Who will be first to debut next year ?

First player to debut next year ?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Newman is one im really positive about going into next season. If we look at things from an optimistic perspective it's basically another recruit for the season. Same thing with waters. If 1-2 players from outside the best 22 can force their way in it makes us a much stronger side with better depth.
As has been said you cant be optimistic as it means we have had a long term injury for him to even be able to play.

Should be healthy competition for the rookie upgrade spot mid season though.

Bit hard to get a game when you are in jail.

That's kind of the point though?

Newman's actions have definitely set him back, but that's the reality we have to deal with now - one of our more promising players went and basically skipped a year of development (two really). He can still make it, but it's ludicrous to suggest that he's more valuable to our side than Cripps in the next 5 seasons let alone the next 1.

In other words, it's all very well to say that Newman might have been our best Flank/HFF/FP option had he not gone off the rails over the last two seasons, but the reality is that he did, and while I sincerely hope he can make it to the potential he had back then, he's starting again from further back and he has a ton to prove. In saying this I do believe that he will be in our best 22 in the next 2-3 seasons (if nothing else, he's in the right age bracket), but so is Cripps and the latter has done more to earn that spot.

Has anyone actually said Newman should start ahead of Cripps? I think there are a few fibs told when it comes to Newman. I think Newman will be the better player but no one is making big calls.

To be honest we don't know a hell of a lot about this Newman as a player anymore, he's pretty much missed two years of football through this affair and physically he's changed a hell of a lot. He was drafted at 179cm and 70kg and he's now what 182cm and 83kg?

Newman as a junior would bring a lot to the table that we've been lacking with his zippy speed and agility. He always had some midfield applicable features in his game, with strength over the ball for his size to go with quick clean hands. It's his impact on ball that i'm interested in seeing because i don't doubt he can play a role as a punchy half forward.

Has anyone actually said Newman should start ahead of Cripps? I think there are a few fibs told when it comes to Newman. I think Newman will be the better player but no one is making big calls.

lycett is as better forward than Naitanui. I can see a time when Naitanui and McGovern share the ruck (rotation maybe) and our forward line will be....

darling...Kennedy...lecras
lamb......Lycett.....newman

#unstoppable
If you want to draft more riksy, you should also want us to give a greater chance a player like Newman, who has superior upside, rather than a player like Cripps, who's pretty safe at this point.

Since most people on here wanted to be more speculative in the draft..
Looking at training Waterman more likely than Duggan.
Newman looks like he should be best 22 he will be first rookie upgraded.
Simmo had him involved in all mid drills, and kept saying well done Muz.
Duggan looks like he will start at half back/wing when he gets a game, he wasn't in a lot
of mid drills.
Cripps sucks
Both are better players than Cripps and perform their roles better.

We've gotten the best out of Cripps that we could have IMO. Let's Chad morrison him out of here
Newman. Why would he even need to have an immediate impact?

It's like picking Ed Cowan instead of Joe Burns for tomorrow's test

You're pretty much right dajesmac , nobody apart from Lewigie has really come out and said Newman should start ahead of Cripps. It's just been implied by several fansters that Newman should be best 22 this year, and that it will be Cripps's spot he takes.

You're pretty much right dajesmac , nobody apart from Lewigie has really come out and said Newman should start ahead of Cripps. It's just been implied by several fansters that Newman should be best 22 this year, and that it will be Cripps's spot he takes.

I dont think Newman playing means Cripps doesn't.
I feel Newman is more mid than Cripps.
But honestly would like us to play two small forwards.

Yeah one poster just said that Newman has greater upside, another had Tom Lamb in the other pocket...and Lewigie was more just dissing Cripps. Only RE said he was best 22 and that's been clarified above.

I'm not sure why people who like Newman are fanboys haha. I disagree that there should be a blanket ban on rating unproven players.

I dont think Newman playing means Cripps doesn't.
I feel Newman is more mid than Cripps.
But honestly would like us to play two small forwards.
I definitely think a zippy forward pocket will be on the shopping list next year if karpany and newman are seen as more midfielders .Hope we don't continue to go too tall again this season

I definitely think a zippy forward pocket will be on the shopping list next year if karpany and newman are seen as more midfielders .Hope we don't continue to go too tall again this season

I don't think we'll be drafting anyone exclusively as a small forward. Newman and Karpany certainly weren't, and i'm not sure them playing midfield minutes opens up a small forward role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As he is virtually a new recruit, I'll put up Newmans u/18 highlight video.
You can see why they drafted him.

Have to remember that was 3 years ago, playing against teenagers.

Might as well just put up Mastens highlights as well, and see how he dominated. In fact....

He's going to be a JET

Have to remember that was 3 years ago, playing against teenagers.

Might as well just put up Mastens highlights as well, and see how he dominated. In fact....

He's going to be a JET

I didn't say he was going to be a star, I said he was virtually like a new recruit.
As we have almost no sample to work off, it's the closest thing available for viewing...Which still gives you an idea on the way he likes to play.

No need to be a Wayne Kerr.

Time to bump this one although it's being discussed in other threads. What are people's thoughts now Mckenzie is injured?
With Darling still a way off we are short on talls it seems. I originally picked McInnis based on the darling issue.
Does anyone know why he's not playing in the NAB?

Time to bump this one although it's being discussed in other threads. What are people's thoughts now Mckenzie is injured?
With Darling still a way off we are short on talls it seems. I originally picked McInnis based on the darling issue.
Does anyone know why he's not playing in the NAB?
I could see us lining up Like this r1:

Butler/Shepperd Brown Bennell
Hurn McGovern Schoey

Having to play McGovern down back means a space opens up forward while Darlings out. I could see him being the next Darling, he'll be first to debut.

It took Gibbs 8 years to really step it up maybe Masten will do the same this year? He had an excellent 2013 and not quite A grade but he played some pretty good football. If he can add some goals to his game like he did in 2012 i can think he can take the next step.
Have heard Simpsons really put a huge amount of work into Masten and Wellingham during the off season,mths most of any player. I'd love Masten to have a break out year.

I would think if Lamb and Nelson debut first it wouldn't surprise me. Nelson looks composed and I could see him displacing Butler. Lamb looks a likely type but I would imagine McInnes would play a nab challenge game or two to see how he goes at Darling's role.

With injuries now I think McInnes will debut 1st .

Was impressed with Nelson and also the work rate of Tunbridge and Karpany even though they struggled to find the ball I liked there work rate .

Think lamb might be a sneaky chance for the green vest round 1.
Nelson could be upgraded due to all the outs in the back line we have had recently, see him playing a role off the Hb being developed as a Mid, Lamb could also début rnd 1 as the sub.

Back