Who stood out in our 2014 Finals Campaign

Remove this Banner Ad

The beauty of the 2 finals wins was that it wasn't down to the regular senior types to carry the flag. Without underplaying the efforts of Goldy, NDS, and those big moments of Wellsy and Dish, the fact that so many of our young brigade stood up made the finals all the more special. Cunners, JZ, Ats, Sammy Wright, Brown, LMac, and Turner were terrific.

I am not supporting or disagreeing.

I'm just saying that a poster who says Gibson proved he is an A grade midfielder (clearly wrong) is no different that claims Gibson is no good (clearly wrong).

So yeah, I think this board has a massive bias to our players and our results don't speak for such opinions. If they did we would have won the last 5 premierships. I understand all supporters will be biased, but a level headed supporter can see through the extremes.
Fairenuf and i Respect u for that as i was one who said Gibsons an A grader.. Alot of the media said the same thing and maybe A grade was abit of.. Yeah we all know he can make simple mistakes but his overall output over 4 qrts and what he brings to the team is close enough to an A for me..

Fairenuf and i Respect u for that as i was one who said Gibsons an A grader.. Alot of the media said the same thing and maybe A grade was abit of.. Yeah we all know he can make simple mistakes but his overall output over 4 qrts and what he brings to the team is close enough to an A for me..

Yeah no probs and it all comes down to what is an "a grader".

Regardless of whether Gibbo is or isn't and I think the latter, his hard running and continual provision of an option is important to a team that can at times be a bit stagnant.

This escalated quickly.

Anytime there is Gibson & MacMillan related comment, the board calls out to me for comment.

I am like the les twentymen of the NMFC board for alternative viewpoints to the gibboists & MacMillanists. Like old Les is the go to guy for comment on youth issues. I didn't ask for the job, I wish he would just hit a few targets and not melt so I could s**t up, but alas, he doesn't.

The media? The same media who call Wells, Thomas? Who call Turner, McDonald? Who call Cunnington, Cunningham? And don't even know Greenwoods name?

Please.

Nearly an A Grader?

Swallow is nearly an A Grader, Gibson is not even a B Grader.

He is probably a C, but with an A+ tank.

The question that must be asked is why he was never good enough for a midfield that has won the last 2 flags. They deemed him good enough for a grand total of zero games, yet we(some of us anyway) fawn over him like he is the 2nd coming.

I'm not being controversial, I couldn't give a s**t about my "secret" social medial profile. I come here to discuss the club whom I love.

And if I don't rate 10% of a team of 22, then shoot me. Because for anyone to get that worked up over some clown on the interwebz who doesn't rate player x is extraordinary.

We have Dal, Wells, Missy & Boomer as outside mids. He is next best, but with McDonald and Atley, he could/should be as low as 7th.

Who stood out in the finals? The team and the coach did. Its ability to win 2 finals in 2 very different ways under enormous media and supporter pressure/expectation etc was wonderful.

This escalated quickly.

Anytime there is Gibson & MacMillan related comment, the board calls out to me for comment.

I am like the les twentymen of the NMFC board for alternative viewpoints to the gibboists & MacMillanists. Like old Les is the go to guy for comment on youth issues. I didn't ask for the job, I wish he would just hit a few targets and not melt so I could s**t up, but alas, he doesn't.

The media? The same media who call Wells, Thomas? Who call Turner, McDonald? Who call Cunnington, Cunningham? And don't even know Greenwoods name?

Please.

Nearly an A Grader?

Swallow is nearly an A Grader, Gibson is not even a B Grader.

He is probably a C, but with an A+ tank.

The question that must be asked is why he was never good enough for a midfield that has won the last 2 flags. They deemed him good enough for a grand total of zero games, yet we(some of us anyway) fawn over him like he is the 2nd coming.

I'm not being controversial, I couldn't give a s**t about my "secret" social medial profile. I come here to discuss the club whom I love.

And if I don't rate 10% of a team of 22, then shoot me. Because for anyone to get that worked up over some clown on the interwebz who doesn't rate player x is extraordinary.

We have Dal, Wells, Missy & Boomer as outside mids. He is next best, but with McDonald and Atley, he could/should be as low as 7th.

