Prediction Who will be our biggest improver in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

If Thurlow, Kolo, Lang and Cocky all do well this season - you have done it again Wells. Sure 3 of them are first round picks but not low first round picks - being overlooked by a few clubs.

Gregson did very well in his first season and obviously a very good get as well by the recruiters.

If these 4 put it together this season then with the FA recruits we obtained - we will be in very, very good shape. They all have a bag of good tricks and will also make our team quite a quick side - which is a real bonus IMO.

Last edited:

I will also put my name down alongside Thurlow.

Has all the tools. Has done his apprenticeship.
Looking forward to him playing as an attacking mid size defender. Harley but with a much more offensive side to his game.

And because I like to dream more than some others on here, I can also see him playing forward a la Gunsten if we strike trouble with Menzel, Vardy, Clarke (and he can be spared down back).

If Thurlow, Kolo, Lang and Cocky all do well this season - you have done it again Wells. Sure 3 of them are first round picks but not low first round picks - being overlooked by a few clubs.

Gregson did very well in his first season and obviously a very good get as well by the recruiters.

If these 4 put it together this season then with the FA recruits we obtained - we will be in very, very good shape. They all have a bag of good tricks and will also make our team quite a quick side - which is a real bonus IMO.

Very true ... although how sweet it will be if we get a player from the 2015 draft. Not that will show this year. Even some smart picks do not work out so if the 4 you have named become strong players for us , its a huge tick for him and his dept.

Last year went safe and chose Lang.

Going for unlikelies this year in Kersten and Menegola despite a strong argument (which I agree with) that either will be lucky to get a game.

Kersten..... different to others we have on the list, doesn't need many possessions to make a significant contribution. For me the question mark is his defensive side.

Menegola...... been on two lists previously, unsuccessfully, but now playing much better footy and in a different role. Superior fitness.... an advantage with no sub, he's seen how his mate and training partner (Nat Fyfe) can improve so ideally has the belief.

If either can get a senior game I just have a feeling they might be hard to displace!

Dare I say....Josh Cowan.

Lincoln McCarthy to improve on his 2015 season to a greater degree than Cowan did in his 2015 season.:eek:

Last edited:
I'll go with a smokey. Jordan Murdoch. If only because there seems to be a disconnect between public opinion and the coaches, so I'm hoping he can prove his value this year. Cara's review said that they were looking to him becoming one of the most dynamic and damaging players in the comp, so I reckon he needs to improve a lot to earn that label.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very true ... although how sweet it will be if we get a player from the 2015 draft. Not that will show this year. Even some smart picks do not work out so if the 4 you have named become strong players for us , its a huge tick for him and his dept.

I agree. Many of my non Geelong supporting football mates keep saying we have given away too much to get the 4 FAs we got. So imagine if the 4 FAs all play well for us AND we still got a player in the 2015 ND or Rookie draft ! I think that would seriously shut them up.

I personally think they are just a bit pissed off that Geelong was able to do all the deals we did - as most of them when I mentioned the 4 FA players we were after - they said it will never happen - then when we got the 4 players they said we paid too much for them !

I agree. Many of my non Geelong supporting football mates keep saying we have given away too much to get the 4 FAs we got. So imagine if the 4 FAs all play well for us AND we still got a player in the 2015 ND or Rookie draft ! I think that would seriously shut them up.

I personally think they are just a bit pissed off that Geelong was able to do all the deals we did - as most of them when I mentioned the 4 FA players we were after - they said it will never happen - then when we got the 4 players they said we paid too much for them !

I think we did pay "overs" because we wanted it done , and done quick... probably a debate thats been done and done.... and paying for FA's , sort of nullifies the label.... but the kids we drafted have a chance , probably a good chance , which would astound plenty.
and if the guys we have brought in start playing well for us...the cost will quickly be forgotten.

If we are to have a good year this needs to be hotly contested
I think we will have a good season and for the meat tray I'll have Thurlow closely followed by Lang and Kolo with plenty of stunning cameos from Cocky

Cara's review said that they were looking to him becoming one of the most dynamic and damaging players in the comp, so I reckon he needs to improve a lot to earn that label.
Nothing short of being bitten by a radioactive spider will cause this to happen.....

One thing for sure is that we are in for a ride this season. Some reputations to be made, and perhaps also dashed , along the way... Spotlight (and blowtorch) will certainly be on blokes like Menzel,Cowan, Clark, Stanley,Vardy (Smedts) Murdoch to finally step up . Watch the knives sharpen for Bartel, Boris,Lonergan and/or Mackie if they start to taper off.
Hawkins also needs to regain some some of his effectiveness.
Can Selwood junior make an impact?
Is Joel done as some have been suggesting?
Second year blues for Gregson?
Overall though, I think if we can keep the wheels on, this train might just go the journey.

oh yeah and my breakout guys..Darcy Lang and Koloalphabet..

Last edited:
One thing for sure is that we are in for a ride this season. Some reputations to be made, and perhaps also dashed , along the way... Spotlight (and blowtorch) will certainly be on blokes like Menzel,Cowan, Clark, Stanley,Vardy (Smedts) Murdoch to finally step up . Watch the knives sharpen for Bartel, Boris,Lonergan and/or Mackie if they start to taper off.

So it should be too.

Watch the knives sharpen for Bartel, Boris,Lonergan and/or Mackie if they start to taper off.
Like the first month of 2015 when Enright started slowly. The executioners were sharpening their blades!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back