Prediction Who will be our biggest improver in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
This off-season we've had threads speculating as to who would be the 'most important player for 2016', and who makes the 'best 22 for 2016', but I'm not sure that we've had a thread with posters predicting the 'most improved player' on our list in 2016.

There are plenty of candidates, with a majority of our players having seasons which were down on their best form, and only a small handful of our players putting up their consistent best or making a stong impression.

Enright, Selwood (in patches), Duncan (when fit), Blicavs, Guthrie, Motlop and Hawkins, played either consistent or improved/encouraging football - more of that form is more or less expected of them in 2016, injuries permitting.

But seasoned campaigners players such as Taylor, Bartel, Mackie and Lonergan had seasons which I'm guessing they'd be a bit disappointed in. Any one (or more) *could* come good and make significant a contributions next year, but all may continue a steady decline. Who would you back?

The up n comers represent the other side of the coin; promising young players who made stuttering strides last year in what was a very inconsistent team.
Lang was named best first year player, Thurlow had a sustained run of very promising form, Nakia Cockatoo showed that he was raw but athletically gifted and ready-to-play physically, and Cory Gregson showed a lot of dash and heart. Older recruit Rhys Stanley showed moments of immense potential. Horlin-Smith looks to have overcome his injuries and by all reports is as fit has he has been.
How far is Caddy from his ceiling both talent-wise and endurance-wise?

Then there's the oft injured quartert of Menzel/Vardy/Clark and Cowan. Add Smedts to that list.
Are any of you willing to put in on the line as to who might surprise us all with a career-defining 2016?

Lastly there are more peripheral players who could make a great leap forward into regular game time, with maybe Murdoch leadng this bunch from Kersten, Bews and maybe Menegola.

Put it on the line and take a stab who it might be.

Last edited:
Guys like Guthrie and Caddy showed the level that they'll be last year they'll just be doing it more often.

Cockatoo is an easy one, between entering the season under prepared for the level and getting the vest multiple times just having that extra pre-season will allow him do more than just rely on his crazy talent. It wouldn't be a break out season but he'll be a lot better.

It wouldn't surprise me if Cowan plays double digit games averaging 16+ disposals . But IMO it wouldn't be an improvement just him showing what he can do when he's injury free.

I don't think GHS will get enough gametime through the middle to show us his best, same with Menegola.

I think Lang will statically stagnate since he won't get enough midfield minutes. When he finally does he'll be a very good player until then he'll do his job as an okay small forward.

Most players will just need to do a little more of what they are currently doing like Thurlow, Kolodjashnij and Gregson. I expect small improvements rather than any massive step ups.

Guys who could improve by a large amount if they can fix up their "fatal"(for the lack of a better word) flaw
Bews needs be more composed when he has the ball, he could easily turn his run and carry into a weapon if he fixed up his disposal his teammates would give him the ball more as he is deceptively fast. Murdoch just need to improve his decision making he pulls the trigger and kicks long.

I'm backing Bartel to have a massive year.

Taylor will be All Australian again.

I'm gonna take a shot and say Shane Kersten will be our most improved player by seasons end. His ability to drift out of a game to the point you literally struggle to see him out there is quite spectacular but I do think he's a slow developer. Like Caddy, some guys take a while to blossom and if he can just gain confidence very early on in the year, it will go a long way to helping his maturity as a footballer.

A young improver - Cockatoo! Full pre-season, hopefully some more midfield time, being mentored by Dangerfield himself!

A mid-aged improver - Guthrie! Running off half back & rotating through midfield will help us a lot with his good use of the ball & offensive running.

An older-aged improver - Taylor! Henderson in takes another forward so Taylor may get some more free roaming taking those intercept marks.

Mitch Duncan if fit, and I mean improve if he gets back to the form he was in before his injury last year and does it for the majority of the season.
Yep his form before he went down last year was stunning.
rk842.jpg

I'm going to say Caddy, Thurlow and Kolodjashnij.

Caddy will benefit form the arrival of Dangerfield. With Selwood and Dangerfield receiving the close checking, it takes the pressure off Caddy somewhat to perform and I think he'll come into his own as a result.

Thurlow had a injury interrupted pre-season last year and when he finally made the side he showed just how much talent he has, but he dropped away later in the year as a result of that lack of fitness during the pre-season.

