Opinion Who is the Eagles best ever full back?

Remove this Banner Ad

And that displaces 25 years of history before that.
We've had so many great centre half forwards in our history.
Like White, and, um...hmm....well Hanson and Ben McKinley. Surely you haven't forgotten McKinley.
Controversial - but I would have Spinks just edging out McKinley. Edging out Ilija Grigic

With the key forwards - surely Kennedy is in the eagles all-time team now?

Got a lot of ground to cover in order to catch up to Mitchell White.
zNMQAvi.gif

As a centre half forward in an "All Time Eagles Team" I would like to suggest Ross Glendinning. He only played for the Eagles for a couple of seasons at the end of his career, but was our leading goal kicker at that time.

As a centre half forward in an "All Time Eagles Team" I would like to suggest Ross Glendinning. He only played for the Eagles for a couple of seasons at the end of his career, but was our leading goal kicker at that time.

Although at the end of his career he was still a champion with us (still in good shape as per photo left!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Shep can keep it up, he will be in there over Bluey. He was possibly our most important backman this year and I can't believe I'm saying that after what we saw previously. Breakout.

Shep Appreciation Week helped this I feel. Kudos Bigfooty, Return the Wings, Power the Shep. We get s**t dizzone.

Love Shep and have been a fan since he first got to the Eagles but surely you jest in comparison to Bluey?
I am pretty confident Bluey will still be in our greatest ever 22 in 50 years. He was an absolute gun and arguably the best half back of the last 30 years in the game.

Love Shep and have been a fan since he first got to the Eagles but surely you jest in comparison to Bluey?
I am pretty confident Bluey will still be in our greatest ever 22 in 50 years. He was an absolute gun and arguably the best half back of the last 30 years in the game.
This is the problem with these types of questions, its a different game and people answer a subjective question with a subjective answer therefore you never get objective consensus really. I was around for McKenna, but only young so I can only recall what I did. Bit rich to say he was _that_ good that he cannot be surpassed, Shep has a lot of playing left and _if_ he keeps it up, I think he's more important in a best ever defence given modern footy.

This is the problem with these types of questions, its a different game and people answer a subjective question with a subjective answer therefore you never get objective consensus really. I was around for McKenna, but only young so I can only recall what I did. Bit rich to say he was _that_ good that he cannot be surpassed, Shep has a lot of playing left and _if_ he keeps it up, I think he's more important in a best ever defence given modern footy.

We are not the talking Kemp v Cousins here, Shep has a hell of a long way to go to be even talked about in the same sentence as McKenna. Now if he has another 8 years and better than he did this year then maybe a discussion like you put forward could be discussed. There is nothing Shep does in his game that McKenna wasn't doing, McKenna was the king of dropping off his man and taking intercepting marks, his disposal was as good as it gets.
Like I said I love Shep, he is one of my favourite players but he just is not in Mckennas world in my opinion.

Woosha will be surpassed as a player many many years before Bluey.
Yeah probably but as a complete half backline those guys had it all.

Held back alot of teams scores in a high scoring offensive era and scared the hell out of blokes.

Bluey was nominated for half back in AA team of the century, there was no way a West Coast player was ever going to get a spot though. To be in the conversation was an outstanding effort.

I loved Shep this year too but I can't see him surpassing the hunchback any time soon (ever).

We are not the talking Kemp v Cousins here, Shep has a hell of a long way to go to be even talked about in the same sentence as McKenna. Now if he has another 8 years and better than he did this year then maybe a discussion like you put forward could be discussed. There is nothing Shep does in his game that McKenna wasn't doing, McKenna was the king of dropping off his man and taking intercepting marks, his disposal was as good as it gets.
Like I said I love Shep, he is one of my favourite players but he just is not in Mckennas world in my opinion.
I think the first 6 words of my original post agrees with everything you've said bud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back