who here likes hardcore?

Remove this Banner Ad

I rate Parkway Drive quite highly, they're extremely powerful live. Besides their latest album is more metal than hardcore anyway. Metalcore I s'pose, but I wouldn't brand them as w***ers.

yeah they put on a fookin good show:thumbsu: saw em at BDO 2006 and was the highlight for me.

It always amuses me when I go to the Arty and see those weirdos standing there with their arms crossed looking bored.

Alot of clueless people in this thread.

haha touche...

i never stand around looking bored, unless the band is s**t of course...;) I'm usually singing along and pumping my fist along to the tune. But i'm just not interested in throwing my arms around and flying kicking people and generally acting like a twat. But to each their own.

And Dead Kennedys were very much hardcore. Jello Biafra was instrumental in nuturing and developing the 80s hardcore scene. The later stuff is more melodic due to the fact that by this stage Biafra and gotten sick of hardcore. But even so DKs were one of the key hardcore acts and to say otherwise is lunacy.

Stopped reading when you listed Underoath as a hardcore band. You idiot.

Parkway Drive and Prom Queen are more metalcore, but have a strong hardcore following as they originated from that scene.

Do you even know what a hardcore band is?

people remember, im referring to modern hxc, not to when it wasnt completely materialistic.

well mate, apparently from your own words, those 2 bands originated from the hardcore scene, and i mentioned them as hardcore. so i think i do know what a hardcore band is. if anyone here can give me a good reason why hardcore is a good genre, how each band is different, how all the riffs are different, how the lyrics mean anything, why every hxc kid has to have a black hole in his ear, and why the lead singers are all the same, and why there has to be a ****ing breakdown in every song, Ill bow down to them.

And dont tell me you havent seen those types of hardcores that wear LA angels caps half-sideways with track pants or silk pants. anyone who went to all shall perish would know. they look a bit like this
http://myspace-324.vo.llnwd.net/01327/42/33/1327793324_l.jpg

Someone please explain to me how a band like All Shall Perish would even be mentioned in this thread. They are death metal, and damn good death metal. Breakdowns mean nothing, they have been in death metal since day dot. If ASP are hardcore then so is slayer, morbid angel, psycroptic and death.

I dunno what parkway drive used to play, or what other people think they play, but i heard their new album the other day and to me that is heavy metal,pure and simple. Some of the stuff on there was as heavy as ion dissonance or despised icon, though nowhere near as technical.

If it walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck....

people remember, im referring to modern hxc, not to when it wasnt completely materialistic.

well mate, apparently from your own words, those 2 bands originated from the hardcore scene, and i mentioned them as hardcore. so i think i do know what a hardcore band is. if anyone here can give me a good reason why hardcore is a good genre, how each band is different, how all the riffs are different, how the lyrics mean anything, why every hxc kid has to have a black hole in his ear, and why the lead singers are all the same, and why there has to be a ****ing breakdown in every song, Ill bow down to them.

And dont tell me you havent seen those types of hardcores that wear LA angels caps half-sideways with track pants or silk pants. anyone who went to all shall perish would know. they look a bit like this
http://myspace-324.vo.llnwd.net/01327/42/33/1327793324_l.jpg
FFS All Shall Perish isn't hardcore either.

Come back when you get a clue you clownshoed ********.

haha touche...

i never stand around looking bored, unless the band is s**t of course...;) I'm usually singing along and pumping my fist along to the tune. But i'm just not interested in throwing my arms around and flying kicking people and generally acting like a twat. But to each their own.

And Dead Kennedys were very much hardcore. Jello Biafra was instrumental in nuturing and developing the 80s hardcore scene. The later stuff is more melodic due to the fact that by this stage Biafra and gotten sick of hardcore. But even so DKs were one of the key hardcore acts and to say otherwise is lunacy.

Again it depends on how you define it. I just call it pure punk rock.

I would call the DK's EP In God We Trust a hardcore album, but then they realised that that wasn't where there sound was, a bit like the Misfits with the Earth AD album.

I think many US punk bands experimented with hardcore when it started gaining traction to help bring in crowds but it wasn't what they did best and moved back away or in the case of Black Flag slowed down and got heavier

I would call the DK's EP In God We Trust a hardcore album, but then they realised that that wasn't where there sound was, a bit like the Misfits with the Earth AD album.

