Opinion Who is the Eagles best ever full back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the replies people. :)

Obviously both champs, but imo Mcintosh was the man.
I also reckon he was as good as the full back of the century and better than Scarlett.

Glass
4x All Australian (including captain in 2012)
3x Club Best and fairest

McIntosh
1x All Australian
1x Club Best and fairest

McIntosh played with some pretty handy teammates, and went up against Dunstall, Lockett, Carey etc.

B&Fs are great but they aren't the be all and end all. Priddis and Scott Selwood have won our B&F, Kerr and Mainwaring have not. I know who the better footballers are.

There's not a lot in it but I'd still favour McIntosh. Glass ha made the bigger contribution to the club, but McIntosh was the better full back.

My highly unpopular opinion is that Mackenzie is better than both.
I thought his 2014 was exceptional and, at times, he single-handedly held back the flood gates.
I know he doesn't have the lengthy career that the other two have, yet, however, I feel he is a more complete full-back than, at least, Glass.

Not the strangest argument put forward on this board. He did win a BF the same year that Pridda won the Bradley Brownlow

Both would make an all-time Eagles side. We've been blessed with key defenders. Not too many teams would have players of the quality of McIntosh, Jakovich and Glass in their all-time side. The ruck is another position we've been historically great at.

Key forwards less so. If I was picking my all-time side, without using current players, Sumich is still a lock for full-forward and I'd put Lynchy at CHF ahead of Mitchell White. After that it gets real thin. Gehrig? Ball? Langdon?

Both would make an all-time Eagles side. We've been blessed with key defenders. Not too many teams would have players of the quality of McIntosh, Jakovich and Glass in their all-time side. The ruck is another position we've been historically great at.

Key forwards less so. If I was picking my all-time side, without using current players, Sumich is still a lock for full-forward and I'd put Lynchy at CHF ahead of Mitchell White. After that it gets real thin. Gehrig? Ball? Langdon?
Heady.

Kennedy?
(Sorry ... Didn't see the "qualification")

Heady wasn't a key forward though, he'll be battling out with guys like Matera, LeCras and midfielders that got squeezed out of the actual midfield for a forward flank or forward pocket position.

PS: He'll make it.
Lecras is alot like heady. So much man love.

Where the actual * is JJK?

Good God man, how can miss him out.

(*, I too missed said qualification)

Carry on.

All this talk of key forwards/ backs has made me think of the great white hope CHF Craig Mcgrath

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened to him and why did he not end up being the player that most thought he was/could have been?

Basically a mark and kick player who was poor below his knees and couldn't jump. Good WAFL player though!

I can't pick between McIntosh and Glass. In the perfect Eagles team I would want BOTH of them as I feel that their strengths would complement each other.

Ideally Glass at FB and McIntosh BP.

I didn't follow McIntosh's career enough to fully appreciate him but but I remember him as a more agile KPD where as Glass was a more dour back. Had the privelege of watching Glass's full career and I had concerns early in his career but he became an extremely reliable KPD and leader.

Thing Mackenzie once retired will be held in as high esteem as Glass and McIntosh. We've been blessed as a club with quality and dependable tall defenders over the decades when you add Monkey and Jak as well

I remember Eagles having a weak ruck early 90's

With the key forwards - surely Kennedy is in the eagles all-time team now?

Ideally Glass at FB and McIntosh BP.

I didn't follow McIntosh's career enough to fully appreciate him but but I remember him as a more agile KPD where as Glass was a more dour back. Had the privelege of watching Glass's full career and I had concerns early in his career but he became an extremely reliable KPD and leader.

Thing Mackenzie once retired will be held in as high esteem as Glass and McIntosh. We've been blessed as a club with quality and dependable tall defenders over the decades when you add Monkey and Jak as well
I did follow McIntosh's career and it has to be remembered that, before suffering knee injuries, he was FAST. People at the time said he was the fastest player in the club, faster than Peter Matera (who, I think most will agree, was pretty damned quick !). I agree about MacKenzie by the way.

Got a lot of ground to cover in order to catch up to Mitchell White.
A lot of ground is a bit of a stretch tbh. Kennedy has as many runs on the board as Mitchell White - if not more.

White kicked 103 goals for eagles from 91 - 2000.....Kenndy has kicked a few more.

Got a lot of ground to cover in order to catch up to Mitchell White.
Really?
Mitchell White - 103 goals (Played for WCE 1991-2000, 1996 WCE Leading Goal-kicker and AA)
Josh Kennedy - 357 goals (Played for WCE 2008 onwards, 2015 Coleman and AA Vice-Captain)

Mitchell could also play in defence but I'd take Josh every day of the week personally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back