Bumped Who Is Closer To A Premiership? Lions/Pies? (new posts start at #244)

Remove this Banner Ad

They have an ok midfield and their ruck stocks look good but they rely far too heavily on their smalls to kick a winning score. They are looking very thin down back also with Patfull gone and McGuire/Merrett close to retirement.

They'll have 7 or 8 wins next year IMO but cant see them pushing into the 8 for three or four seasons at least.

We are a long way ahead.

To be fair they have a bloody good midfield (on paper) that runs deep on match day. Their down side is apart from that midfield they don't have much else.

I say on match day because 2 or 3 long term injuries to their midfield would kill them. Same as most clubs I guess, but the Lions midfield IS their kids, they have no one in the NEAFL ready to step up.

At least we have some sort of depth, although if you take Pendles out this year we look like a bag of poo. I just feel we have more players ready to step up than the Lions at this stage.

This 100%. Our KPP stocks are quite thin with Merrett and Maguire close to retirement in the next 2-3 years and our next best defender is Clarke who's quite young. In our forwards, there's no one quite ready to take the next step but a few have shown signs like McStay, Freeman and Close. We're about 1-2 genuine KPP's away/ someone stepping up ridiculously from making finals I believe.

What a stupid question by the journalist. What is Dayne going to say, his current club or the one he just left with mixed emotions from supporters? Shows where journalism is heading these days I feel. Hopefully Goldsack and Sidebottom can step up and assist Pendlebury and Swan a bit more, and mixed with Freeman and Scahranberg, pretty handy little midfield unit there too.
Good luck for 2015, can't wait to see how you guys go with pick 5, and what your drafting strategy will be. A brief look at your list would suggest you'd be happy with Laverde, an athletic and running halfback.
Hooray, a sensible Lions supporter!

I think most of us would be happy with a mid like Laverde, but I'd be pleased if Wright slid and we picked him up. Getting two top 10 KPP's in one draft is something we haven't done for 8 years now, and with Cloke pushing towards 30, now is the time for us to start bringing in our new tall forward stocks.

Look they think just because they have recruited well they will win a flag last time they brought guys in to the club that they will challenge in a few years. They have not tall forwards or backs and Aish and Mayes will be back in SA with in 3 years anyway. Pies have a good young balanced list, we do not just have a stockpile of young players in one position

It's been awesome to watch how delusional the Bears have become over this trade period. You'd think they'll be top 4 the way they're carrying on.

Brisbane are treading a fine line of becoming the next Western Bulldogs where they have a good midfield but that's it.

They had good draft picks but wasted them all on getting Midfielders to the club, the one area they didn't need strengthened?

This will perhaps be a Judd/Kennedy scenario mark II, if Wright slips and goes on to win the Coleman with us 3-4 years from now, Brisbane will be absolutely spewing, unless they can quickly find replacements for their aging best KPP which seems unlikely to happen in this day and age.

Of course he would say brisbane. That's who he plays for now. If he were still at collingwood he would say collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you guys are delusional if you think your list is ahead of ours. I know that it will be easily settled come round 1 at the Gabba when collingwood is embarrassed by 100 points. I look forward to it so much.

Actually it won't be settled until the final siren to conclude round 23 but don't let that stop you over-hyping an outcome in round 1 to suggest the Brion's have bolted to premiership favorites IF they win.

If all the Lions midfielders are fit, on paper, it's now the strongest in the league. I reckon a really good coach could develop a game plan to make them genuine contenders.

Got WCE's to a flag with Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Cox and not much else... well maybe a few other reasonable players.

you guys are delusional if you think your list is ahead of ours. I know that it will be easily settled come round 1 at the Gabba when collingwood is embarrassed by 100 points. I look forward to it so much.
g6736g6419.gif

We are for sure.

We have better young players coming through and have more stars than the Lions. They are also likely to lose one of their good young players in Aish next season.

They have decent young players but nothing really special to say they can win the flag with their current group of players.

We have better key backs and better key forwards coming through than Brisbane do. Things can obviously change over a few off seasons but at the moment I think we are ahead of them as a football side and closer to a premiership. I would be shocked if they started favorites for the round 1 game as well.

A) No, that will only tell who is better during that one game.
B) :$:$:$:$:$:$:$:$:$:$:$

If all the Lions midfielders are fit, on paper, it's now the strongest in the league. I reckon a really good coach could develop a game plan to make them genuine contenders.
That's what everyone's missing lot of posters on here bagging bucks ,but I will stick my neck out and say he is ten times the coach leppo is and will ever be .Only have to look on Twitter to realise how juvenile he is.their a bunch of cowboys up there and need a disciplined head coach like a Mcarthy instead they appointed a bigger flog than most of their players .This is gonna end in tears for them big time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love you guys always so passionate about your club it's awesome. But seriously round 1 is gonna be awesome. Packed Gabba and with Dayne coming o brisbane there should be some feeling between the clubs again. Hope we can get this rivalry relit and look forward to some cracker games as both our teams inevitably rise up the ladder!!!!

You on some good gear again Puller - I thought you were giving that s**t up

I love you guys always so passionate about your club it's awesome. But seriously round 1 is gonna be awesome. Packed Gabba and with Dayne coming o brisbane there should be some feeling between the clubs again. Hope we can get this rivalry relit and look forward to some cracker games as both our teams inevitably rise up the ladder!!!!
No feeling between the clubs.

Let's list our rivals shall we;

1. Carlton/Essendon (99% of our fans say either)
2. Carlton/Essendon (whichever you hate the least)
3. Melbourne (goes back to the 50's)
4. Hawthorn (just because they beat us every damn time)
5. Port Adelaide (all that jumper bullshit)
6. Geelong
7. St Kilda (like Geelong the finals clashes of recent years were epic)
8. Richmond
9. North Melbourne (they hate out guts, we don't like them)
10. Western bulldogs (their supported despise us like no other, so we can't like them)
11. Sydney (COLA)

Maybe then, after 11 clubs do we come to the Lions, a club that no one particularly likes or dislikes, or even cares about. In fact you could even add GWS and Suns above the Lions simply because they will be pushing for flags soon, and everyone will hate them for all the assistance they get.

Brisbane isn't even on the radar, this Beams thing means very little, sorry. As far as big games goes its about as big as our round 1 clash vs Freo, which wasn't that big at all.

Anything under 50k is a small game to us, really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back