Who will be first to debut next year ?

First player to debut next year ?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully an upgrade on hill and Cripps next year. Although I like some of the things Cripps can do and think he may be a steady improver each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have this feeling if Josh Hill played with reckless abandon, played with real fired up intensity he could be unbelievable. I just don't think he will ever be that intense.

Cripps is still good. Probably depth not best 22.

I have this feeling if Josh Hill played with reckless abandon, played with real fired up intensity he could be unbelievable. I just don't think he will ever be that intense.

Cripps is still good. Probably depth not best 22.
Hill is just too soft. See how he goes this year knowing he's the first one to be cut if he doesn't have a career best season. Cripps played a fair few games last year, wouldn't surprise me if he's in Simpsons best 22 come round one. 5th year on afl list, he should step up a level.

Yeah, generally speaking the first to debut each year is the latest first selection. I think it's happened this way 6 times in the last 14 years (Judd, Johnson, Waters, Hurn, Brown and Sheed). Also Masten and Gaff debut first the year after being drafted but they shared theirs with our 2nd picks in their drafts, Ebert and Darling respectively.

Basically it's pretty likely that Duggan will be first to debt, although mature guys from the rookie list tend to do okay as well (Graham, Cockie, Sinclair).

Yeah, generally speaking the first to debut each year is the latest first selection. I think it's happened this way 6 times in the last 14 years (Judd, Johnson, Waters, Hurn, Brown and Sheed). Also Masten and Gaff debut first the year after being drafted but they shared theirs with our 2nd picks in their drafts, Ebert and Darling respectively.

Basically it's pretty likely that Duggan will be first to debt, although mature guys from the rookie list tend to do okay as well (Graham, Cockie, Sinclair).
6 out of 14 is not very likely

Hopefully an upgrade on hill and Cripps next year. Although I like some of the things Cripps can do and think he may be a steady improver each year.

Newman has a LONG way to go before knocking off Cripps for a position. Cripps is easily the best player for that role at the moment, having shown he can contribute regularly to a reasonably high standard throughout 2014.

Newman can get huge all he wants, he's got a lot to show on the field before i imagine he'd be considered to play AFL, let alone take someone's spot in the best 22 as a rookie, who has played 1 nab game in 18 months.

Newman has a LONG way to go before knocking off Cripps for a position. Cripps is easily the best player for that role at the moment, having shown he can contribute regularly to a reasonably high standard throughout 2014.

Newman can get huge all he wants, he's got a lot to show on the field before i imagine he'd be considered to play AFL, let alone take someone's spot in the best 22 as a rookie, who has played 1 nab game in 18 months.

Watching training Cripps trains with the forwards, where Newman is training in the mids.
That may mean the club sees them as different players

Watching training Cripps trains with the forwards, where Newman is training in the mids.

Which is surprising. Certainly bodes well in regards to Muzza though!

Cripps sucks

YOU suck.

It's hard to gauge just where Newman is going to play when one moment everyone is harping on about his goal sneak credentials and think he's going to be our new zippy forward pocket, the next minute he's Daniel Kerr.

Point is, Cripps is best 22 and Newman certainly is not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lot of 'new toy syndrome' here with the greatest focus, apart from the odd mention of Karps, being on the 'new kids'.

Does that mean we 'struck out' with draftees of the previous year?

For mine - I have NFI
Maggie would be the first to debut if he were on the senior list, so instead either Hacksaw or Muddy Jr will probably get a couple of games before Maggie gets elevated. Barrass and Powell will take a few seasons to be ready to debut being KPP's. Wouldn't be out of the question for McInnes to get an early game in case of an injury/suspension to a KPP and a couple of decent showings in the WAFL. Would be surprised if Karps or Main gets a game early, if at all next year.

I don't know a lot about Murray Newman and looking at the 2011 draft combine results he didn't finish top 10 in any test, although the tests don't really show what a player can do. What are the outstanding features of his game getting some people excited, is it speed, indurence, contested ball winning, agility ETC?

I don't know a lot about Murray Newman and looking at the 2011 draft combine results he didn't finish top 10 in any test, although the tests don't really show what a player can do. What are the outstanding features of his game getting some people excited, is it speed, indurence, contested ball winning, agility ETC?

It's known as the 'Fanboy Effect'

Speed, skills and agility mostly. That's why I reckon he's an important player going forward.

Cripps sucks

Haha he's a limited player that is somehow managing to eek out reasonable production (in 2014 anyway, not 2013).

He's an okay role player but has limited scope and I can't see him being anything more than a defensive forward ala McGinnity.

We drafted Newman for a reason and that is we lack that agile pacey indigenous player who can win their own ball but also has pace on the spread from contests . He also has silky kicking skills going inside 50 to our forwards .

We are very poor in drafting , trading in or developing indigenous players !
We have traded in hill Wellingham bennell JON dick
Drafted weedon ,Stevens, Newman , karpany Broome
And tried to lure yarran wells varcoe bennel and Christiansen .
The only players to have come close to cementing a spot are
hill - depth player
Wellingham - far from impressive
Bennell - was dropped mid season

Wellingham ( finger removed ) Newman and Karpany are players IMO that could transform our pedestrian one dimentional midfield to a more dynamic unit and I think Simpson knows it and why he has put a lot of faith in bennell last season , putting a rocket up Wellingham and taking such an interest in Newman

Right hook?

Cripps sucks

Wow...I see Cripps as having a lot of upside.

First year under Simmo 19 games
27 Goals at 2:1 accuracy
15 Goal Assists
70+ Tackles

Who are the plethora of other 22 year old 6' forwards that are making these numbers look like a joke?

Cripps did ok considering he is fighting for goals against 3 decent forwards. Its just whether he can be consistently good and needs to be able to help out more in the midfield. Averaging 11 disposals isn't that great.

Back