Who will be our best-performed midfielder in 2014?

Who will be our best-performed midfielder in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ian Dargie

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Definitely Scott Selwood. I look at that list above and get really worried, we have nowhere near the class or ability in the middle that most other clubs have.
That's why it's all about Naitanui, isn't it? And hopefully incremental improvement from all the guys listed who are under 25.

WCEbrody

Premiership Player
May 17, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea,Chicago Bulls
Shuey, played with a bit of arrogance in the pre-season and should get a lot of confidence from games against WB/Melbourne and St.Kilda in the first 3 rounds.

I've been saying the same thing for the last 2 years though so what the f*** do i know.

Naitanui2Shuey

Debutant
Mar 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
In terms of impact, I think Shuey, with Masten not far behind. I'm not expecting a Beams-like break out year from Shuey, but I expect to see an increase in disposals and goals from last year (around 25 disposals per game and 20 goals). I'm also interested in seeing how both Gaff and Wellingham go. Both could surprise. Gaff should perform much better this year with more experience on how to handle a tag, as well as a fit midfield to take some pressure off him. Wellingham looks fit and ready to make amends for last year. Interestingly he had his best season statistically (averaging 21 disposals and a goal a game) if you discount the match against North when he got injured in the first 10 minutes. He should be in for a good year.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
I'd go with Masten.

But I think once Yeo gets significant minutes in the guts he'll be our best midfielder.

I'd vote Yeo if I knew he'd actually play in the guts. He's our next big thing. But went with Masten.

Like it's been mentioned above, Shuey is our best mid, but from what we've seen it appears that he dies when somebody puts the shackles on him.

Gaff is a classy fella. I even considered him in my SC, with simmo's new gameplan and all. But he's a massive seagull and needs the ball put on a spoon and fed to him too often for my liking. Good to see he's totally "bulked up" and everything this year too right? Right? Him and Sheppard both.

Scooter will go back to tagging. And even if he doesn't, he simply doesn't have the skills to be anything more then a B+ mid. Ala Boyd, Kornes, Thompson

Wellingham is an interesting one. From what I've seen over his few games, he's total silk when he has the ball in his hands. He bought a fair bit of mongrel and aggression with him from the ferals too. Something we have zero of. I like that. However, he doesn't look like he gets enough of it. I'd like to see him average mid 20 disposals this year. I'd like to see a lot of things though.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
That's a big call. Even if your observations are accurate.

I think for him to be our best mid we would be looking at a a disposal average of close to 25 a game. As I said, the Rising Star would be a no-contest considering we are a good chance to be a top 8 side.

Only really Priddis and Shuey standing ahead of him.

Masten. Has a clearly defined role suited to his size and abilities that prevents him from cutting it as a top line midfielder.
Wellingham. Has production issues and is better suited to utility roles than Sheed.
Selwood. Literal definition of a dumb footballer. Stick to tagging son.
Gaff. Can't win his own ball.

Forget the others listed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

erbenz

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
On impact, Shuey, on numbers, Masten.

Masten's role should be akin to Marc Murphy's around 2011. Undersized Inside midfielder who uses his elite endurance, skills and smarts to deliver into the forward 50 on the outside, can rotate into the middle often enough to support the bigger bodies whilst not being the main show and when resting in the forward 50, roost it home for some sausage rolls.

LordHaart

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Best performed in terms of their impact on the midfield, or best performed for their role in the midfield?

Masten has been playing his HFF role very well, and if Selwood returns to tagging I think he'll be just as good in that role. But while those roles are obviously important, I think Shuey has the most chance to drag our team up the ladder. He just needs uninterrupted games without injury so that he can figure out the tag a bit better and be match fit every week.

As for 'rising star' for our team's midfield - Sheed looks likely, with Yeo and Colledge the dark horses depending upon if either of them get serious midfield time this year.

beatlesmith

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Roberts Rd
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Cavs, West Perth
If past performance is anything to go by, Masto will be the most consistent contributor, but Shuey will play the best individual games.
If Masten can pick up the 25+ touches he did last season while returning to his 2012 goalkicking form, I'll be confident in saying that he's our best performing midfielder.

Back