Opinion Who is looking forward to Season 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
I am.

Yes, we've said goodbye to quite a clutch of loyal servants - Shaw, Pyke, Jetta, Bird, Goodesy.

It's always sad to see champions hang up their boots, and Adam Goodes in particular was an extremely special class of champion, a singular human being in so many ways.

But what's in the past is in the past, and we now have the excitement and hope of renewal.

I for one am always curiously excited when there's a big change of line-up at our fine club. In the past, for the most part, we've recruited and traded in an exemplary fashion; competition leaders in that respect in some eyes. So although I don't yet know what these new boys are capable of, I'm really excited to find out, as it's almost always been a turn for the better in the past.

Add to that the possibility of Buddy Franklin back on the paddock wreaking his own inimitable brand of exuberant havoc, the continuing rise of young players like Heeney and maybe Rose too, and I think there's a whole lot to look forward to.

Hawks are still the team to beat, but I have an inkling we're going to confound the doomsayers yet again.

Let's make this a thread for positive vibes. Who else is looking forward to this season with uncommon relish? What excites you in particular?

For mine we have a couple of missing pieces to our jigsaw puzzle so winning the flag might be a bridge too far...I said MIGHT!
Heeney is very good.
Mills is better.
If we can get our backline sorted we have the core of yet another really good, competitive, flag contending team.
If we can get our game plan sorted we will become serious contenders.

Last edited:
So much change in the off season, a number of players will be missed BUT

Buddy should be back to his best or maybe better
Tippett looks to finally be delivering on his contract size
If Talia can stand up then Ted becomes a highly dangerous intercept and rebounding third tall
Sinclair may be an improvement on the 2015 version of Pyke
Rohan might finally start to get disposals commensurate with his ability
Rampe to move into the midfield more and really show his ability
Heeney, well could be anything
Mills, well could be anything plus
Rose, Davis and Hewett to all step up into genuine senior roles

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the season and have already made plans to get to a number of games in Sydney, Melb and Qld, including ressies games.

It's always better to be conservative, humble etc - it is said.
Well, * that.

This is our flag to lose in 2016.
We have an undeniably strong list - we have plugged gaps (backline, ruck) with Jenny2 and Sinclair.
Callum Mills has jumped off the cross into topline AFL - he will be a star, along with Heeney.
Buddy is back - 120 goals - supported by Tippo 75 and Reid 50.

Cheating Victorian umpires will try to halt our progress with their snide fraud - but too late.

The Swans will start hard, maintain in the middle and smash them in the finals.
Minor premiers, best attack, best defence, huge percentage and record grand final score.

The Swans will be so good that other supporters will feel ashamed about their own clubs. Except Bomber supporters who seem to feel no shame.

Go Swannies!

Yep.... I'm super keen.

Really like the look of Sinclair, and hoping a new environment is the trigger for Tahlia to start hitting new heights. Kirky's involvement to regenerate that "bloods spirit" and help the players rekindle their enthusiasm for the game.

Hoping everybody is on the money with the Mills hype, young Papley to be a sensation in the forward fifty and O'Riordan to quickly settle in for a long career as a swan.

While we all hope for a premiership, I'll be happy just to have them playing a brand of footy that is great to watch. Chances are, if they are doing this they will be right in the thick of it when the big games roll around anyway.

Cheer, cheer the red and the white......

Keen as mustard. Would love to see some free flowing footy with some targets hit inside 50. Get the I50s right and BINGO. Lookingforward to seeing how Mills fits into the side. How many days to go

Cheating Victorian umpires will try to halt our progress with their snide fraud - but too late.

The Swans will be so good that other supporters will feel ashamed about their own clubs.
I know I said let's make this a thread for positive vibes but I also think it's important to set realistic, achievable goals.

I am looking forward to playing Essendon

1. Looking forward to Essendon break the record for the biggest AFL Loss (Currently Melbourne who lost to Fitzroy by 190 points).
2. Looking forward to Essendon winning their first game of the season against Carlton against Carlton in round 6
3. Looking forward to Carlton finishing 18th for the second season running.
4. Looking forward to Hawthorn not making the grand final
5. Looking forward to Mill's debut and Heeney getting more midfield time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I certainly am looking forward to this year. It'll be the first time in a long long time I've seen the club without Adam roaming around. It'll be like I'm a child again. No Goodesy, no Mickey O, no Boltons, no rebounding Irishmen... But so many new champions and heros to choose from.

