dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Which players are you most keen to monitor the progress of over the course of this preseason, and who do you think will 'break out' or progress in a big way in 2015?

Personally, my three players to watch this year will be:

Nic Naitanui

It seems as though WC fans are the only people who acknowledge that Naitanui hasn't had a preseason in three years. If he is able to regain his 2011-2012 form it would give our bland midfield a bit of an edge once again.

Murray Newman

This bloke has copped alot of coverage today which I think is pretty fair. He looks to be in great shape both mentally and physically and he's one I can see emerging from the abyss and finding a spot in our 22 early in the season.

Will Maginness

He's not one I expect to entrench himself in the side in 2015 but in terms of where he has come from, I see Maginness as a big mover. He's a genuine outside mid with pace that doesn't rely on a strong contested game - and so I can see him leapfrogging a few like Colledge and Sheed in the midfield-depth pecking order. Based on his late 2014 numbers in the WAFL he has the tank - the only concern being his disposal by foot. I predict he will play 3-5 games.

Who else?

SSH_07-06-2014_SHARED_24_yeo06%20black_t460.jpg

Haha knew you'd post him.

I think he'll be a good player but I expect a gradual improvement in 2015. The main concern is his production which I don't think will evaporate by next year. I definitely look forward to seeing him play though.

The seemingly always linked Colledge and Tunbridge. Big bodied mid, utility types. Which one can crack it, if either? Should get games if performing in NAB or EP games later/ or to transition out Hill, Butler, McGinnity, Hutchy, Wellingham but they shouldnt be gifted games if we`re fit and in form.?

Sheed to expect more game time changing thru mid/HF. Love the side-step and silky kick.
Cripps, Karpany & Newman. Theres some great opportunities to rove that forward line, who wants it???
Nic Nat & Turbo McGovern. The best is yet to come.

Newman will surely need to spend a while in the WAFL first though, given he hasn't been able to play any top-level footy?

I have high hopes for Sheed this year too. Reckon Gaff and Shuey will also keep up the form they found at the end of last season.

Newman - hasn't played football at any level since he walked out on swans mid game in 2013 other than some NAB cup time at the start of this season (I think he played but honestly don't remember). Looking at how he's presented for preseason it appears that he is willing to put in the work to establish himself as an AFL footballer. Once he gets used to playing footy again he could become a very exciting player for us and be that speedy small forward we've been crying out for

Wellingham - it's stating the obvious to say he has been underwhelming since arriving at the club two years ago. He's in the last year of his contract and will need to consistently play at the level he has shown only glimpses of so far. Otherwise he'll be on the trade table

Waters - missed seeing him out there and I hope his body is right so he can play footy again. Whether he can rediscover his 2012 form I'm interested to see and fingers crossed he gets back to something near his best which is AA quality

Ash Smith for a breakout year, anyone? :p

I would like to see a bit of Karpany, Maginness and Newman as far as new players go.

Older players, I want to see Waters get a game, Shuey and Gaff take it to the next level and Naitanui put in a solid preseason and dominate the comp again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wellingham - Has been disappointing considering how good his 2012 Preseason was before the trampoline accident. That year i remember going to a few training sessions and thinking how well he was leading the way on the track and looked set for a big year. Can be more than just a bit player if he pulls his finger out and show the talent he does have.

Newman - The one player i am most excited for as he is very talented and he we need his skills in our midfield. I hope he has a big NAB cup and might even need to play some WAFL games to get some game time in after missing a fair few over the years.

Hutchings - I can see him lifting his game a few notches and becoming more than just a tagger.

Scooter ,Hurn and Wellingham these guys will have big years .

Of the youngsters Lycett ,Turbo ,Yeo will announce themselves to the competition .

Shred and Karps will carry the flag for the rookies

McGovern - Looks like he's lost a lot of puppy fat from his face - looks more manly/mature and will have a huge year with a full preseason under his belt.

Can't believe how much he came on last year considering his lack of fitness and size at the start of the year.

Huge things ahead for him.

Others in for big years

Murray Newman
Jack Darling
Andrew Gaff
Naitanui
Yeo
Shuey
Sheed

If the midfield service improves this year back JK in for the coleman.

Sheed will be in for a huge year imo, comparing him to Yeo, Sheed is a natural midfielder and has always played there, whereas Yeo has gone from utility/mid in juniors, to defender in nat comp, to defender in AFL. The guy still needs more time and development to become a good mid in AFL imo, but does have the tools to get there.

Gaff is my next option, I've said this before and I still believe Gaff is out of position on the wing and should be played on ball for next season, Rosa and Masten have the wings covered and with Gaff on ball and spreading from contested situations is what he does best.

Sheed will be in for a huge year imo, comparing him to Yeo, Sheed is a natural midfielder and has always played there, whereas Yeo has gone from utility/mid in juniors, to defender in nat comp, to defender in AFL. The guy still needs more time and development to become a good mid in AFL imo, but does have the tools to get there.

Gaff is my next option, I've said this before and I still believe Gaff is out of position on the wing and should be played on ball for next season, Rosa and Masten have the wings covered and with Gaff on ball and spreading from contested situations is what he does best.

A lot will depend on how big he can get this preseason. Looked great on the inside as a junior when he was thrown in there. Size and strength always his biggest area of improvement.

Will be interesting to see how much size players like Gaff, Sheppard, Masten, Yeo put on.

Wellingham - Has been disappointing considering how good his 2012 Preseason was before the trampoline accident. That year i remember going to a few training sessions and thinking how well he was leading the way on the track and looked set for a big year. Can be more than just a bit player if he pulls his finger out and show the talent he does have.

Newman - The one player i am most excited for as he is very talented and he we need his skills in our midfield. I hope he has a big NAB cup and might even need to play some WAFL games to get some game time in after missing a fair few over the years.

Hutchings - I can see him lifting his game a few notches and becoming more than just a tagger.

Hutch will score 15-20 goals this season - bookmark it!

I'm gonna throw a dark horse out there:

Jamie Cripps

Just reached the magical 50 game mark and played a full season in the forward line. I think he'll see more opportunities on the wing where his natural aggressiveness and willingness to take the game on will be an asset. Had some good patches last season and would expect him to be more consistent with those this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back