Strategy Who takes Christensen's spot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we be shopping around the second tier midfielders of other clubs? Someone around 21, 22, who has had a few years of development put into them already, but is not a required player.

Should we be shopping around the second tier midfielders of other clubs? Someone around 21, 22, who has had a few years of development put into them already, but is not a required player.

We SHOULD be. Haven't heard much about it though :(

He played one last year, but I don't think he played the full game

Shocked-Cat.gif

So, get on with it Match Commitee and lift your game (I think you were the weakest link this year MC, too conservative, played injured players). Back Jansen Lang, maybe Luxford, leave Thurlow in and innovate around how Kelly and other vets are used. Don't get into a position like we did with Kelly exposed on a Lindsay Thomas. And for Gods sake draft players who can play from year one this time around please.

That would mean about 1 player out of every 100 drafted. No one is ready to go immediately.

That would mean about 1 player out of every 100 drafted. No one is ready to go immediately.

Which is why we have to hit the trade period hard over the next few years IMO, need to pick up "at least" one ready made player each year or we're looking at a fairly dramatic slide down the ladder.

As good as Wells is, and let's be completely honest there's a lot of luck involved in many of his picks, there isn't a hope in hades of replacing all the players that will be retiring over the next two/three years through the draft alone.

Christensen only played 8 games last year, I think we were top 4 when he was re-introduced into the team mid year. As disappointing as it is, we will replace him.

I am really excited about Lang next year. What we need is a good run with injuries with players like Lang, Jansen, Hartman. We have just suffered too many injuries to young players. If these guys can continuity they are a chance to be really good players.

I think Hartman and Lang will be very close to starting 22 in round 1. Our side is going to look pretty strong again. Premiership winning? Probably not, but we can put together another strong campaign, IF, we get an even run with injuries.

The most important recruit might be the high performance training person.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reality is we can't go with the same mix of midfield again anyway. There had to be a change up, Christensen's body (or maybe mind) did not allow him to do the repeated two way running we needed from an elite midfielder. He was the polish, certainly. But I think his departure should see us change the mix. Newton or a similar type will come into provide the grunt work. So our inside mids will be Selwood, Caddy, Horlin-Smith, Newton (or other), S Johnson. On the outside, we will probably go with Duncan, Motlop, Guthrie, Lang Stokes.

Hartman (or Jansen) should be introduced as Guthrie's replacement as a lock down and Guthrie should be used more in the Christensen role, as both an extractor and the run and carry through the middle. The bonus is that Guthrie is far better defensively.

Hartman's aerobic capacity improved dramatically in one season, if he makes that leap again, he will be a useful presence in the midfield, running both ways. Get him involved by tagging, worked out ok for Langford didn't it?

Nobody in our squad can take Bundy's 'spot' because he is now like a Ballantyne or a Crowley - dead to me.

Nobody in our squad can take Bundy's 'spot' because he is now like a Ballantyne or a Crowley - dead to me.
Easy to say, but the team always wins out over the individual.
And I'm struggling with the departures of both Bundy and Varcoe big time.... but..
Bundy was not meant to be at Geelong, and he has given us some great service.
I will always watch with interest and fondness his future games, knowing that we educated him in a footy sense, & released him to the Lions as a ready made gun.

Last edited:
Easy to say, but the team always wins out over the individual.
And I'm struggling with the departures of both Bundy and Varcoe big time.... but..
Bundy was not meant to be at Geelong, and he has given us some great service.
I will always watch with interest and fondness his future games, knowing that we educated him in a footy sense, & released him to the Lions as a ready made gun.
your love child Varcoe is leaving, you must be gutted vdubs. All those years of sticking up for him.... wasted. :p:D

Christensen only played 8 games last year, I think we were top 4 when he was re-introduced into the team mid year. As disappointing as it is, we will replace him.

I am really excited about Lang next year. What we need is a good run with injuries with players like Lang, Jansen, Hartman. We have just suffered too many injuries to young players. If these guys can continuity they are a chance to be really good players.

I think Hartman and Lang will be very close to starting 22 in round 1. Our side is going to look pretty strong again. Premiership winning? Probably not, but we can put together another strong campaign, IF, we get an even run with injuries.

The most important recruit might be the high performance training person.....

You bet, we have to have key guys available at the right times, unlike this year.

Has this been confirmed yet? (or am I spoiling a perfectly good wind-up of Vdubs?)
Yes, Collingwood are taking him but they can't make it official until the Beams deal is done and they have the cap space to give him a contract. Word is the beams deal is sealed and the paperwork may go in tomorrow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back