Luckily we get Kirky back where he belongs. With the heart and soul of the club back in the fold I can see our midfield adding a little extra fierceness and endeavour. In particular, I think Hanners & Parker will be really impacted by Kirky's involvement and I can see them stepping it up even more this year (I know, it seems impossible but I think it can happen). I hope he get's some involvement with Jonesy too... I'd love him to help Zak harness his emotions and make a huge impact on games.

Then there's the new Big Bad Bustlin (Bud) who'll be back, fit, healthy and firing which in itself is like adding two players to the field and is worth the price of admission alone most games.

Heenz, Mills, Jonesy, Rose, Hewy, Allir, BJack, Xav... So much potential. They won't all play and they all won't develop as we'd like. But I feel like we've got a really great crop of young blokes at the club. Flexible & adaptable each of them IMO. Heenz, Mills, Jones maybe already locked in by most of us but the others each with a real chance at helping us raise a cup if they can push their way into the side.

Really looking forward to seeing how the young players progress. Heaps of exciting young talent in our side this year.

I certainly am looking forward to this year. It'll be the first time in a long long time I've seen the club without Adam roaming around. It'll be like I'm a child again. No Goodesy, no Mickey O, no Boltons, no rebounding Irishmen... But so many new champions and heros to choose from.

Luckily we get Kirky back where he belongs. With the heart and soul of the club back in the fold I can see our midfield adding a little extra fierceness and endeavour. In particular, I think Hanners & Parker will be really impacted by Kirky's involvement and I can see them stepping it up even more this year (I know, it seems impossible but I think it can happen). I hope he get's some involvement with Jonesy too... I'd love him to help Zak harness his emotions and make a huge impact on games.

Then there's the new Big Bad Bustlin (Bud) who'll be back, fit, healthy and firing which in itself is like adding two players to the field and is worth the price of admission alone most games.

Heenz, Mills, Jonesy, Rose, Hewy, Allir, BJack, Xav... So much potential. They won't all play and they all won't develop as we'd like. But I feel like we've got a really great crop of young blokes at the club. Flexible & adaptable each of them IMO. Heenz, Mills, Jones maybe already locked in by most of us but the others each with a real chance at helping us raise a cup if they can push their way into the side.

Just a little thing but Kirkie is 'Forward Coach' not 'Mids Coach'. Other than when resting he won't have a lot to do with what the mids do. From the point of view of ethos he will be invaluable though you are right.

On how I think we will go this year. I think we are in the regeneration stage. Not rebuilding but regeneration as bit by bit old stars retire and the new boys come in. We have plenty of top end talent, don't tell the critics and media hacks they wouldn't know talent from turgid. This doesn't mean we will be even vying for the premiership. Top eight yes, we have the talent and experience to get that far but as far as vying for or winning the big cup I'm not sure we are ready yet. Probably look to 2017. But in saying that I didn't think us quite ready in 2012 and thought 2013 was the year but the boys proved me wrong.

We are developing some of our younger players beautifully and this year will be the time for them to start standing up and being counted. While I think next year the more likely premiership year the young guys need to start proving they have the goods now in their formative year. This is a make or break year for many of our younger players; Aliir, Xav Richards, Hewett, Naismith, Nankervis, Jones, Towers, Robinson, Marsh, Melican, Newman & Foote. These guys have to start looking like they can take the next step. Jones and Towers looked good last year and now look very much like succeeding but the others need to start proving their worth. Most of them can expect some game time except I believe Marsh and Foote. The injury to AJ will automatically allow us to upgrade a Rookie and at this time I think Newman will probably get the nod but it would be out of him, Melican (who I rate) and Foote. We have plenty of mids so I can't see Jordan getting the nod and it is very rare to see a first year Rookie elevated so the others are out other than Marsh. I don't rate Marsh as highly as some on here. While he plays well in the NEAFL I think he is probably just a good secondary league player. Naismith has been elevated to the Senior list which talks volumes.

I think our coaches need to change the game plan and allow a much more attacking style of game built on sharp delivery and fast leads. The use of Sam Reid is going to be pivotal to our game this year. We need to utilise his strengths; marking, agility, speed and lead. We need to use him as a more pivotal player in the CHF position. Bud & Tip as the FF line with Bud allowed to go where he likes. Surround these guys with the likes of Rose, Towers and the resting mids with forward movement as the catch cry.

