Prediction Who will crack the best 22 in 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, best 22 can change over time. Otherwise we'd be playing the same team now that we were 5 years ago. That's kind of the point of this thread, to decide how much our best 22 has changed since last season. Which is why it's silly for people to request that we don't talk about who might get dropped. If you're going to name a best 22, then that necessarily includes talking about who is not (or no longer) in the best 22.
Yeah, I agree the discussion has to include inclusions and exclusions.

Don't agree that the exclusions have to include "he's a spud", "he can't kick", "he is a turnover merchant" etc. Not saying you have said those things, it just seems some (E.g. Zac D) bear the brunt of ill-informed opinion on our boards at times.

Seems like he will be this year's whipping boy!

Yeah, I agree the discussion has to include inclusions and exclusions.

Don't agree that the exclusions have to include "he's a spud", "he can't kick", "he is a turnover merchant" etc. Not saying you have said those things, it just seems some (E.g. Zac D) bear the brunt of ill-informed opinion on our boards at times.

I think it's fair enough that people want to list their reasons why, not that I agree with their assessment of Dawson.

But the person I originally replied to wanted to end all talk about who was out, and only talk about who was in. That's just childish.

We are at a stage that to improve some of our younger players have to force their way into the team; Otherwise we stagnate and then fall backwards.
That means that the likes of Weller, Blakely and Langdon (I think that maybe Crozier has missed the boat) have to be given an opportunity to play in the NAB cup - and they have to grab it. From what I have seen Blakely is the most likely. Problem is for those three is when you look at the team sheet and say who do they replace. Then it gets harder.
Pearce should be an able replacement for big Mac but needs to overcome whatever is ailing him at the moment.

We are at a stage that to improve some of our younger players have to force their way into the team; Otherwise we stagnate and then fall backwards.
That means that the likes of Weller, Blakely and Langdon (I think that maybe Crozier has missed the boat) have to be given an opportunity to play in the NAB cup - and they have to grab it. From what I have seen Blakely is the most likely. Problem is for those three is when you look at the team sheet and say who do they replace. Then it gets harder.
Pearce should be an able replacement for big Mac but needs to overcome whatever is ailing him at the moment.
Would be disappointed if your comment that Crozier may have missed the boat is correct. He did get opportunities last season, and in my opinion he failed to make the most of that. But he is clearly a talented player and still has growth left in him.

Would be disappointed if your comment that Crozier may have missed the boat is correct. He did get opportunities last season, and in my opinion he failed to make the most of that. But he is clearly a talented player and still has growth left in him.
Crozier IMHO is a clutch player in that whenever we needed him to kick that goal he does. Finding more of the footy will happen as he develops his game. He is still young.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

RTB and his new staff have also designed a 'can older dogs learn new tricks test'.
Specifically for Zaarke,Subinator,De Pig,Croz...other candidates to be advised.

RTB and his new staff have also designed a 'can older dogs learn new tricks test'.
Specifically for Zaarke,Subinator,De Pig,Croz...other candidates to be advised.

This can be said of the entire squad.
There is no doubt whatsoever that they have changed their pre-season focus from running to skills.
For example, at Monday's session all the forward entries involved numerous short passes to find the player in the best position to shoot on goal.
Time after time there were the Hawthorn specials , 13-15 metre chips. Low, flat daisy cutters.
Now, the way I interpret this is, this is how we will play in 2016.
Plus it looked impressive.

Crozier is still young and can still improve.
TBH, a while back I was thinking Sheridan was done, then he burst in and displaced Duffield.
If we keep a player on the list we probably think he still have a chance to succeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not pedantic.
Think back to Johnson pushing a red scooter up until 5 weeks before the season, and played.
Yaz has been building. Being in the rehab group is part of the deal. It Is all preparation.

I get that and I fully expect Yarran to line up for freo eventually this season. I just don't see him replacing Mayne any time soon. Also important to remember Johnson is a proven performer at AFL level where as Yarran isn't yet. So time spent with the rehab group is more detrimental to Yarrans chances of lining up round one but it won't have any effect on Johnson.

I think it's fair enough that people want to list their reasons why, not that I agree with their assessment of Dawson.

But the person I originally replied to wanted to end all talk about who was out, and only talk about who was in. That's just childish.
After reading previous post, YDRAW, Dudley please accept my apologies that I tell JMT not to give his his opinion about certain player for best 22 independently before NAB Cup that cause this mess. Basically JMT post is refer to me directly not to discuss anymore rather than YDRAW.

