Toast All things Paul Roos + Coaching: McCartney joins coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

wtf is a strategy coach and coould our shitness with the midfield be a reason for this confusion?

Yep, they've done well.

Not to say our approach has been wrong, I'm sure they know what they're doing but we honestly could have done with Bassett.
SANFL is very different to an AFL environment though.

Take this with a grain of salt but I've heard from someone that knew him well when he was playing with Melbourne (so yes, around the time when the pyramids were being built)... and this person was adament that they had never met a more arrogant, vain self-centred w***er than Nathan Bassett.

Now, it's highly likely he's matured since then and could be a reasonable bloke now, but I also read on Demonland recently that Bassett is very much considered a "my way or the highway" type coach and that doesn't translate well into AFL circles normally. Can work well at lower levels but when you have a fully-loaded football department there's no room for that method.

Peter Jackson and Paul Roos are human and prone to errors in judgement like the rest of us but I'm very very confident they'll get the right man for the job and clearly Bassett in their opinion wasn't it. Good enough for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So happy we got our man in Stone...Hope he lends a hand with young Hogan after the work he did with Dunstall and Plugger.

I think Black would be an excellent addition. He's so close to the Brisbane list that coming to Melbourne could be a good thing. A bit of distance as he transitions from senior player to assistant coach. That and learning the caper from Roos, rather than a first time coach in Leppitsch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back