The mids have to be positioned so we can take advantage of our strengths and clear the ball out of the stoppages. The move of Heeney to the midfield and a mix of really quick wing players such as Harry, Robbo, Rohan, BJ & Towers (at times) to clear the ball quickly to advantage. The strength of Joey, Tommy, Kizza and Parks to extract and feed the ball to the runners. Mind you I think Hewett would be good to have in the side as his delivery and ability to deliver both sides really well will be advantageous in the coming years. We need to be able to move the ball quickly and not get caught in the maul and to do that you need to get the ball quickly out to runners who can deliver the ball skillfully or an outside/inside player who has elite delivery like Heeney or Hewett. Mills will be valuable too after a few reserves games as he didn't play much footy last year and probable needs some match practice. Lloydy is going to be important. His ability to get clear space between him and his opponent is staggering. I believe he will be given more of a transitional role, something like Macca played in 2012 but not as a back but a roving mid.

The back line will look better for young Talia. This will free up Teddy or Reg for other duties. We need to get cohesion again and will miss the leadership of Shaw. I am hoping Smithy will step up this year to fill that gap as Teddy is too old (as the leader needs to be there in the coming years) Reg is not the type and the rest don't have the experience. Macca, if he plays back could fill that role if not Smithy. Leadership in the back half is going to be the important factor this year, either developing it or cementing it.

All in all I think we will be hovering around the top 4. The reason I say this is that of all the teams in last year's finals we were the most injury affected and yet Freo only beat us by two kicks an we had 6 more scoring shots. North I don't think are much chop after only beating us by 26 points with 5 of our best out including Reid, Bud, Parks, Kizza, Rohan (injured during the match) and Benny only half fit. If you look at the top four this season you'd have to say there is only one team who, if they don't have huge injuries, would be a certainty and that is Hawthorn. Crows, Eagles, Bullies, Port, Cats, Norf, Tigers & Collywobbles would join us vying for the top 8. But I believe we are a better side than Wobbles, Wretchmond, Crows, Port or Bullies. I'm not sure what Cats attempt to buy a flag is going to achieve at this stage. Wait and see. Hawks have already bought two of their three. Wobbles are trying a bet each way, developing top end talent but also buying in the trade. I don't know if Buckley has the goods though.

So look forward to a roller-coaster ride this year because I think our game-plan will be far different to the past few seasons. I think we might just get a lot tougher.

Last edited:
I'm on half chub already I'm that excited. Preseason games will have have me fully torqued. Round 1 it's gunna be like i'm 12 again.
58820a_4813080.jpg

Can't bloody wait. I just think as stated above. Pieces have come in to fill gaps. I think the mid tier kids are ready to step up and lastly the big boys will be firing. Injury can't strike us down again, its an even year (2013...2015...). Time for a GF!

Just a little thing but Kirkie is 'Forward Coach' not 'Mids Coach'. Other than when resting he won't have a lot to do with what the mids do. From the point of view of ethos he will be invaluable though you are right.

So look forward to a roller-coaster ride this year because I think our game-plan will be far different to the past few seasons. I think we might just get a lot tougher.
Yeah re: Kirky I meant more just as a general around the club, personality etc. as opposed to specific coaching role. I think Hanners and Parker will be two who will really feed off his personality and approach around the club in general and I think his ethos will really rub off on all the players who have anything (not just coaching related) to do with him.

I completely agree with your last point too mate. Roller coaster is what we're good at and certainly if Horse decides to change up a few structures post Goodes/Shaw/Jetta/Pyke/Sub Vest and with the implementation of Heenz/Mills/Sinkers/Interchange. None-the-less, I'm hoping we come out harder, more aggressive and more hungry than last year too. :thumbsu:

C'MON YOU BLOODS!!! :mad::D:thumbsu:

Forwards Coach??????

Have they forgotten what a crap-awful kick he was? (Don't get me wrong, still one of my all-time favourite Swans.)

Kirk provided exceptional entertainment when kicking for goal, always good for a chuckle. He was probably straighter than we remember. On a good day he could bang them in from 30 out.

Kirk provided exceptional entertainment when kicking for goal, always good for a chuckle. He was probably straighter than we remember. On a good day he could bang them in from 30 out.

Im sure someone could provide his accuracy statistics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back