1. Trade, Draft and Fantasy Games

Climb into your very own coaches box!

Compete against your BigFooty friends!

Who Misses Out on the 8?

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by Jcpdragonx, May 4, 2012.

Put it out there
  1. TheKanga

TheKanga All Australian

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Arsenal
    My revised top 8 (top 4 in no particular order)

• Carlton
    • West Coast
    • Sydney
    • Collingwood
    5. Hawthorn
    6. Essendon
    7. North
    8. Geelong

Richmond, Adelaide and Fremantle will miss.
    Adelaide haven't proven themselves. Richmond needed to win against Geelong and West Coast they can't finish off games yet.
    Freo are a good side but will be unlucky and finish 9th with a low %.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Joker91

Joker91 All Australian

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Liverpool & Melbourne Heart
    People who think Collingwood will finish as low as 8th are kidding themselves.
  3. yoshi2284

yoshi2284 Senior List

Sydney
    Other teams:
    when swans and wce will lose this weekend, then they wont be certainties...:)
  4. Joker91

Joker91 All Australian

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Liverpool & Melbourne Heart
    Both teams will win by over 5 goals.
  5. bradrowe#32

bradrowe#32 Club Legend

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Rochester FC, Waroona FC, Pacers
    People are having a laugh thinking we'll miss.
  6. maelcoluim

maelcoluim Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    ^^ Doubt the Pies will miss the finals but from the evidence of the season so far they look like a bottom-half of the 8 team...not out of question that they could drop out of the 8.
  7. SwanBet

SwanBet Team Captain

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    1. West Coast
    2. Carlton
    3. Sydney
    4. Collingwood
    5. Geelong
    6. Hawthorn
    7. Fremantle
    8. Essendon
    --
    9. Adelaide
    10. North
    11. Richmond
  8. Sydney Bloods

Sydney Bloods Club Legend

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Holy hell that's an easy draw, only west coast , Freo and the mighty bloods should trouble you lot*

*obviously injuries will change this.
  9. NUFC Tiger

NUFC Tiger Spec Moderator

Richmond
    Other teams:
    NUFC, Socceroos, FGR, NewcastleJets
    Not having a go at North but you got over the line against an under par Geelong, had the chance to beat the bombers (and fell short), got smashed by Sydney, smashed GWS and had an expected win against GC (probably could and should have won by more).

While you have an easy draw and should make finals, I think it's a bit premature to say North can match it with the best and finish off games against top sides given you've only had 1 win against a probable top 4-6 team so far.

North will need to back it up and beat a few other top 4-6 teams to prove they can genuinely match the best teams going around. Saying North will make it when you've only beaten 1 top side while Richmond won't make it despite having a few close losses against such sides is a pretty simplistic view (though I agree, we lacked the poise and maturity to finish off those games)
  10. The Chiefton

The Chiefton Team Captain

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Tottenham Hotspur

Yeah we played them when they had 16 P/ship players in, while Richmond played them with 15 in and no Kelly, give us a spell. None of this 6 day bullshit, look at what Essendon and Collingwood dished up on Anzac day.

Also, North didn't get smashed by Sydney. Yes, the swans were in control for the majority of the game, but a 6 goal loss at the SCG against a bloody good side is not a thrashing. Not many sides will beat them there. One less scoring shot, even in a lot of the stats, just beaten by a better side. Although I suspect it may be a bit closer next time we play them in Melbourne.
  11. bulletproof

bulletproof Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Geelong
    On current form it will be Geelong, though Hawthorn may well fall out and one of Essendon and North could tail off dramatically.

Collingwood will finish hard I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. SydneyGoose

SydneyGoose Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    PHAFC
    I've been able to tolerate your irrational knee jerk reactions until this point. Swans haven't beaten the 'Pies in their last 10 attempts and if I recall correctly we couldn't beat them in our premiership year. Did that mean pie's were the better team in '05? No, just that they were and are good at beating the swans.

give up before you make yourself a complete mockery!
  13. tonkapies

tonkapies Senior List

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Come round 17 / 18 the scribes will be saying pies and cats flag to lose Both clubs building their season very nicely. Eagles Swans Blues and the Hawks can please themselves. regards the OP Crows or Essendon will probally miss, but wouldnt be surprised Hawthorn missing They seem to be a Franklin injury away from season going balls up.
  14. Blue and Silver

Blue and Silver BFSC Gold

Carlton
    Other teams:
    It's something quite odd that people keep predicting last years ladder with slight alterations, 1-2 changes max.

