Who is the hardest workhorse in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyler Hodges

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76'ers
I think if this were a poll Riewoldt wins hands down, but who else impresses you with their sheer drive and work ethic?

Personally it's Matt Priddis for me. I went to a game at subi in the pouring rain in 2014 to watch Eagles v Richmond behind the interchange watching all the Eagles coming off, they were exhausted at times but Pridda was gasping like a dog every single time he came to the bench.

Laid 17 tackles or something that day and is a bloke who has gotten the absolute maximum out of himself due to his insane work rate. Who impressed you in the land of workhorse footballers?

Luke Ball first comes to mind willing himself to each contest

Also Joel Selwood never seems to give up and wills his team across the line

I'll never forget Hodge in the 08 I think granny when he was pretty much played with an injured lung

And maybe one from left field hannerbery spelling is bad but I didn't rate him until I saw his grand final, got crunched and still was running til the final siren when everyone was spent

Ed Curnow. Running machine who hasn't lost any condition after breaking his leg in 2014 and his ankle in 2011. Shutdown name inside and outside players that year.

Kreuzer doesn't stop running and putting in after a succession of leg injuries. Goldstein had more hitouts in 2014, but couldn't keep up with him and match him around the ground. Huge heart.

The bloke that covers up Buddys messes.

While its meant to be sensible this has to be rewarded.

N Jones from Melb comes to mind. For most of his career he has been the only one to play at his absolute 100% every single time he has played.

I wonder just how good he could have been at a real club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People suggesting Reiwoldt need to look up the definition of workhorse.

Calling him one is severely underrating his pure talent.

I've seen Crunow and Sidebottom live at a game. They are ridiculously freakish endurance players.
Tbh I always felt that Sidebottom was a frontrunner until I saw him live, he was ending up in acres of space through sheer gut-running, safe to say I came away with a new appreciation for his game. :thumbsu:
Though probably less talented, Simpson and Stanton both worth a mention for the same thing.

workhorse
ˈwəːkhɔːs/
noun
  1. a horse used for work on a farm.
    • a person or machine that dependably performs hard work over a long period of time.

Sounds appropriate to me..

Workhorse.jpg

Good candidates. I'd add Shane Mumford, David Mundy, Andrew Swallow, Callan Ward, Jordan Lewis, Liam Picken, Matthew Priddis.

Priddis is the undisputed workhorse at west coast but Andrew gaff is getting up there. In his early days he showed that he had the talent and class to be a future star but he couldnt cope a tag for two years. Then last year he worked hard to bulk up but surprisingly he also got fitter, as a result he broke tags last season by just running hard and burning off his opponents in the process. I cant remember which commentator said it (think it might have been Bruce) but he said that to run hard all day, non stop takes a bit of courage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back