Who stood out in the finals? The team and the coach did. Its ability to win 2 finals in 2 very different ways under enormous media and supporter pressure/expectation etc was wonderful.
Yeah ok Josh.Kennedy Third coudnt make it at Hawks either but hes one of the best mids in the league for the Swans.... Please!

Last edited:
Agree totally and he may even sneak in for a spot in the 40 man AA squad. Won't make the team though. Let's not get too carried away.

He's had a good year old Goldy but ah, you've got your Sandilands and Ryders and big sauce Jacobs and of course The Blitz at Geelong.

1369674038000.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's had a good year old Goldy but ah, you've got your Sandilands and Ryders and big sauce Jacobs and of course The Blitz at Geelong.

1369674038000.jpg
'Oh and the legend himself Nic Nat.'

I still believe Dal Santos calm and poise in the first quarter of the elimination final prevented North Melbourne from being 30 points down in the first quarter. Playing almost as a sweeper he mopped up so many forward 50 entries and was able to calmly and methodically hit a target. His much needed goal was the icing on the cake.

Overall for the whole finals campaign Wright impressed me the most. Trounced every opponent and was Harry Taylor like in reading the play. He has a first XVIII spot by the cajones now.

Petrie - 9 goals in three games, including some critical match winners

Dal Santo - Stood up when it counted

Wright - Came of age when the pressure was on

Brown - Not as good as Petrie but excellent to solid throughout the 3 games

Wells - Special mention just for his Elimination final after missing so long. Spent all his tickets in that game.

Petrie - 9 goals in three games, including some critical match winners

Dal Santo - Stood up when it counted

Wright - Came of age when the pressure was on

Brown - Not as good as Petrie but excellent to solid throughout the 3 games

Wells - Special mention just for his Elimination final after missing so long. Spent all his tickets in that game.
I'd add Cunners to that list.

His averages over the 3 finals included 26.6 touches a game, 15 contested with 6.3 clearances. This bloke is made for finals.

Yep, spot on and some really good points.

Don't worry about the poster who is taking pot-shots. Unfortunately there are people in here who make this board worse by either constant trolling or utter ignorance. I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.

That's a bit righteous don't you think? The poster has an opinion and he never attacks the poster when he is making a point. Even unpopular opinions should be welcomed or this board will just be a circle you know what.

I don't usually agree with Arjen but I do appreciate the arguments he makes.

That's a bit righteous don't you think? The poster has an opinion and he never attacks the poster when he is making a point. Even unpopular opinions should be welcomed or this board will just be a circle you know what.

I don't usually agree with Arjen but I do appreciate the arguments he makes.
Righteous or not, I don't really care. There is a fine line between unpopular opinion and trolling, and I consider this form of posting to be trolling.

It's great that this poster has a strong opinion about certain topics, but I'm calling him out as a troll who wants to be controversial on an internet forum. If that's his thing then good on him, it doesn't mean that I have to welcome it.

Sam Wright
Sam Wright
Sam Wright

Before the 2014 finals I thought he was a mid-paced, mid-height, mid-skilled, mid-smart, mid-tough fringe player. Capable of good stuff - capable of bollocks. But after the 2014 finals I want him in the team in Round 1 and play 25 games next year.

Last edited:
The thread is about who stood out in the finals...discussing who did and didn't would appear on face value to be rather appropriate.

Saying a single player didn't stand up isn't controversial though. There are 22 players and 360 minutes of football, and there were many better performers who deserve mention before he. I'm not sure that can be denied.

Robust discussion on a certain players skill set for their position in the team is what this place is all about.

I was at the essendon final and watched NDS closely. His off the ball encouragement and leadership was outstanding. He was extremely vocal. I just want to see this come out during the year to develop the younger boys

Wright shocked me. I really didn't like him as a player but some of his silky skills by foot and hand were fantastic while under pressure. Glad BS kept trailing him.

I loved Browns efforts in the finals. Very influential. To think he was playing with a injured knee just shows how much of a gun he could be

IRL you like Gibbo and JMac you've just picked them as your players to post crap about to rile people up on here.

As to the OP who stood out, for me it was Sam Wright.

He stood up in the first half of the game against the scum and without him we may very well not have progressed beyond the first week.

After having a couple of years where we put him in situations where he needed to stand up when the pressure was on and didn't/couldn't or struggled.

The intercept mark between Goddard and Watson is just about the moment of the finals for me. it was the point that we moved from slipping quietly out to actually having a crack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back