Who is the best captain right now?

Remove this Banner Ad

As a whole? That's a separate argument to just Jones himself. Could he do with better leaders around him? Absolutely. Some have had to be brought in (Cross). Others are being developed. Again, that's a separate discussion.

Your basis for questioning his leadership appears to just be results, which is so obviously flawed when you consider the team he is leading and its recent history.

He's not the polished product as a captain. There may even be better future ones already at the club. But on field, he is a fine leader.
Sorry, I don't think Jones is a great captain, and it's not solely based on wins and losses. I see a guy who looks defeated when his team is, I see a guy who tries his ass off, but doesn't lead naturally.

Sorry, I don't think Jones is a great captain, and it's not solely based on wins and losses. I see a guy who looks defeated when his team is, I see a guy who tries his ass off, but doesn't lead naturally.
Tries his arse off, but doesn't lead naturally...

You've just discounted a large part of what leadership is. Jones leads by example til the final siren regardless of the scoreboard. Always has. Even moreso since he's taken on official leadership duties.

If he "looks defeated" at times, which I've only seen from him once the siren has gone, it's likely because his win loss record since 2006 is the stuff of nightmares.

The bloke deserves a medal quite frankly. A new medal entitled The Nathan Jones Award, given to a player who carries a club on his back for two years whilst surrounded by no hopers. He's the first recipient. It will be a while til we see a second.

I'm just happy that he now gets to lead a competitive team. This was his first year as sole captain. He will improve in that role next season.

Jones being in the discussion for the best captain right now is just one eyed mouthbreathing.

Very difficult to say it is anyone other than Hodge. Selwood, Riewoldt, Watson and Pavlich all are bloody impressive characters too.

Last edited:

1. Hodge (even after indiscretions)
2. Selwood (can't believe he is ignored by BF posters, but then again I'm not surprised. Anyway, he is the best captain Geelong has had in a generation)
3. Riewoldt

Are people nominating Hodge being serious? Great player who can lead by example on the field, but also ill-disciplined, lets his teammates down when he gets suspended and got caught drink driving on the eve of finals.

As pointed out, we casual observers will never know what goes on behind the scenes. But on the things we can judge them on (leading by example, setting the tone for the club on and off the field, not creating distracting issues), then guys like Reiwoldt, Pav and Selwood are probably out front.

I am surprised that a club does not recruit a Buddhist monk as captain, seeing as their off field behaviour is more important than on field results o_O

Has anybody mentioned G. Ablett yet? GC is a finals contender in 2014 till he did his shoulder, turn into also rans without him, look uncompetitive at the start of this year, returns to lead his side to a 50 point thumping of the roos (prelim finalist) and and the next 2 weeks are overrun by bulldogs and gws in the last quarter after leading at 3q time. Does his knee against the crows and the suns look a shadow of the team they were with him. Either he is the best player we will ever see or he inspires those around him to grow another leg and be much better footballers like a good captain should

No way would I consider him to be a good captain. On field exploits are one thing.

However, the tone and direction of that club is putrid, and a lack of leadership by the captain has a large measure of blame attached to it.

2. Selwood (can't believe he is ignored by BF posters, but then again I'm not surprised. Anyway, he is the best captain Geelong has had in a generation)
3. Riewoldt

i'm not sure exactly what it is about him but he's just unlikable. so is hodge but hodge has done things to deserve it, selwood conducts himself immaculately (except for the playing for frees thing) and yet for some reason everybody still wants to punch him in the face.

Jones being in the discussion for the best captain right now is just one eyed mouthbreathing.

Very difficult to say it is anyone other than Hodge. Selwood, Riewoldt, Watson and Pavlich all are bloody impressive characters too.
One eyed? I just defended his leadership, I didn't nominate him for top 3 cause I don't believe he is top 3. The ones who did nominate him were Sydney, Wsst Coast and Geelong supporters.

But yeah, totally one eyed :drunk:

Whats your thoughts on Hurn
More of a quiet type, probably does things behind the scenes we don't appreciate.

But as I mentioned later, I think the role of captain in Aussie Rules is overrated, it's not like cricket, where they make tactical decisions. I'm sure Hodge is liked and respected by his players, that's all that really matters, I just didn't like the dismissive attitude of the poster towards another team's captain when it is easy enough to dig up flaws on Hodge. It smacked of arrogance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a look at the list of Current captains and any who are previous captains

Hodge > Sam Mitchell > Rest of the flogs

3. Riewoldt

I think it's because he had his worst season this year. Great leader though. I'd go:

1) Hodge
2) Selwood
3) Watson

I think it's because he had his worst season this year. Great leader though. I'd go:

1) Hodge
2) Selwood
3) Watson
I can't see how Watson can keep being called a great leader when he split from the team mid-year, during one of their worst periods, to the other side of the world.

Yeah, he talks well, and seems likeable, but as far as leaders go, he really shouldn't have left his team to their own devices.

yeh he's really led that culture amazingly well
Do people not realise he has only been captain since the start of the season, after just one season as co-captain with Grimes? You could argue he's been the main factor in any turn around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back