Who is the best captain right now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodge by several light years.

I think Hodge is one of the best players in the comp and would be one of my favourite players outside of Sydney.

Though, the best captain I would have to say is Watson. Yes, he needed time off at the later end of this season, but what he has done for Essendon, there group, i dont think many people could have done as well.

Hodge on-field and it's not even close.

Watson off-field no competition there. Had the world on his shoulders and not many men have the strength of will to get up everyday after the s**t he had(still is) going through.

I think Hodge is one of the best players in the comp and would be one of my favourite players outside of Sydney.

Though, the best captain I would have to say is Watson. Yes, he needed time off at the later end of this season, but what he has done for Essendon, there group, i dont think many people could have done as well.

hahahaha, subtle troll :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Most of the factors that contribute to being a good captain are not viewable to the fans. We don't know how the captains are behind closed doors, how approachable they are, what they say on match day, their relationships with their team mates and coach etc. Opinions are formed purely based on how they play as a footballer, whether they lead by example and how they come across in the media. No doubt these are important factors but they make up a small portion of what a captain does.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Chunk but I think he's a little off being the best captain in the league.

He gets extra points for sticking by a team that has been awful in all but his first year.

subjective rankings based on most casual and superficial observations of passive fan:

hodge

riewodlt
pavlich
r murphy
selwood
watson
walker
jones
boak
ablett
mcveigh
pendelbury
hurn
davis
cotchin
swallow
rockliff

m murphy

no coincidence that 1 and 18 mirror ladder positions...

Murphy IMO.

For many reasons. He may not be there to see the rewards but easily my favourite AFL player.

Watson off-field no competition there. Had the world on his shoulders and not many men have the strength of will to get up everyday after the s**t he had(still is) going through.

The same one that ran over to England this year to get away from it as he needed a break.

Nah.

A real captain would have stayed no matter how bad it got, not ran off because he couldn't handle it.

The same one that ran over to England this year to get away from it as he needed a break.

Nah.

A real captain would have stayed no matter how bad it got, not ran off because he couldn't handle it.
Watch the Captains Doco, the sheer pressure they were all under. It would have broken normal person. Jobe did a great job, everyone knew when WADA came in Essendon promptly went to s**t. That's not on Jobe, that's on Essendon and Hird. People shouldn't forget that Essendon players were thrown under the bus by their own club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back