Who should replace Goodwin?

Remove this Banner Ad

rines

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
I believe Melbourne would be ultra stupid not to 'poach' Goodwin as Roos successor.. so that will leave a gaping hole in our coaching panel next year.

Who is your pick to be our next midfield coach/senior assistant?

lenny+oscars.jpg

Is this a thing, or is it just speculation?
Goodwin has already had a informal chat. Both clubs have agreed to Goodwin starting the 'formal' process. Those close to Melbourne say that Goodwin is in a top 3 for the role at this stage.

Melbourne likely to make a presentation to Goodwin later this week or next week.

From there they are expected to make a decision within 1-2 months.

So it is speculation, but I would have thought that Goodwin is the natural 'next one in' for the coaching ranks. Has gone very close to several positions from all reports and has now done an apprenticeship etc etc..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would hate to see Goody go :( but it opens a spot for Bomber.
So you think Bomber would want Assistant Coach? I would have thought he would prefer a strategy position (as Tim mentioned) or a development role or something 'high level organisational thinking' rather than midfield assistant...

Try and poach from list of assistant mids below?

Robert Harvey
Scott Burns
Adam Yze
Garry Hocking

or newbies like:
Lenny Hayes
Luke Ball
Daniel Giansircusa
Heath Scotland

Robert Harvey
Scott Burns
Adam Yze
Garry Hocking

or newbies like:
Lenny Hayes
Luke Ball
Daniel Giansircusa
Heath Scotland
Wouldn't mind Harvey.. or Luke Ball.

In fact I think Luke Ball would be an excellent pick up.. if he is interested in coaching.

I think this is a way to give Thompson a role. Midfield coaching is where he would excel as that is where the ball movement and all over ground defence is. These are Thompson's strengths. Line coaches can make moves in the box too so that would allow him to continue to help Hird without it every being stepping over the mark.

I think Thompson's weakness as a coach is setting up a brilliant half forward line. I would love to send Bassett to the backline and get a Hawthorn person in as the forward coach.

Hugh hole?

I can judge Goodwin in one way and it is the quality of his performances in the media and the clarity and insight of his communication. I've never been impressed.

If you're trying to assess his performance as a line coach, and I strongly suggest that we needn't bother because it is almost impossible, then you'd want to know why the midfield has leaved like a sieve up until this year when Bomber insisted on defence. But I don't see how it is anymore his "fault" than the coach and senior assistant.

Robert Harvey
Scott Burns
Adam Yze
Garry Hocking

or newbies like:
Lenny Hayes
Luke Ball
Daniel Giansircusa
Heath Scotland
You'd think Burns at least would be holding out for a senior gig by now - maybe Harvey too? Either would be great though.
I think Thompson's weakness as a coach is setting up a brilliant half forward line. I would love to send Bassett to the backline and get a Hawthorn person in as the forward coach.
Would probably be a bit stiff to move Egan on. Who is Hawthorn's forward coach? They just have generic assistant labels on their site.

get a Hawthorn person in as the forward coach.

BOLTS!

"Your players have 34 show cause notices and has incurred millions of dollars in legal fees and could face a player walkout and you should feel bad."

"Maybe so, but I'm just happy to be here and it's a great opportunity and it's great to be Tasmanian and I'm happy about that so I just wanted to take the opportunity to talk about being happy about football and life in general."

This is the media strategy we've been screaming for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back