Prediction Who will crack the best 22 in 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

You're spot on but it's not his ability to read the play that's the problem it's his ability to make the play. To be so good at intercept marking he needs to read the play. He just doesn't have that natural creativity or flare to make the play
Yeah Scham I worded that badly - he reads the play coming at him beautifully, just doesn't read the play unfolding ahead of him quickly, therefore as you say he's not as creative as he could be.

You're spot on but it's not his ability to read the play that's the problem it's his ability to make the play. To be so good at intercept marking he needs to read the play. He just doesn't have that natural creativity or flare to make the play

The intercept mark and then the quick kick to Mundy in the Richmond game and the after siren winning goal probably says otherwise.

I generally agree with scham's assessment. One swallow doesn't make a summer.

He was really indecisive again in the prelim. The constant desire to go back (from the collective) may have led indirectly to Tommy's tragedy.

The intercept mark and then the quick kick to Mundy in the Richmond game and the after siren winning goal probably says otherwise.
And Ibbo's intercept spoil vs. the Swans at Subi last year that resulted in a goal and snuffed out their comeback was rather beautiful too. Ibbo's brain fades are largely a thing of the past - he's a key component back there and well deserving of his elevation to the AA squad last year.
I generally agree with scham's assessment. One swallow doesn't make a summer. He was really indecisive again in the prelim. The constant desire to go back (from the collective) may have led indirectly to Tommy's tragedy.
Indecisive? I've relived the horror of that game several times and agree with how the match summary from afl.com.au rated him as below - pretty steady. There are many others I'd single out as the culprits before Ibbo on that painful night.

Garrick Ibbotson – 7 

Provided a steady head in defence, taking some good intercept marks. Took 15 marks and had 24 disposals.

One of the features of our early season form was how well Ibbo was combining with Johnno in mounting drive from defence. IIRC, RTB mentioned the loss of drive from defence when reflecting back. I believe one of the reasons we lost that momentum is that Johnno went down and Ibbo's role changed.

Last edited:

I didn't accuse him of being blind. If there's an obvious option, he can see it and act but struggles to think things through when nothing is obvious.

Very pedantic in any case Salim.

I didn't accuse him of being blind. If there's an obvious option, he can see it and act but struggles to think things through when nothing is obvious.

Very pedantic in any case Salim.

How do you get obvious out of a brilliant intercept mark followed by a split second decision and then the ability to perform the perfect pass.
The deer in the headlights call on Ibbo is rubbish. Maybe the blame should be the lack of movement and options down the ground when he is coming out of defence.
The call used to be on his lack of courage but that furphy has been well and truly put in the bin.

How do you get obvious out of a brilliant intercept mark followed by a split second decision and then the ability to perform the perfect pass.
The deer in the headlights call on Ibbo is rubbish. Maybe the blame should be the lack of movement and options down the ground when he is coming out of defence.
The call used to be on his lack of courage but that furphy has been well and truly put in the bin.
Lack of movement in our forward line is definitely a major weakness. What I find strange is that some posters complain about how a player (e.g. D>pearce) constantly bombs it long and then also have a go at some of the players who try and create through switching play. It simply doesn't make sense. Im not sure how there can be a debate on here about Ibbo when he is far more creative and decisive with ball in hand than Spurr. We are seriously in the silly season on here at the moment.

Johnson returning to full fitness in a creative role and Sutty returning to the confident player he was in 2014 will go a long way towards complementing the steady play of Ibbo appear more decisive. It is lack of options up the field that caused the slow transfer of play up the field. I would not want a player who takes a ton of risks, surely there would be turnovers as a result.

Last edited:
Im not sure how there can be a debate on here about Ibbo when he is far more creative and decisive with ball in hand than Spurr.
First Dawson and now Ibbo - you guys are crazy! Nah... On this matter I completely agree with you. Nothing wrong with Ibbo's decision making imo, just hard to always make snap decisions when there aren't enough good options presenting themselves. I think the reason he is such a good defender is because he will generally make the decision quickly if there's a good option but doesn't just blaze away if none of the options are great (like so many other defenders do). He has poise and allows the time if necessary for someone to present a suitable outlet.

As much as I am all for moving the ball quickly it still needs to be done effectively with a low risk of a back half turnover followed by a quick repeat entry inside 50 that is almost impossible to defend against. Ibbo and Johnson are ultra reliable, we just need the others to step up to provide better outlet options and our transition should be both effective and fast. Feels a bit weird being part of the lynch mob this time (I reserve the right to change sides for that reason alone).

Who will crack the best 22 in 2016?
Ans :Those that not playing for peel thunder in 2016 , struck by serious injury or rookie list by freo.No more argument with who to drop or replace.:eek:

First Dawson and now Ibbo - you guys are crazy! Nah... On this matter I completely agree with you. Nothing wrong with Ibbo's decision making imo, just hard to always make snap decisions when there aren't enough good options presenting themselves. I think the reason he is such a good defender is because he will generally make the decision quickly if there's a good option but doesn't just blaze away if none of the options are great (like so many other defenders do). He has poise and allows the time if necessary for someone to present a suitable outlet.