Best 22:

Spurr Dawson Johnson
Ibbotson A. Pearce Hill
Bennell Barlow D. Pearce
Fyfe Pavlich Walters
Ballantyne Mayne Clarke/Griffin

Sandilands Mundy Neale

Morabito Sheridan Sutcliffe Weller

Round 1 team:

Spurr Dawson Ibbotson
Sutcliffe Johnson Hill
Sheridan Barlow D. Pearce
Fyfe Pavlich Walters
Ballantyne Mayne Clarke

Sandilands Mundy Neale

C. Pearce Suban De Boer Weller

Best 22:

Spurr Dawson Johnson
Ibbotson A. Pearce Hill
Bennell Barlow D. Pearce
Fyfe Pavlich Walters
Ballantyne Mayne Clarke/Griffin

Sandilands Mundy Neale

Morabito Sheridan Sutcliffe Weller

Round 1 team:

Spurr Dawson Ibbotson
Sutcliffe Johnson Hill
Sheridan Barlow D. Pearce
Fyfe Pavlich Walters
Ballantyne Mayne Clarke

Sandilands Mundy Neale

C. Pearce Suban De Boer Weller

Nailed it !!!

Fair call, I can see the logic in that. For me though, a player can be "best 22" one week and nowhere near it the next. Zac Clark is a classic example - at his best he is an automatic in the best 22, but then inexplicably his form will drop and he's behind Jon Griffin.

I don't believe there are any "locks" in the best 22, just those whose current form, fitness and availability - coupled with their abilities - makes them best 22 on any given week.

Interesting discussion though...
Hey Dudley You know Dawson is definately a "lock" in the Best 22 by whatever definition you choose :D:D:D:D:thumbsu:

Hey Dudley You know Dawson is definately a "lock" in the Best 22 by whatever definition you choose :D:D:D:D:thumbsu:

You - haters
You can said he is spud,
you can said he cant kick,
you can said he don't have attacking ability
You can said how many goal kick against him
You can said Zacy C sound better than Zacy D
But you ain't going to stop me saying that there is only 21 spots to fight for because Zacy D is permanently lock in that one spot until he retire.

I love Zacy Dawson until uebergang upgrade to main list .

Last edited:
So the round 3 derby is here and it's going to be tough to win. I've resigned myself to a season involving quite a few more losses whilst we transition to the new game plan and personnel. Therefore not expecting we'll finish top 4 but hoping we still make finals and will be in a good situation to be competitive in September. Given the new game plan and being on the cusp of a few retirements I am keen to see what ideal line-up Ross and his coaches have in mind for the future? I suspect a change to pace and class from our current list and to recruit in some high quality KPPs to fill key players that we will lose shortly. Minus potential recruits (and future draftees), maybe a B22 with maximum pace looks something like this (have omitted anyone over 27)...

B Sutcliffe Collins Morabito
HB Hughes A.Pearce Tucker
C Bennell Fyfe Hill
HF Langdon Uebergang Walters
F Yarran Apeness Crozier
FOL Clarke Blakely Neale
I/C Sheridan Weller Grey Balic

Possible others: Suban, De Boer, C.Pearce, Taberner, Smith, Hurley, Hannath, Nyhuis, Deluca

Throw in McCarthy or Hogan and apart from Clarke in the ruck (Can Sandi just keep playing until he is 40?) I'd be pretty confident that this team would do well in a few years. Good balance, ideal age demographic, very few weaknesses if they all keep improving.

So the round 3 derby is here and it's going to be tough to win. I've resigned myself to a season involving quite a few more losses whilst we transition to the new game plan and personnel. Therefore not expecting we'll finish top 4 but hoping we still make finals and will be in a good situation to be competitive in September. Given the new game plan and being on the cusp of a few retirements I am keen to see what ideal line-up Ross and his coaches have in mind for the future? I suspect a change to pace and class from our current list and to recruit in some high quality KPPs to fill key players that we will lose shortly. Minus potential recruits (and future draftees), maybe a B22 with maximum pace looks something like this (have omitted anyone over 27)...

C Bennell Fyfe Hill
F Yarran Apeness Crozier
FOL Clarke Blakely Neale

Possible others: Suban, De Boer, C.Pearce, Taberner, Smith, Hurley, Hannath, Nyhuis, Deluca

Throw in McCarthy or Hogan and apart from Clarke in the ruck (Can Sandi just keep playing until he is 40?) I'd be pretty confident that this team would do well in a few years. Good balance, ideal age demographic, very few weaknesses if they all keep improving.
At least with that side they would all stop banging on about how old Freo are and how our window has shut.

I love the look of it and your right it would be a pretty good side provided the players continue to develop and improve.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

C Bennell Fyfe Hill
F Yarran Apeness Crozier
FOL Clarke Blakely Neale

I understand the thought process but I think you have gone too young (under 27 ) .Ruckmen and tall kpp's don't reach their best until they are 27\28 so I thinks there should be some adjustment to your team Walters for one is a bit of an omission .

Ni
I understand the thought process but I think you have gone too young (under 27 ) .Ruckmen and tall kpp's don't reach their best until they are 27\28 so I thinks there should be some adjustment to your team Walters for one is a bit of an omission .
Not intended as an exact science. But I think we've got guys over 30 who are amazing and our guys in their late 20s are serviceable but probably aren't going to improve and play in their 30s. Some exceptions perhaps :) Walters is there at HFF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back