I think many US punk bands experimented with hardcore when it started gaining traction to help bring in crowds but it wasn't what they did best and moved back away or in the case of Black Flag slowed down and got heavier

What?? Hardcore never gained major traction anywhere in the 80s. It was an underground scene comprised of mostly disaffected kids from the American suburbs and lasted from 1980 to 1986. No band ever changed their sound to become hardcore. They were either hardcore from the get-go or they weren't. Besides, the hardcore sound was never a big crowd puller. At their peak, Black Flag could only sell out 3,500 seat venues. DKs were about the same, though if they hadn't have broken up so quickly that might have changed.

There were bands like Dead Kennedys and Black Flag started out as hardcore acts but for various reasons moved away from the hc sound. Dead Kennedys because they were sick of the scene; Biafra was convinced that hardcore was being taken over by nazi punks.
And Black Flag abandoned the scene cos Greg Ginn was smoking shitloads of pot and wanted to stop making two minute songs and create 5 minute jam sessions with various degrees of success.

Fair enough. Like I said, their later stuff is more melodic and can be defined as "pure punk rock" but DKs should always be seen as a hardcore band because that's the scene they came from, which was extremely different from the original punk movement of the 70s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What?? Hardcore never gained major traction anywhere in the 80s. It was an underground scene comprised of mostly disaffected kids from the American suburbs and lasted from 1980 to 1986. No band ever changed their sound to become hardcore. They were either hardcore from the get-go or they weren't. Besides, the hardcore sound was never a big crowd puller. At their peak, Black Flag could only sell out 3,500 seat venues. DKs were about the same, though if they hadn't have broken up so quickly that might have changed.

There were bands like Dead Kennedys and Black Flag started out as hardcore acts but for various reasons moved away from the hc sound. Dead Kennedys because they were sick of the scene; Biafra was convinced that hardcore was being taken over by nazi punks.
And Black Flag abandoned the scene cos Greg Ginn was smoking shitloads of pot and wanted to stop making two minute songs and create 5 minute jam sessions with various degrees of success.

I didn't really say what I ment very well & I agree with your comments, but personally I consider Nervous Breakdown and Fresh Fruit more in line with punk than hardcore and would be right at home next to the Germs.

By the time BF released Damaged the scene had changed to the more meathead jock environment than the ex-hippy/junkies that first started out in Cali, and was the first true hardcore album out of that scene. Following that your got your TSOL's etc continuing on from where Damaged started but BF, DK's etc moved away from that mentality.

BF along with slowing down also started growing their hair long cos they were pissed off with the shaved head nutters that were turning up to their shows.

The DK's getting financially slaughtered by the court case I thought was one of the reasons for the breakup. Jello's done some great work with other bands since then, especially the record with Nomeansno "The Sky is Falling & I want my Mommy". But I love Nomeansno so I would say that.

I didn't really say what I ment very well & I agree with your comments, but personally I consider Nervous Breakdown and Fresh Fruit more in line with punk than hardcore and would be right at home next to the Germs.

By the time BF released Damaged the scene had changed to the more meathead jock environment than the ex-hippy/junkies that first started out in Cali, and was the first true hardcore album out of that scene. Following that your got your TSOL's etc continuing on from where Damaged started but BF, DK's etc moved away from that mentality.

BF along with slowing down also started growing their hair long cos they were pissed off with the shaved head nutters that were turning up to their shows.

The DK's getting financially slaughtered by the court case I thought was one of the reasons for the breakup. Jello's done some great work with other bands since then, especially the record with Nomeansno "The Sky is Falling & I want my Mommy". But I love Nomeansno so I would say that.

Yeah, Nervous Breakdown is more 70s punk than hardcore punk. Which kinda makes sense, since it was made in 1978 and the hardcore scene was still in its embryonic stage. The singer, Keith Morris, sounds exactly like a Johnny Rotten clone. Great EP. Love it when he wails "I was so waaaaaaasted!"

I guess what I'm driving at, is that hardcore was more than just a sound. It was an attitude. The whole do-it-yourself, take no s**t vibe that hardcore bands like Black Flag spearheaded. The Sex Pistols were a great band, but they're lightweight, pampered prima donnas compared to the likes of DKs, Black Flag, Minor Threat etc. I mean, take Black Flag. In a ten year career Black Flag had four different singers, 17 different members, faced police harassment, were banned from recording for twos years, lived in poverty and STILL managed to average over 200 live performances a year and still produced some freaking amazing music.

That's why I keep insisting that BF and DKs are hardcore regardless of how their sound evolved over the years. Their whole mental attitude is rooted in hardcore and it's what makes them separate from 70s punk. By comparison, The Sex Pistols could only manage one decent record.

