Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 8, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Scorchers, Glory, Southampton
Just saw an article on afl.com.au and decided to make a thread on it.

Who is the best number one draft pick of the last 15 years?

my way of lloking at it would be, which player (if they were at the start of their career), would you draft?
who would fit into your team?
for mine, it would have to be a choice of N Riewoldt or Goddard, but O'Meara might be the pick at the end of 2015, & others after that of course.
cop out, I know. sorry.
my pick, Nick Riewoldt, & I reckon he is behind Brown & Pav, but still a champ.
Goddard 2nd.
O'Meara a rocket rising.
Deledio would get a game in any best 18, ditto Marc Murphy.
That's my 2 cents worth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lids had the potential to be the best player ever but has never quite put it all together. I'd have to say Hodge, then Riewoldt, then Goddard.

Lids had the potential to be the best player ever but has never quite put it all together. I'd have to say Hodge, then Riewoldt, then Goddard.
*Sees who he barracks for and shakes head*

*Sees who he barracks for and shakes head*

No s**t, see what I said right after that? It's indisputable that he has outlandishly freaky natural attributes. In terms of actual impact he hasn't been as great as others though. What's incorrect/biased about that?

Riewoldt, for mine. Champion player and leader. I wish he'd won a flag.

Hodge can't go unmentioned, though. Versatile, tough as nails, and twice recognised as the best performer on the biggest stage of all.

Even as a Hawks fan I'd probably pick Riewoldt. It's harder to find a great tall than a great mid. The thing that keeps it closest is that if Riewoldt had two Norm Smiths the Saints probably have two flags in 09/10. I seem to remember him being absolutely mugged by the Cats defenders in 09?

Even as a Hawks fan I'd probably pick Riewoldt. It's harder to find a great tall than a great mid. The thing that keeps it closest is that if Riewoldt had two Norm Smiths the Saints probably have two flags in 09/10. I seem to remember him being absolutely mugged by the Cats defenders in 09?

Riewoldt has played in three grand finals and failed to have a real impact in any of them. Was pantsed in consecutive weeks by Nathan Brown. That's the only blemish on his career though. Champion player and great leader.

I'd still choose Hodge over him though.

1st tier;
(1) Nick Riewoldt, (2) Luke Hodge, (3) Brendon Goddard

2nd tier;
(1) Brett Deledio, (2) Adam Cooney, (3) Marc Murphy, (4) Bryce Gibbs, (5) Josh Fraser

3rrd tier;
(1) Matthew Kreuzer, (2) Jack Watts, (3) Tom Scully

since 2010; (too early to tell)
(1) David Swallow, (2) Jono Patton, (3) Lachie Whitfield, (4) Tom Boyd
Whitfield could be ahead of Patton so far, Patton's knees scare me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back