Who is the best captain right now?

Remove this Banner Ad

My ideal captain would look like he's stepped out of a David Jones catalogue, be a devout Christian, quiet on the field, have a name that's more offensive than bukkake and kicks the footy like an under 14 from another country.

Perfect.

Most of the factors that contribute to being a good captain are not viewable to the fans. We don't know how the captains are behind closed doors, how approachable they are, what they say on match day, their relationships with their team mates and coach etc. Opinions are formed purely based on how they play as a footballer, whether they lead by example and how they come across in the media. No doubt these are important factors but make up a small portion of what a captain does.
what is viewable is wins and losses, and that should be the overriding factor above anything else

I rate: murphy from the dogs, boak, Selwood and of course hodge
And I really rate jones

I certainly don't rate Watson - no matter how bad it's been, no matter how heavy the load, you don't head to Lords to sit in the outer drinking beer while your boys are home getting reamed. Some of those younger blokes have done it tougher than a guy who should of known better

Last edited:
I rate: murphy from the dogs, boak, Selwood and of course hodge

I certainly don't rate Watson - no matter how bad it's been, no matter how heavy the load, you don't head to Lords to sit in the outer drinking beer while your boys are home getting reamed. Some of those younger blokes have done it tougher than a guy who should of known better
A good captain doesn't drink drive as an example either.

Taylor Walker > Jobe Watson by miles.

One man ran to England cause Dank and Hird screwed him over, another had his coach murdered and lifted his form and his team through the toughest circumstances imaginable.

That being said Roo and Hodgey on field, Murphy not far behind.

Roo is still running 20 year old defenders into the ground on one good leg, Hodge stands up when it matters and Murphy has done an amazing job building the confidence of the Doggies kids in such a short time.

what is viewable is wins and losses, and that should be the overriding factor above anything else

So would you rank the 18 captains in ladder order? That assumes all captains are working with the same quality of list, coaching staff and resources.

Despite the incidents this season, it still has to be the only current triple premiership captain in the game.

It wasn't Nathan Jones who Picked Watts over Naitanui/Hill or Sam Blease/James Strauss over Shuey/Hannebery/Beams, Scully/Trengrove over Martin/Cunnington/Sheppered or Tompouras over Stringer/MCrae/Wines

Nobody really knows, Sure you can take on-field preformances, However captains are not picked because they are the best on-field.

I know people used to Rip into Vandenberg for being a run with player with a short temper on-field but he absolutly eliminated our party boy "footys just a job" attitude at hawthorn which was crucial when guys like Hodge/Lewis/Franklin came in. Who's to say those 3 boys who did like to let loose would of developed how they did with blokes like Peter Schwab still around

A good captain doesn't drink drive as an example either.

No he doesn't - luckily he didn't take a carton out on the field with him.

You think what Jobe did personifies a good captain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge.
Selwood, Roo & Pavlich are all great, but Hodge stands alone IMO.

Yep....About sums it up.

Best big-game hunter this Century....When all the other supposed 'champions' of the game struggle to exert an influence or have any meaningful impact come finals time, it is this bloke who lifts his game another notch to tower above them all, when it matters most....Modern day football Goliath, general & Legend....And a good-bloke to boot, who enjoys an ale or 2.....As Slim would have it: 'I'd luv to have a beer with Hodgey';)

All hail King Podge & his band of merry-men.:D

The best captain I've ever seen was Vossy. I saw an interview with Simon Black once where he told the story of the 2003 GF where Brisbane had the game sewn up with 10 mins to go. The story goes that a goal was kicked and between the goal and the next centre bounce, Voss sprinted around the ground to each of his players and told them to keep pushing, and play right to the end, sums him up I reckon...
The closest to Voss of the current crop would have to be Hodge, Boak and Selwood. Can't split those three, but Hodge's premierships probably give him the slight edge.

This guy

tumblr_nu0tkw1ozf1ufuclyo1_400.gif

The best captain I've ever seen was Vossy. I saw an interview with Simon Black once where he told the story of the 2003 GF where Brisbane had the game sewn up with 10 mins to go. The story goes that a goal was kicked and between the goal and the next centre bounce, Voss sprinted around the ground to each of his players and told them to keep pushing, and play right to the end, sums him up I reckon...
The closest to Voss of the current crop would have to be Hodge, Boak and Selwood. Can't split those three, but Hodge's premierships probably give him the slight edge.

The Duck went alright.

Paid for younger players to socialize with the team.. Overseas at times.

Inclusive as it gets and a freak leader. Until it all went Yoko Ono of course.

The Duck went alright.

Paid for younger players to socialize with the team.. Overseas at times.

Inclusive as it gets and a freak leader. Until it all went Yoko Ono of course.
Carey, in my opinion, greatest player the game has ever seen, but I think as a captain, Voss had him covered.

When rating or selecting a captain, it's not about their win/loss record, nor is it about their footballing ability... The question is, outside of their footy skills and prowess, does having them as captain add value to the sides onfield performance? Champion players will always be champion players, their contributions will always be great. A captain has to go over and above skills and ability, his leadership has to add a tangible difference to the team's performance.
Hawthorn have one "captain" but about 8 blokes who's leadership is impeccable. With all due respect, teams like Richmond and my mob don't have any.

Nah, Bob Murphy is a better captain than Hodge too. Good captains lead by example, especially when the chips are down. I don't think elbowing opponents in the throat or drink driving meets that criteria.

what about performing on the big stage time after time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back