Who is the most frustrating team to follow?

clivenator26

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2009
Latex Condo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Following Freo from 04-07 was very frustrating, I thought we were a top 4 level team for most of those years, we had some great wins, played some great footy but mentally we were weak and only played in one finals series (frustratingly giving up a 4 goal early lead in the QF against Adelaide), these were probably some of Pav's best years as well to add to the frustration. We were sort of like North have been the last few years, clearly capable but sometimes mentally they switch off and lose games you couldn't possibly imagine or give up leads.

From a different perspective the Dogs side of 97-98 would've been frustrating, that was a bloody good side & then from 08-10 playing in the preliminary finals against some of the best sides in recent memory, I reckon the Dogs side of those years were as good as the Sydney/WC teams of 05-06 yet didn't even get a GF because Hawthorn, StK & Geelong were powerful units.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
OK. I totally get the Richmond thing.

Spare a though for how frustrating the Dees can be:

1. Actually manages more wins in a season when tanking;
2. You wear the scarf out of the house, old ladies smile sympathetically and everyone else give you a look like "dude... seriously"
3. Every time you win a game, the whole story afterwards is about the team that lost and how they could possibly be that bad;
4. Jack Watts;
5. Queens B'day supporters at the match - only match some of them have ever been to ("go number 38!!! Score a try!!! etc);
6. Too many players have names that attract negative headlines like "Watts wrong with Jack?", "Howe can the Dees sink lower?" or "G-A-W-N! Gawn!"
7. There is so much hope invested in Jesse Hogan that I have to perform a voodoo ritual to reverse the wrath of the gods every time he is fawned over;
8. I am so unused to winning that I experience a full 24 hour psychosis every time it happens; and
9. I am so passionate hoping for any win that on game days I have to wear my lucky underwear, socks, deodorant and carry a 10 year old snot rag like Steve Waugh.

Last edited:

Lukey D

All Australian
Apr 9, 2010
Bundoora
AFL Club
Richmond
I wouldn't wish being a Richmond supporter on my worst enemy.

The anxiety I suffer I'm fairly sure has stemmed from following Richmond*

*Slight exaggeration but FFS, stop pissing me off!

who_let_the_dogs_out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Yeah I was thinking and would still probably vote for Richmond, but I also totally get that.

Will never forget the sight of Rohan Smith lying on the ground and punching it with his fist after the final siren in a Preliminary Final that the Scraggers had looked home and hosed in. I think it might have been Adelaide getting over your boys en route to a flag.

A vivid memory and one player who I suspect a lot of football fans would not have begrudged playing in a premiership team. Of course, being a good bloke doesn't actually count as such when it comes to winning flags.
I'll never forget that day.

And we've lost 4 more prelims since 1997 too. Good times.

Porked04

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
SA state of origin team. We lost by 10 goals last time we played and will never get a chance to atone

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton.

Mixed message after mixed message. Are we at 11 on the premiership clock or are we rebuilding? Are we rebuilding as of now or waiting til October? We don't have powerbrokers pulling the strings anymore...except for Bruce Mathieson.

Would you like another no. 1 draft pick to go with your complete lack of player development? Then come and support the Blues, where they know we're coming and they can smell what we're cooking.

Riccardo11

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2013
Allons-y!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Sydney, trust me on this..
tumblr_njfnfxAJ301ra11u8o1_500.gif

Riccardo11

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2013
Allons-y!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
The amount of times in my lifetime St Kilda has come close to success, only to fall inches short and then tumble down into the mire for an extended period is way more than frustrating. We are at around our fourth false dawn right now, and supporting them often feels like that story from Dantes Inferno about the guy in hell who has to push a boulder up a hill only to see it roll right down to the bottom again just as he gets it to the summit.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
The amount of times in my lifetime St Kilda has come close to success, only to fall inches short and then tumble down into the mire for an extended period is way more than frustrating. We are at around our fourth false dawn right now, and supporting them often feels like that story from Dantes Inferno about the guy in hell who has to push a boulder up a hill only to see it roll right down to the bottom again just as he gets it to the summit.
All that plus a grand-final tied game. I'd forgotten that. Some sympathy due

Being a Roo supporter I would think I should have a feeling of frustration??

Beacuse I don't I have to disagree with you.

No worries.

They appear to me to be one of those sides over the past few years though that would have driven their supporters mad. My cousin and quite a few mates certainly express those types of sentiments regularly.

WSmith

Team Captain
Mar 5, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Depends how old you are.
Im 29
Saints didnt get the flag but we have won minor flags, played in 3 grand finals all respectable losses, have won night flags, had huge streaks, brownlows, ive seen what 10 top 4 finishes.

Richmond in that time has seen nothing. No brownlows, only 2 top 4 finishes, no grand finals, no minir flags not even a lousy night grand final.

At least with the saints its been exciting. And if you add it up ive had probably 40 more matches to witness and enjoy thats nearly 2 years worth more than if I barracked for the tigers. Same goes for freo, dogs, demons too.

Saints far from the worst in fact if not for drug cheating, bounces of balls, deaths the week of grand finals saints would have 3 flags and be considered a superpower as the supporters wouldve come out of the woodwork and we'd have the most AFL FLAGS with the lions and hawks.
Yeah maybe we are the most frustrating!!! Why didnt luck go OUR WAY!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
No worries.

They appear to me to be one of those sides over the past few years though that would have driven their supporters mad. My cousin and quite a few mates certainly express those types of sentiments regularly.

Last year changed that for me - definitely in 2013 when we could not close out games. But last year we won 2 finals - 1 against our biggest rival and after being 33 points down. We also defeated all top 8 teams - not many had us making the Prelim at the start of the year.

Yes losing to the Blues and Bris in Bris was ordinary but most teams drop a game to lesser opponents. If this didn't happen the Hawks would have been undefeated in 2014.

Kerleys Ghost

Club Legend
May 23, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crows have lost 4 prelims in 12 years or something, a few other heartbreaking finals exits.

Richmond are just always shite. Not really the type of frustration we're talking about, just crapness.

St. Kilda would be the one.

Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
As a Richmond supporter who watched the infamous K.Hunt game against the Suns. That didn't 'frustrate' me - it caused full-blown, but temporary post-traumatic stress disorder.

Frankly, Richmond's mental effects on supporters are well beyond this thread

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its so surreal not seeing freo on this list. We are going through a good patch and the off field side of things is strong. But go back to pre lyon and absolute basket case.

Richmond and Carlton would frustrate the last couple of years. One sacks a coach so the new guy can take them all the way. The other is yoyo like.

It will be an interesting couple of years at wce, though they have had a successful history.

No worries.

They have won 2 flags in the 90s ffs.
Every one is Veruca Salt compared to Richmond supporters and we STILL have the third biggest membership in the league.

Back