Strategy Who takes Christensen's spot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe vdubs will barrack for the pies now :D:p
Is that a request, or a hope?
At least you supported him in 2010.
As said elsewhere, plenty of my "favourites" have left, and I cope?
I admit to enjoying GC play when Ablett plays. Will have to watch out for Varcoe in the vertical stripes; really hope his best is not past him, otherwise I was wrong. Not the first time.

I'll just repeat what I asked the other day. Name one ex-Falcon that actually has come back to Geelong.

I can't think of any. So apart from nostalgic pining for the 'good old days' when only locals played for Geelong, why should we think he's going to leave, and even then come to Geelong?

David Haynes and David Loats. Probably decided it's best not to pursue them.

Taking his spot is probably the wrong way to look at it. What we need is for Duncan, Guthrie, Caddy and GHS to all take another step in their career progressions, we probably need Kelly to play more midfield (since Bews is bashing the door down anyway to get a shot in the back six) and then we need someone like Lang, Jansen or Hartman to take the vacant midfield spot, not Christensen's, but the one left by the previous weakest link (for the sake of argument, say it's GHS), who is now playing at a significantly higher level. A footy team is dynamic, lots of moving parts. It's probably not going to be as simple as a straight swap: Jansen/Lang/Hartman for Christensen and the same production instantly.

I don't think time spent sticking up for Varcoe can ever be 'wasted'...
Just because he is (is it definite yet?) or might be leaving, it doesn't change what Vdubs or others think of Varcoe.
I can't wait for the book,Varcoe My Mythical Role At Geelong Exposed.

Its very interesting for me, as a Varcoe supporter for a long period of time, to see so many now saying we should keep him and waxing lyrical about his value to us. It's a pity they didn't speak up a little more while the Varcoe detractors were so loud in their sometimes vacuous critiques of him as a player ( and in some cases of him as a person) and who I see are still taking their last shots as he now drifts away into GFC history.

My memories of Varcoe will be of a 140 game dual premiership player, who was well regarded by his team mates, sought after by more than one opposition club as his tenure at Geelong came to an end, and who over came more than one serious injury in his quest to represent our club and contribute to our golden period (which he most certainly did), and who, furthermore, performed creditably in the heat of finals games on multiple occasions.

His "dagger to the heart" of the Collingwood faithful in the 2011 Grand Final will live long in the memory of those with regard for Varcoe's abilities.

It was, in essence,the perfect definition of sublime!

Of late, particularly after his reconstructions, there were many times when TV wasn't performing well enough, struggling with confidence and form, and clearly restricted, particularly with his tackling. He was given a role like all players are, ( which may have been "mythical" to some, but clearly wasn't to those who knew, understood and conceived the game plan on a weekly basis) and he clearly met the KPI's on most occasions thus leading to his constant selection. His performances during the last 6 weeks of the 2014 season, including during the heat of finals footy, show he still has something to offer and if he goes to the Pies, then I, and many others, will wish him well. He will always be a Cats player to me.

Despite all of this, I think getting Mitch Clark is a positive step for the GFC, and in the end, if its the best thing for TV to be cleared so we get him, then so be it. My love for Geelong outweighs my "affection" for any player.

We all hope, I know, that Clark justifies his selection by the club because we are Geelong supporters.

Personally, I think he will.

Its very interesting for me, as a Varcoe supporter for a long period of time, to see so many now saying we should keep him and waxing lyrical about his value to us. It's a pity they didn't speak up a little more while the Varcoe detractors were so loud in their sometimes vacuous critiques of him as a player ( and in some cases of him as a person) and who I see are still taking their last shots as he now drifts away into GFC history.

Firstly, I have never read anyone criticise Trav as a person, that's total bullshit. Varcoe has been dreadful for the last couple of years with the best form he shown was the last few weeks of this season (2014). This is not a vacuous assessment according to your patronising post, but one based on facts. I wish Trav all the best for the future, but I think it's a good thing he is going. It will be good for the team in the long run to have players who can actually perform on a consistent basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of late, particularly after his reconstructions, there were many times when TV wasn't performing well enough, struggling with confidence and form, and clearly restricted, particularly with his tackling. He was given a role like all players are, ( which may have been "mythical" to some, but clearly wasn't to those who knew, understood and conceived the game plan on a weekly basis) and he clearly met the KPI's on most occasions thus leading to his constant selection. His performances during the last 6 weeks of the 2014 season, including during the heat of finals footy, show he still has something to offer and if he goes to the Pies, then I, and many others, will wish him well. He will always be a Cats player to me.
Clearly they weren't that happy if they have shopped him around the last two seasons. Far to inconsistent within games and goes missing for quarters on end,he has had minimal impact the last two years since the injury of 2012,I acknowledge his better form towards the end of this season still not great but that form across the year would have kept him at the Cats INO.I agree Trav has given us some great moments as I'm sure he will Collingwood fans in the future but where we are situated right now in our rebuild we need hard working 4 quarter footballers.I wish Trav all the best if he gets to the Pies and I hope he does.

