Opinion Who will be delisted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-31/two-rookies-upgraded-to-hawthorns-senior-list

So Dallas Willsmore and Zac Webster have been upgraded to the Senior List. Good on them: Willsmore has really impressed me in Box Hill, and Zac Webster seemed to be a jet before he got injured.

However this poses a problem. Each year you have to draft 3 new players. We retired Sewelly; Gartlett left; Hallahan, Lowden and Cheney were traded and Kelly was delisted.

We gained Frawley, O'Rourke and now Webster and Willsmore on the senior list. 6-4=2. We have two spots on the list, but we need to draft 3 players. See the dilemma? We need to delist one more player, unless there is a rule that says otherwise that I am not aware of. I originally would have said Grimley but it's reported that he's staying.

So I ask, who's leaving?

No one ATM....You can fulfil one position requirement with an upgraded rookie, which we have done with Willsmore & Webster.

There is still another window open where players can be delisted, though I doubt we'll be de-listing Grimley now given the need for a balanced list & an extra ruck/forward should injuries hit....He's a very lucky boy indeed to still be on that list!

Grimley was confirmed to be staying, he's contracted anyway. If someone was delisted maybe brand I haven't really heard anything about him in his 2 seasons. He could be a good player for all I know just don't hear to much hype around him

Grimley was confirmed to be staying, he's contracted anyway. If someone was delisted maybe brand I haven't really heard anything about him in his 2 seasons. He could be a good player for all I know just don't hear to much hype around him
Brand will be OK. Very solid year at BH.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-31/two-rookies-upgraded-to-hawthorns-senior-list

So Dallas Willsmore and Zac Webster have been upgraded to the Senior List. Good on them: Willsmore has really impressed me in Box Hill, and Zac Webster seemed to be a jet before he got injured.

However this poses a problem. Each year you have to draft 3 new players. We retired Sewelly; Gartlett left; Hallahan, Lowden and Cheney were traded and Kelly was delisted.

We gained Frawley, O'Rourke and now Webster and Willsmore on the senior list. 6-4=2. We have two spots on the list, but we need to draft 3 players. See the dilemma? We need to delist one more player, unless there is a rule that says otherwise that I am not aware of. I originally would have said Grimley but it's reported that he's staying.

So I ask, who's leaving?

In addition to Jordan Kelly, we also delisted Ben Ross & Derick Wanganeen.

There's your extra two.

I think we count the two rookie promotions as picks.[/QUOTE
In addition to Jordan Kelly, we also delisted Ben Ross & Derick Wanganeen.

There's your extra two.

They were on the Rookie List, not the Senior. This means that we have 4 rookie picks available this draft, it has nothing to do with the Senior List itself.

So far we have 6 out and 4 in. We have 38 on our list now but we must draft three. We have used two draft spots with the rookie upgrades so we only need to draft one and this allows us to take 5 rookies, we can also go to 2 draftees and 4 rookies.

Rookies are outside of the salary cap. I assume their is a minimum payment to rookies but is there any impediment to paying them more?

The list is in great shape. We have moved on some battlers, and outside of Grim, I reckon every player on our list is AFL standard. No need to get ready made players or back up, I hope we snag six speculative kids.

We dont need a mature ruck, if we have to bat 4 deep with our rucks we are stuffed. Grim is on the list and is being well paid, time for him to earn it, plus the difference between Grim and some fill in will not equal the opportunity loss by clogging up the list.

So far we have 6 out and 4 in. We have 38 on our list now but we must draft three. We have used two draft spots with the rookie upgrades so we only need to draft one and this allows us to take 5 rookies, we can also go to 2 draftees and 4 rookies.

Rookies are outside of the salary cap. I assume their is a minimum payment to rookies but is there any impediment to paying them more?

The list is in great shape. We have moved on some battlers, and outside of Grim, I reckon every player on our list is AFL standard. No need to get ready made players or back up, I hope we snag six speculative kids.

We dont need a mature ruck, if we have to bat 4 deep with our rucks we are stuffed. Grim is on the list and is being well paid, time for him to earn it, plus the difference between Grim and some fill in will not equal the opportunity loss by clogging up the list.
I agree with this we need a couple of speculative mids and kp forwards and quick backpocket

Rookie upgrades count towards the three. We don't have to make anymore changes before the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slightly off topic but I hope they make getting a haircut mandatory for Zac Webster before him being called up to the seniors. Can't image Jon Kennedy allowing this dishevelled mop anywhere near his list.

Zac_WEBSTER.png

Anyone else think we may rookie a senior ruckman?
Unless we dressed up Grimley and pretended he was Lowden and Luke is really still with us, yes. That said, don't think it needs to be a senior ruck, just a ruck on the rookie list should do. A ninteen year old with two or three years on list which should be enough time to make judgement on their development and Hale will be off list be then too

Anyone else think we may rookie a senior ruckman?
Dunno if there are all that many hanging around. Many of the pure VFL rucks this year were/are too undersized to be considered for the AFL. It was fairly uninspiring. Tigs tried it with the Big O this year, it was a failure and all you do is stifle your development players.

I appreciate it is de rigueur to laud Lowden and grimace at Grimmers but neither are much chop and the difference between them is negligible. We have got away with it for the last few years. I see no need to change unless another Cegs drops into our laps.

If we delisted Brand and kept Grimley, I'd start following Essendon.

Slightly off topic but I hope they make getting a haircut mandatory for Zac Webster before him being called up to the seniors. Can't image Jon Kennedy allowing this dishevelled mop anywhere near his list.

Zac_WEBSTER.png

With Spangher and Schoey playing senior footy I'd say Zac has nothing to worry about in the hair do department! As it happens last time I saw him playing for Box Hill he'd had a haircut anyway (of course he may be back to the mop by next season ;) ).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back