Kolodjashnij will be a star for this club, that I'm confident in. With Scarlett taking him under his wing, that can only be beneficial. I expect him to play 22 games, cement his place in the side and become an important defender in 2016.

Taylor will be All Australian again.

I'm gonna take a shot and say Shane Kersten will be our most improved player by seasons end. His ability to drift out of a game to the point you literally struggle to see him out there is quite spectacular but I do think he's a slow developer. Like Caddy, some guys take a while to blossom and if he can just gain confidence very early on in the year, it will go a long way to helping his maturity as a footballer.
The problem for Kersten now as I see it is he has left the door open the last couple of years for other to get their nose in and with Menzel and Vardy returning and the possibility of us playing 3 Talls at times if Clark comes good it will be really hard for him to get back into the side even for the odd game here and there, harder this year that the last couple of seasons.
He may well improve but it would need to be spectacular for him to be best 22 at the end of the year.
My candidate is Darcy Lang his 18 possessions 2 goals 1 against the Hawks in rd19 last year stamped this young bloke as a fair dinkum footballer in the making to me, and he will be one of the biggest beneficiary of the Dangerfield signing IMHO.

Last edited:
The problem for Kersten now as I see it is he has left the door open the last couple of years for other to get their nose in and with Menzel and Vardy returning and the possibility of us playing 3 Talls at times if Clark comes good it will be really hard for him to get back into the side even for the odd game here and there, harder this year that the last couple of seasons.
He may well improve but it would need to be spectacular for him to be best 22 at the end of the year.
My candidate is Darcy Lang his 18 possessions 2 goals 1 against the Hawks in rd19 last year stamped this young bloke as a fair dinkum footballer in the making to me, and he will be one of the biggest beneficiary of the Dangerfield signing IMHO.

Agree he's a third tall not a KPF, I cant see him getting any games this season. Honestly I think its Murdoch who occupies his spot as a high marking forward. Murdoch also has more mobility giving him the nod. I'd like to see Kersty in the squad, just think he lacks a few cards up his sleeve especially in the running department.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One needs to define "Biggest"....
If a player like Jock C who is a Rookie , then goes and breaks in for games..that a big improvement over his draft rating , same logic.. if Menegola gets several games etc. Could Blitz be our biggest improver when he just won the B&F?

Of course biggest seems to infer someone already at the club but all of Henderson, ScottS and Smith have the chance to be considered improvers if they just return to their previous best. Henderson for me is the one who seems ready to embrace being in a winning side , like Rivers he knows he has talent yet has felt the impact of playing in a stupefying atmosphere

Generally id say , someone who played a few games becomes a regular thats a pretty big improvement. The guys who I hope fall into that are Menzel , Vardy and Kolo...perhaps NC5 due to his brilliance could make that jump even though only in his second year.

If we are looking for someone to elevate to an A grade player , its probably someone that has already shown that level of performance in spurts but is not yet recognised because of inconsistency. If the side lifts with its additions , the aura of the side starts to return then players Duncan , Caddy , Guthrie will start to gather reputation just like Kelly and Bartel did after 6 years in the system.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by improve. Those coming from a low base obviously have easiest job to improve the most. If this is what is meant then the obvious 3 for me are Kolo, Thurlow and Cocky. I have previously nominated Kolo and Thurlow as best 22 by season's end - and I am not sure about Cocky - he may be best 22 or he may not. Depends on how much senior exposure he gets this season.

If he gets enough senior time I think he could improve greatly - and that still might not get him a finals game if the list is largely injury free.

I know I am a GFC fan so I am biased and do not know the same amount of info about other teams youngsters as I do Geelong's. However I really do think we have potential guns in Thurlow and Kolo - and Lang looks pretty good as well.

I just cannot predict what Vardy, Menzel and Clark will go as they have had serious issues to get over so I find it hard to guess what they will do. For me they are the bonus players for us this year.

Kolo - He is already good but can see him playing 20 consistent games this year and go very close to winning the rising star. Has so much poise with ball in hand, great one on one, and his disposals are very efficient. One of those players you no will be an A grader

Jackson Thurlow for me. He looks ready to take the next step and after a full pre-season rather than an interrupted one such as the one that he had heading into last season, he's ready for a massive break out year IMO.

He's mature beyond his years and already one of the best kicks in our team, if not the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back