Opinion Who is set for a big 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom lamb for the brownlow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Four whole months between registering to the site and your first post...and this is what you come up with? :p

In all seriousness I would like to see a big year from shep. He's had enough time to develop now he need to step up and become a consistent performer week in and week out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's very fumbly below the knees and has dodgy disposal - he simply doesn't have the 'qualities to become a real A-grader'. Add to that he's not very good at going forward and scoring goals. I've never liked him though, and I thought even in 2012 whilst he got a lot of the ball, still is heavily overrated.

So much bull crap has been said on Selwood on this forum. Mindless postulating about the substance of his game, and where and how he's best utilized.

The question is can he match and come on from his 2012 season and there is no reason to suggest he can't if fit. Some might suggest it's an outlier, but both 11/12 were a good indication of what he can produce in a functional midfield unit.

There are several issues around his disposal both inside and outside of stoppages, but the principle one is about where he wins the ball going forward. In 2013 he had been on the end of a lot of trash ball in contested situations and been rushing the ball forward mindlessly. It was truly a train wreck of a season (inside 50 count says it all) and no more or less indicative of Selwood's abilities than his standout season in 2012.

We all know what Selwood brings to stoppages as far as defensive prowess and how his hands aren't clean enough to be an elite extractor. But defensively he's second to none at this club and one of the better players in the competition when it's his singular task. The second of Selwood's most favorable attributes is that he's an elite high intensity runner. When at his best, his power over the ground is excellent, that's something that other players who he's been compared to here simply can't bring to the table, and it was something that was missing in his game in 2013 (he lost weight and looked weak over the deck).

Selwood's third strength is his ability over head, he's a strong mark and if our midfield unit is functioning properly and Selwood is in a position to run into space offensively then he's got the capacity to open up games quickly and put us in a good offensive position with retained possession. Perhaps more so than anyone bar Shuey and Yeo.

I think Selwood's task is simple, he's first mindset is to be defensive, especially at stoppages and then when given opportunities he looks for space and does it hard as possible. If he's used as a run with player is at this stage irrelevant and probably dependent on the performances of others as much as his own form and fitness.

Selwood's third strength is his ability over head, he's a strong mark and if our midfield unit is functioning properly and Selwood is in a position to run into space offensively then he's got the capacity to open up games quickly and put us in a good offensive position with retained possession. Perhaps more so than anyone bar Shuey and Yeo.

Where'd you pull that one from? Not saying you're wrong, but i can't say i've ever noticed Selwood being good overhead. When has he used this? He's not alone though, our entire midfield is pretty average in this department.. Shuey, Matt, Masten and Selwood aren't exactly a danger in the air.

It's one of the more appealing things about Yeo being in the guts, he's remarkably good overhead. It's another trait lacking in our midfield which he can bring as part of his game.

Where'd you pull that one from? Not saying you're wrong, but i can't say i've ever noticed Selwood being good overhead. When has he used this? He's not alone though, our entire midfield is pretty average in this department.. Shuey, Matt, Masten and Selwood aren't exactly a danger in the air.

It's one of the more appealing things about Yeo being in the guts, he's remarkably good overhead. It's another trait lacking in our midfield which he can bring as part of his game.
Like Jimmy Bartel adds that dimension to the Cats. The good thing is Yeo also has a lot more pace to burn than Bartel.

Unless hes in the forward 50 at the g against the pies trying to take a grab and stamp our authority on the game. Then hes s**t overhead and cracks teeth.

Here is a ?

Can Lecras get better ? Can Darling get better ? Can Kennedy get better ?
Can Shuey get better ? Can Wellingham get better ?

= Who knows

By watching him play...

Selwood averaged close to 5 marks a game back in 2012 and pushed forward inside 50 to take marks consistently as Shuey did while spending less time up forward. Marking itself isn't particularly impressive in a contested sense, but when coupled with the capacity to find space quickly that it becomes an asset because he's hard to spoil with a few meters on his opponent. Other players like Priddis, Masten and Gaff can all be spoiled with slight body pressure.

