Who will be our best-performed midfielder in 2014?

Who will be our best-performed midfielder in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Getting Selwood out into space is crucial. His defensive pressure around packs is excellent but he's a butcher when it comes to contested disposal.

Shuey had 8 contested possessions and four clearances from 14 disposals over three quarters, while Selwood had 6 contested possessions and 2 clearances from 29 disposals over four.

It will be interesting to see how far we can go without a genuine elite midfielder. Assuming that remains the case, we're going to have to play a pretty disciplined, hard-working style of pressure footy. That's where Selwood sets the standard.

Which is why Hutchings will be crucial.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Masten has followed a similar trajectory to Rosa. There was a point there where Rosa improved about 10% for a few years in a row, and Masten is doing that right now.

Masten is clearly a bigger deal though.

I tried to eat the weight of my own awesomeness. It took me four years.

Not surprised. Finding it would have been as elusive as the search for MH370

Xsess

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2007
On top of the world
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm shocked Lecras hasn't been flagged in this thread. For the first time in two years he's fit with a top pre-season under his belt. One of the classiest players we have, deadly around the sticks, creative around the ground and good overhead. Has noticably bulked up too. I reckon he's the smokey of our squad, could play up the ground as a deadly attacking midfielder. Already has on BOG to his name and 5 goals.

Last edited:
If Shuey was a little more 'high volume' he'd be a shot. He's a goal kicker and can run and carry. But it seems like there are long patches where he's unsighted. He bobs up in the third quarter today and does a couple of great things - I had almost forgotten he was out there.
The other team certainly knew when he was around - you can't underrate that effect.

Lyyynnnchy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm shocked Lecras hasn't been flagged in this thread. For the first time in two years he's fit with a top pre-season under his belt. One of the classiest players we have, deadly around the sticks, creative around the ground and good overhead. Has noticably bulked up too. I reckon he's the smokey of our squad, could play up the ground as a deadly attacking midfielder. Already has on BOG to his name and 5 goals.

As a purely offensive mid he could be quite good but his tackling is horrendous, even the smallest of players can break his tackles

Ian Dargie

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The other team certainly knew when he was around - you can't underrate that effect.
Turn it up.

We're not going to start rating midfielders based on whether 'the other team knows they're around'.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast

Needs to play like that against the top 4 teams.

Xsess

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2007
On top of the world
AFL Club
West Coast
As a purely offensive mid he could be quite good but his tackling is horrendous, even the smallest of players can break his tackles

Remember, he had a broken arm last year. The thing is we have the buffetting, defensive players like Selwood and Priddis, we need some flair on the outside. If our structures hold up, I can see Lecras killing it.

Back