Firstly, I have never read anyone criticise Trav as a person, that's total bullshit. Varcoe has been dreadful for the last couple of years with the best form he shown was the last few weeks of this season (2014). This is not a vacuous assessment according to your patronising post, but one based on facts. I wish Trav all the best for the future, but I think it's a good thing he is going. It will be good for the team in the long run to have players who can actually perform on a consistent basis.

No its not.

Believe me, I was heavily involved in debate over TV and his character was questioned more than once.

I dont intend to get into debate over TV…I have done enough of it. … and like you, I think its a good move for the Cats to take clark for him. Power KPF's don't come along all that often.

I suggest in future you do your research before throwing your weight around.

That's it for me on this subject.

Last edited:
Still think Smedts should be tried in the midfield ala Dustin Martin

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

My memories of Varcoe will be of a 140 game dual premiership player, who was well regarded by his team mates, sought after by more than one opposition club as his tenure at Geelong came to an end, and who over came more than one serious injury in his quest to represent our club and contribute to our golden period (which he most certainly did), and who, furthermore, performed creditably in the heat of finals games on multiple occasions.

His "dagger to the heart" of the Collingwood faithful in the 2011 Grand Final will live long in the memory of those with regard for Varcoe's abilities.

Despite all of this, I think getting Mitch Clark is a positive step for the GFC, and in the end, if its the best thing for TV to be cleared so we get him, then so be it. My love for Geelong outweighs my "affection" for any player.

We all hope, I know, that Clark justifies his selection by the club because we are Geelong supporters.

Personally, I think he will.
I've always liked Travis as a player and just today I was on the phone with a mate (after the trade had happened) and he was legitimately baffled that I liked Varcoe and wished he could stay, haven't spoken to my brother yet but he'll likely be baffled too.

You speak of his grand final performance in 2011 which was one of his really good games. Well on that game, many talk about his sublime goal in the last quarter but the one that sticks out the most for me is the goal in the opening 20 seconds of the game, channel 10 commentator Stephen Quartermain encapsulated that goal perfectly "What a start for the cats" and it was, that goal from Trav set the tone for his game that day, and the team as well.

While I am a bit disappointed that his time in the hoops is over I can see why the club did the trade they did, power forwards aren't easy to acquire and if TV leaving gets one into the club then like you said so be it.

I wish Travis all the best and he'll always have my adulation and respect as a dual premiership player:thumbsu:

Great post, DtC
Just watching the highlights of his 2011 performance, particularly THAT goal- watching Eddie just drop his head - oh boy! That was a special moment indeed and Trav will always remembered for that hard gut running, which he still brought to every game in recent times. Yes, the coaches had options they could've used other than TV but I agree with your conclusion- "he clearly met the KPI's on most occasions thus leading to his constant selection".

Last edited:
Is that a request, or a hope?
At least you supported him in 2010.
As said elsewhere, plenty of my "favourites" have left, and I cope?
I admit to enjoying GC play when Ablett plays. Will have to watch out for Varcoe in the vertical stripes; really hope his best is not past him, otherwise I was wrong. Not the first time.

In a non-Geelong game, agreed. I do like watching Ablett rip another team to pieces.

Personally think Lang or JJ (only in centre bounces) is our best swap for Bundy. Hoping to see Lang play many games in 2015 because he is one of my favs (and will get him in Supercoach if he has good NAB Cup :p)

Still think Smedts should be tried in the midfield ala Dustin Martin

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

I really like this idea. He does have flare and plenty of toe but it's his body that may be worrying in the middle. Little fragile still, gets pushed off pretty easily.
Darcy Lang looks like something else, kid didn't have a full pre season and still managed to crack into the senior squad. His ferociousness when it comes to tackling is quite brilliant. Not only do tackles already stick but he can bring down players who have been in the system for years which indicates he has good core strength so perhaps he is one that may be a potential midfield smokey in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back