Opinion Who is the worst person you've met in footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Met Brian Wison at a friends wedding reception many years ....
Was standing next to him in the pisser when I turned to him and asked him if he was enjoying the night. I then went on to say "you've got a familiar head......have we met before"
His response "Brian Wilson......I won a Brownlow doofus"

im surprised he didnt mention pet sounds as well :eek:

he could do it all, it seems.

My missus is an Adelaide girl and when flying home several years back sat next to Chocco Williams and Tredrea. She is a die hard Crow loving Port hater so wasn't thrilled. Said Williams was nothing short of lovely, he was chatting asking about where she was from and what she did, stirring her when she said the Crows and talked footy. Said Tredrea was a arrogant tool who just looked down his nose at her
I lived in Adelaide for several years, and while I never met the bloke, I worked with a port fan who also disliked Treaders for the same reason.

Was standing next to him in the pisser when I turned to him and asked him if he was enjoying the night. I then went on to say "you've got a familiar head......have we met before"
Wrote and produced Pet Sounds as well.

have heard some horrendous things about King. Including the club spending a lot of money to keep things quiet at one point. Havnt met him though
This the rumor the he hit Brad Ottens back in 05/06? That did the winds at Skilled back in the day, seemed to be a load of BS but they haven't gone away.

Joel Corey is an unbelievably nice bloke. Bit shy which may come across as rude/arrogant to some people but the 2 or so times I've chatted to him as never left the conversation for an obviously untrue reason/seemed bored.

Know his not a footballer but by far the worst I've met is Tony Jones. Bugger me is that guy arrogant. No footballers are immediately stringing to mind as I write this but sure there has been a few over the years.

Far to many good blokes to mention though, Cameron Ling, Gary Ablett, Jimmy Bartel, David Wojcinski, Steve Johnson, Mark Thompson (to chat to at least, back when I was in year 6 I asked for an interview for a school paper and he gladly did it... during training. Even said I asked better questions then most journos :D:D), Dale Thomas, Joe Daniher, Ryan Gamble, Cameron Wood, Brad Ottens, Dermott Brerenton (was getting pizza/chips for the SEN guys tonight at a level 1 food bar, had a good chat seemed like a ripper bloke). Some random players on that list I know but they're ones I've bumped into for one reason or another.

When I was 10 the Cats players went on their end of season trip to the Gold Coast and were on the same plane as my family. My dad sat next to Tim McGrath and spent the whole flight chatting to him about horse racing. Bluey signed a piece of paper and passed it around the plane for all the other players to sign to give to me (which I gleefully accepted, at that age you are probably in awe seeing AFL players regardless of who they played for). Very affable bloke.

A few days later we were at Movie World and guess who else was? Yep, dad and Bluey passed each other in the line for the Batman ride and had another chat. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I would shy away from using the term "familiar head" while standing at a public urinal. Just me.

Worst I've met personally: Shane McManus. Shoved me out of the way at the bar so he could get his order in. Barmaid was awesome, totally ignored him and took my order over his shoulder. Have also heard from a friend of him cutting to the front of a line at a bottleshop, when she asked him what he was doing he responded with "Don't you know who I am!?".

Best I've met personally: Brad Ottens.

Also, at a training session in Perth after all the players were on the bus, Chappy and Gaz got out of their seats and back off the bus to sign a few autographs for fans waiting around. Top blokes.

You hear stories about Scarlo obviously, but I always liked the idea of an old-fashioned full back who was a bit of a prick lol.

I met Scarlo just this week and he was actually pretty nice, even managed to get a smile out of him plus a photo and autograph.

I too was going add Biggy_Boy. Worst supporter I've ever come across. Adds nothing but vitriol to this forum. Fire him out of a cannon over to Melbourne.

Cannon won't look to good when you are done. My guess is what oozes out in how posts will do the same under cannon pressure. Gonna need a BIGGER hose..

Go Catters

I don't/didn't meet either, but I "liked" it because it fits in with my prejudices.;)

Had a chat with with Ayers other week. He sometimes works at a bottleo in Middle park. Was a great guy, spoke to him for 15 min's, mainly about VFL. He was watching a bit of box hill on his lap top ( was before port melb. played them other week) he said some of the young cats r going to be guns ( Jansen and Lang) but reason cats didnt make 8 was the loss of so many snr vfl players hunt, west and he suprisingly said chappy who i dont remember playing much vfl last yr.

Dad isn't much of a football follower, so it definitely wasn't a footy fan to accommodating celebrity type situation.

He was just a genuinally nice neighbor (once removed), who was happy to say hi, when the old man ran into him. Given some of the houses along the street and nearby are mostly foreboding mansions, with more levels of security, fences or hedges than an Australian detention centre, it makes me think that anyone who works at being a down to earth good citizen, despite having more cars than fingers, probably does not deserve the personal criticism he receives.

I suppose he is an entertainer, in the entertainment industry, which makes me question the honesty of Caro, when she tries to paint him as some kind of bad guy, despite there probably being a regular but motivated and successful person underneath.

I swear I can remember him saying this on radio one time - dunno who to or what station it was - but he alluded to 'Sam' being a character he played sometimes, and that 'John' lived at home! He may have been on the radio with Bobby Davis at the time but again, too many years and too many beers in between then and now.

Todd Viney when he was an AIS tennis player in Canberra - before he went on to play for Melbourne. Arrogant and up himself, God's gift to the World.

That was 30 years ago and I've not seen him since except on TV. Lucky me! :D

Sorry for intruding guys but think this is a great thread.
Best I've ever met: Ben Cousins during his time at Tigerland. I hung around after training as I had over an hour to kill before my train was due. He came out with who I can assume was a manager or someone, I asked for an autograph and photo and this bloke steps in and goes "Ben has a lot on today, no time for this" Cuz says "hang on, this guy has probably been hanging around for the last 45 minutes the least I can do is help him out" signs the jumper and personalised it and got a photo.
Matthew Richardson also would hang around after training or at family days until every last kid had his photo or autograph, great for a chat too.
Worst I've met while not footy related was Nathan Bracken (cricketer) we were at the MCG for one of the test matches he was 12th man for and he was heading down to the boundary from the viewing area, we were in the front row just behind the little shade thing they had on the fence for players. Anyway he said not right now and carried on his way which we thought was fair enough he probably had drinks to run. 30 seconds later he's saying to a trainer or physio "who the f*** do kids think they are asking for autographs.
Had a few good experiences with Lingy around Geelong, always good for a chat.

I've heard a ripper story about Steven King involving a certain female media personality.. Never met him but yeah he sounds like an arse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back