Who is this year's Matthew Boyd?

Remove this Banner Ad

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Most of us thought he was gone, washed up, and over the hill. Then along came a new coach with the ability to see things differently, motivate men, and surprise the hell out of us. So who will be Bevvo's Matty Boyd of 2016? Who will he reinvent and how?

I think the beauty of our list right now is that we don't have any that are done, washed up and over the hill. Someone that needs a spark and a bit of luck with consistency and injuries is Roughy though. Could single handedly push us to be a top 4 side if he becomes the flexible ruckman we need.

Matthew Boyd is this years Matthew Boyd.

f0tPnOP.png

For me i would love Clay Smith to be this years story of great
reinvention for the obvious reasons, doubt they will shift him
to the back pocket though.

Please let him have better luck than Tom Williams. He could be anything if that damn knee will just give him a chance.

Last edited:
Minno is the obvious candidate.
I have him in my round 1 team.

In terms of reinvention, I'll also nominate Libba. One of the game's best inside mids (lead the league for clearances in 2014 didn't he?), he has a brilliant left foot that Macca's gameplan didn't allow him to show too often.
I'm expecting Libba to kick more goals in 2016 even as he finds his way back at AFL level and shows he has attacking smarts too. Different role at times, he'll nail it.

Jed Adcock. Brisbane wrote him off as done and dusted, but I think he still has a lot to offer

This seems to be the most likely. It seems like Bevo brings out the best in versatile players. Gives them the confidence, the space, and the respect they require to bring out their assets.

Players who are not versatile (Minno) fall a bit by the wayside.

Players like Adcock though... I think he may bring him back to that very high ceiling. Look at the way Bris supporters were talking about him. Very similar to our perception of Boyd circa 2014 (albeit with different deficiencies).

Jed Adcock is the obvious one and Bevo has his fingerprints all over his acquisition.
Will Minson might be in the too hard basket because it didn't seem to work for coach and player last year. I still reckon he's a gun.

Some good suggestions. I think Minno is the likely candidate. Bev to turn a guy with a small leap and the reach of a t'rex into a contested marking beast...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't there a puff-piece article somewhere about Wallis having a new role in 2016 with more time up forward?

Wallis, I would say, had a break out year last year. Not quite sure if he can be like Boyd, who players have 2 criteria to meet to be considered relevantly similar:

1. Reinvented the way he plays
2. Back from the dead in career terms

I think that it is this second point motivating suggestions like Minno, Adcock, Clay, Hrovat and Hamilton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back