final day ought to be renamed Luke Hodge Day. Again in an era of stat grubbing modern greats, this guy puts them to shame in the games that actually matter. His standing in the game was no better illustrated than in that brilliant captains documentary this year. Other club captains were openly in awe just be in the same group as him. The last two years I believe we have beaten sides in grand finals psychologically before they even took the field. Hodge more than any other player is in oppositions heads when it comes to big time footy.

3. Burgoyne. A toss of the coin with Roughy whose versatility is just incredible but Burgoynes class and big game domination gets him into third for me. I've never trusted a footballer more with ball in hand. At another club he's have been used up in the midfield, probably notched a couple all Australians, even a Brownlow and have retired with a dodgy knee 2 years ago. We don't worry about getting his best every week - just when it matters. I call it the Burgoyne card. Whenever we are in trouble, Clarkson lays the Burgoyne card and inserts him onto the ball or into the forward 50. More often than not it results in a Hawthorn win.

Roughead, Lake, Rioli and Buddy all have claims but that's my top 3

I never considered Franklin either my boyfriend/girlfriend.
The 1st time I was saddened by a player leaving Hawthorn, was when Kevin Heath left Hawthorn to play for Carlton, he too left for more money.
Franklin is neither the 1st or last player who will leave their club for more money.
And don't mention loyalty, clubs will only do what is in their interest. You only have to ask some of our 80s heroes e.g. Ayres
Franklin gave me great joy to watch over many years and I was rapt that he played for Hawthorn.
I wasn't happy when he left, I disliked how he left but looking at it now, it was good for the club that he did.

It's gotta be Franklin as most influential, even when we was not in the team…

gave us the cap room to trade in 'missing pieces' for sustained success after his departure and made our fwd line more unpredictable and a nightmare to contain

His biggest contribution to our club was leaving which allowed us to go shopping for other players.

2 time premiership player at Hawks, 2 Coleman medals, All Australian, Hawks best and fairest and leading goal kicker

I think he has been very big contributor to Hawthorn during his time there and just as much part of the Hawks success throughout the Hawks premiership era

Remove this Banner Ad

Back