Certainly one of the better players overhead in our midfield.

By watching him play...

Selwood averaged close to 5 marks a game back in 2012 and pushed forward inside 50 to take marks consistently as Shuey did while spending less time up forward. Marking itself isn't particularly impressive in a contested sense, but when coupled with the capacity to find space quickly that it becomes an asset because he's hard to spoil with a few meters on his opponent. Other players like Priddis, Masten and Gaff can all be spoiled with slight body pressure.

Certainly one of the better players overhead in our midfield.

Right....

So you rate his ability to find space on the lead or on the spread and take an uncontested mark? Fair enough. It's not really the same as saying someone is strong overhead though is it? It's not as though he is someone who can float into a pack i50 or anything.

Yeo is strong overhead. His impressive highlights from last year is brimming with contested grabs, occasionally over much bigger and better opponents. That's the sort of 'strong overhead' i'm talking about. I don't see how you can call that one of Selwoods strengths. Fair enough Masten, Gaff and Priddis are all too slow or one paced to find the space for a mark on the lead, but Selwood is still poor under a high ball.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/video/2014-10-07/yeo-2014-highlights

^ 75% of these highlights are showing off his aerial prowess. Selwood has never done anything like that, strong overhead my hat.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much bull crap has been said on Selwood on this forum. Mindless postulating about the substance of his game, and where and how he's best utilized.

The question is can he match and come on from his 2012 season and there is no reason to suggest he can't if fit. Some might suggest it's an outlier, but both 11/12 were a good indication of what he can produce in a functional midfield unit.

There are several issues around his disposal both inside and outside of stoppages, but the principle one is about where he wins the ball going forward. In 2013 he had been on the end of a lot of trash ball in contested situations and been rushing the ball forward mindlessly. It was truly a train wreck of a season (inside 50 count says it all) and no more or less indicative of Selwood's abilities than his standout season in 2012.

We all know what Selwood brings to stoppages as far as defensive prowess and how his hands aren't clean enough to be an elite extractor. But defensively he's second to none at this club and one of the better players in the competition when it's his singular task. The second of Selwood's most favorable attributes is that he's an elite high intensity runner. When at his best, his power over the ground is excellent, that's something that other players who he's been compared to here simply can't bring to the table, and it was something that was missing in his game in 2013 (he lost weight and looked weak over the deck).

I think Selwood's task is simple, he's first mindset is to be defensive, especially at stoppages and then when given opportunities he looks for space and does it hard as possible. If he's used as a run with player is at this stage irrelevant and probably dependent on the performances of others as much as his own form and fitness.

ER - some good points here but not the overhead in my mind. Fact is that Selwood is our best defensive midfielder and we should celebrate what he is excellent at. Chris Judd called him The Tackling Machine and we should play him at his strength not wish for Joel.

Just please do not trial him as a creative midfielder. There is way more upside in Yeo. The other thing is decide which 3 mids in for the centre bounce.
- Priddis reads NicNat better than anyone and so long as he hand passes and not kicks, he looks fast enough and top option.
- Shuey is our pace, dual sided and everything we want in at stoppages
- 3rd mid is the issue. If we go Selwood, we look slow and inaccurate, especially if we also have Priddis and or Hutchings in as well. My view - Yeo is the better option with other pace on rotation. Le Cras or Rosa or other good options ---- just watch the balance.

Lets face it, other clubs have been making more our of their losing ruck combination and gaining way too many easy clearances.
This is the issue that needs to change and clean clearances will make us look so much faster and start delivering ball laces out to our forwards.

How do people think Gaff will go this year. I'm not sure how his preseason has gone but I felt he was showing glimpses of becoming a really good player last year. Hope to that again plus more

I reckon by the end of the year he'll step up another level or two and really start to dominate games.

I'm expecting solid overall team improvement rather than any one player having a massive improvement. Darling missing is going to hurt though. He's underrated on this board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back