Everyone here is essentially predicting teams to play like they have in recent memory, predicting teams to win based on last year's ladder position more than this year's form. Whose to say Adelaide aren't the real deal and top 4 material? They've lost to Hawthorn, but that doesn't mean they aren't good.

The bottom 5 is relatively easy to predict, GWS, GC, Melb, Port and Dogs. None have looked up to scratch this year. Of the other teams St Kilda and Brisbane haven't been much chop, Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn have all been underwhelming, belying last years high finishes. Freo looked shaky last week, particularly in terms of disposal. They were certainly in the game, but scoring from turnovers happened WAY too often. Then there is North and Adelaide sides from the bottom end last year making a good show at this years top end. I reckon both are pretty good chances of making it.

Just my thoughts
  15. SydneyGoose

SydneyGoose Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    PHAFC
    Having contemplated the draw further I think there will be 11 big games this year that will decide the ladder.
    1. The Derbies will be crucial, if WC win both of those they will be Almost unbeatable to top spot.
    2. North Vs. Collingwood and Essendon Vs. Carlton in Round 21. If Essendon win here they can avoid a trip to perth in the finals.
    3. WC Vs. Sydney in Round 16.
    4. WC Vs. Carlton in Round 12. Carlton have shown they can win in Perth, also showing up Freo for 5-8 team in the process. If Carlton win this one they can almost take the minor premiership there and then (I know the season will only be half over, but IF Carlton are the kinda team that can beat WC in Perth they are the kinda team that will run out of the season in first).
    5. Essendon Vs. Sydney in Round 11. Last year it came down to a kick after the siren that missed and both these teams will be hungry for the double chance which will be on the cards by this point for both these teams.
    6. Hawthorns Aurora Games (Vs. Fremantle in Round 8 and Vs. North Melbourne in Round 10). These two will be the games that determines if Hawthorn are a finals bound team. I know most of you think that september is a long way away but if Hawthorn lose these games they can almost say goodbye to September.
    7. Collingwood Vs. Geelong in Rounds 8 & 16. These two games could determine who has to travel to Perth during first week of finals.

Personally I think Hawks will miss the 8.
  16. db swannie

db swannie Club Legend

Sydney
    Other teams:
    At this stage I can't see St Kilda making it. Too early to tell for the rest.
  17. Black Flag

Black Flag Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    st kilda is the only team from the op's list that has no chance.
  18. tonkapies

tonkapies Senior List

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    I think you left out a little game late in the year pies v swans.
    Head in the sand situation.. This game i think will ultimately shape the top 4 concerning both clubs. Pies 10 from last 10. If the pies win this game, the swans will probally travel in finals, Pies in sydney 95 % confident, pies v swans in a final at G, this is a gift.
  19. Macca18

Macca18 EFC

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Collingwood give the Swans nightmares.

You'd back them to beat Sydney - any ground, any time.

This will be the Swans most complete test in terms of their improvement this year.
  20. Tassieboy

Tassieboy BFSC Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Aurora Andruska
    Very true re us dropping 'easy' games. A massive issue, every supporter is wary of.
  21. simba_

simba_ eats fruit

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool
  22. NUFC Tiger

NUFC Tiger Spec Moderator

Richmond
    Other teams:
    NUFC, Socceroos, FGR, NewcastleJets
    Certainly not trying ti diminish the win over them Chiefton but I think most people would say if Geelong were switched on and played to their best, they probably should have won the game. At the end of the day, it was a North win and will show as such.

Agreed Sydney are a quality side and will be hard to beat up there. Maybe we differ on our opinions but I would consider a 36 odd point loss to a fellow top 8 side (I expect North to be 7-8th this year) to be a fairly heavy one. Maybe a bit harsh but that is my take.
  23. finders

finders All Australian

GWS
    Other teams:
    Cricket,Olympics,F1GP,Tennis,Boxing
    WCE
    Sydney
    Collingwood
    Carlton
    Geelong
    Essendon
    Fremantle
    Hawthorn

8th place runners

Adelaide
    North
    Richmond

Bottom dwellers

Port
    Saints
    Dogs
    Brisbane
    Melbourne
    GC
    GWS
  24. Plugger35

Plugger35 The umpires are always right!

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, Subiaco, Manly
    You've got an appropriate username.

We didn't just beat North twice last year we also finished ahead of them on the ladder and played finals while they didn't, the year before that we came within a bounce of a premiership while they missed the finals again.

Yet I'm the one being irrational for suggesting we're still a better team than North.:rolleyes:
  25. fairdinkum

fairdinkum Club Legend

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    It would seem you have Adel, North and Rich competing for ninth place, not eighth. God I hope we don't finish ninth again.