What's your favourite hardcore record?

I can't go past BF's Damaged. The power and intensity of that record is unrivalled. Rise Above, Police Story, Depression, Damaged II, Gimme gimme gimme... it's freaking brilliant. I'd rate that album as the best punk album of all time, way ahead of the Ramones, Never Mind the Bollocks and the Clash. Those guys started punk, but Damaged took the form and perfected it and it hasn't been matched since. Henry Rollins cops flak, but he knocked the vocals out of the park on that album. Just brutal he is.

Pay to Cum by the Bad Brains is up there too. Super fast and super slick. Not a big fan of their reggae stuff though.

Yeah, Nervous Breakdown is more 70s punk than hardcore punk. Which kinda makes sense, since it was made in 1978 and the hardcore scene was still in its embryonic stage. The singer, Keith Morris, sounds exactly like a Johnny Rotten clone. Great EP. Love it when he wails "I was so waaaaaaasted!"

I guess what I'm driving at, is that hardcore was more than just a sound. It was an attitude. The whole do-it-yourself, take no s**t vibe that hardcore bands like Black Flag spearheaded. The Sex Pistols were a great band, but they're lightweight, pampered prima donnas compared to the likes of DKs, Black Flag, Minor Threat etc. I mean, take Black Flag. In a ten year career Black Flag had four different singers, 17 different members, faced police harassment, were banned from recording for twos years, lived in poverty and STILL managed to average over 200 live performances a year and still produced some freaking amazing music.

That's why I keep insisting that BF and DKs are hardcore regardless of how their sound evolved over the years. Their whole mental attitude is rooted in hardcore and it's what makes them separate from 70s punk. By comparison, The Sex Pistols could only manage one decent record.

What's your favourite hardcore record?

I can't go past BF's Damaged. The power and intensity of that record is unrivalled. Rise Above, Police Story, Depression, Damaged II, Gimme gimme gimme... it's freaking brilliant. I'd rate that album as the best punk album of all time, way ahead of the Ramones, Never Mind the Bollocks and the Clash. Those guys started punk, but Damaged took the form and perfected it and it hasn't been matched since. Henry Rollins cops flak, but he knocked the vocals out of the park on that album. Just brutal he is.

Pay to Cum by the Bad Brains is up there too. Super fast and super slick. Not a big fan of their reggae stuff though.

The work ethic of BF & the Minutemen was just huge with their DIY attitude. I was talking more about sound than attitude, both BF & the DK's are totally had the hardcore get out and play attitude down pact.

my fav BF is still the First 4 Years with the three singers and I think that the song Nervous Breakdown is one of the all time greatest punk/harcore songs of all time.

Damaged is a close second to that but still probably the greatest hardcore album (Bad Brains and Minor Threat did get great work). The songs on that record where written before he joined, so all he had to do was sing with the right aggression which he nailed. I still like everything they did with post Rollins, Slip it In is still gets played a lot. Seeing Rollins doing BF songs on the West Mephis Three tour was one of the greatest gigs of my life.

Rather than limit myself to just hardcore I some of my fav records, inclding to two above are :
Decendents - Milo Goes to College
Minor Threat - Complete Discography
Minutemen - Double Nickles on Dimes
Nomeansno - Wrong
The Clash - The Clash
Stiff Little Fingers - Inflamable Material
The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
Dead Kennedy's - Bedtime for Democracy
DoA - Bloodied but Unbowed
Bad Religion - No Control
Misfits - Static Age
Exploited - Troops of Tomorrow

I have pretty much everything the above bands have released, I also listen to the Ramones, Sex Pistols, Dead Boys, NoFX, Circle Jerks, Sick of it All, Anti Nowhere League, Nick Cave (all incarnations), Husker Du, Posion Idea, Helmet, The Cramps, The Germs, X, Buzzcocks, Stooges, Supersuckers, Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, Fugazi etc (*edit* I forgot to add the Spermbirds to my list, silly me)

I like to take in all era's of punk/hardcore/grunge, but used to be massively into 80's hardcore for years. Once I get into a band I try and get everything they release, which has made it hard to expand the collection (damn BF and all their releases cos it costs way to much to replace all the vinyl on CD)

Funny thread for me to read as I am a hardcore snob and purist. The fact that bands like 'Parkway Drive' and 'I Killed The Prom Queen' are even mentioned in this thread is embarrassing.

I do. If by hardcore you mean it as an adjective before punk.

I've heard the word used before dance and techno before and feel unimpressed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back