As much as I am all for moving the ball quickly it still needs to be done effectively with a low risk of a back half turnover followed by a quick repeat entry inside 50 that is almost impossible to defend against. Ibbo and Johnson are ultra reliable, we just need the others to step up to provide better outlet options and our transition should be both effective and fast. Feels a bit weird being part of the lynch mob this time (I reserve the right to change sides for that reason alone).
waytogo Now your talking sense and don't become a turncoat have faith that the old dudes and schoolteachers and Uni students on this Board may know a thing or two or three. Computer nerds dont cut it ha ha :);):p:p.

The exception to your rule (and you can add Mora) was Pearce. IIRC he walked straight in to the side.
Pearce showed during the pre season that he was ready to play and worked his butt off to achieve the required fitness levels. Bennell walked laps at the last training session then did some very gentle short kicking.

Bennell has a leg injury, that's why he's walking laps. But you already knew that.
.....yes I did already know that. I am not disputing that he is best 22. I am saying I don't really expect him to be ready for the start of the season. My reply is more about Pearce and that he earnt his opportunity by having an outstanding pre season and achieved the fitness goals required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't know which thread to put this but came across this article from April last year by Dermott (he is such a closet Freo fan).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/fdd12425f66c6d636f88eb16d3f1cf6e

I have to say Brereton seems a bit of a *** at times but he sure does understand football better than most. Thought this article of his was fantastic and particularly this bit about the role each of our midfielders plays:

"Without Hill the Dockers don’t have the devastating run and carry."
"Without Barlow they don’t have a ball accumulator around the ground."
"Without Mundy they don’t have arguably the best kicking ball-user of a midfielder in the comp."
"Without Fyfe they don’t have a follower powerhouse that takes the overhead marks around the ground that Sandilands simply cannot get to."
"Without Sandilands they don’t have the centre bounce reach and hitouts to advantage."
"And without Neale they will not get their hands on the ball nearly as much at the stoppage."

Exciting in 2016 - we add Bennell to that mix.

Perhaps insert something like "Without Bennell they don't have a freakish talent providing x-factor scoreboard impact"

D.Pearce probably also deserves a mention with his inside 50s and I am predicting he'll be even better in 2016, as will Barlow (and Neale too as scary as that is). It's then a gap to our next tier but the 2nd years are starting to close in and it seems we all expect some big improvement from them this year.

I get how good Hawthorn are but how Freo wasn't rated the #1 midfield on AFL.com recently is beyond me?

.....yes I did already know that. I am not disputing that he is best 22. I am saying I don't really expect him to be ready for the start of the season. My reply is more about Pearce and that he earnt his opportunity by having an outstanding pre season and achieved the fitness goals required.
Hi Gav. Which Pearce are you referring to ? Clancee certainly worked his butt off and Joined in with the 1-4 year group and did every session.

For those questioning Suban and De Boer's role in the team I suggest you listen to Nat Fyfe's Brownlow speech.
I know it is easy to bash these two but they play very important roles in the structure of the team and we all know how much RTB values structure.
You could put Tendai and Clancee or even Langdon and Grey in to do that role but I cant see Ross allowing us to play shoot out football.
We will always play with a couple of defensive mids.

We do need to score more but I feel that will come from Bennell and Fyfe spending time inside 50.

Heres my attempt at best 22

Spurr Dawson Pearce
Sheridan Johnson Ibbo
Hill Mundy Weller
Bennell Mayne Walters
Ballantyne Pavlich Taberner/ Apeness

Sandilands Fyfe Neale

int: Langdon, Barlow, Suban, Griffin

emg: Crozier, D.Pearce, De Boer

For those questioning Suban and De Boer's role in the team I suggest you listen to Nat Fyfe's Brownlow speech.
I know it is easy to bash these two but they play very important roles in the structure of the team and we all know how much RTB values structure.
You could put Tendai and Clancee or even Langdon and Grey in to do that role but I cant see Ross allowing us to play shoot out football.
We will always play with a couple of defensive mids.

We do need to score more but I feel that will come from Bennell and Fyfe spending time inside 50.

Heres my attempt at best 22

Spurr Dawson Pearce
Sheridan Johnson Ibbo
Hill Mundy Weller
Bennell Mayne Walters
Ballantyne Pavlich Taberner/ Apeness

Sandilands Fyfe Neale

int: Langdon, Barlow, Suban, Griffin

emg: Crozier, D.Pearce, De Boer

Watching Apeness yesterday I think there is close to zero chance he will make it back. I have never seen a freo player show such a lack of effort and look so heavy and slow. Mayne on the other hand looked to have regained the pace he had two years ago in his near All Australian year. Mora also played as a key back and then ran off his man in a super impressive manner. In my 22 I don't have A.Pearce but I think he comes into the team for when we rest MJ (As a back) or Pav (as a forward) or when we play a team with a tall forward line.

My best 22 is based on what I think the team will be in the middle of the year. IMO both Mora and Yarran will play games for Peel at the start of the year.
Crozier (for Yarran) and A.Perace (if fit) for Mora are the players I think will start the year in best 22.
My revised best 22 is
B: Spurr Dawson Mora
HB: Ibbo Johnson Sheridan
C: Hill Mundy Bennell
HF: Mayne Tabs Walters
FF: Balla Pav Yarran
R: Sandy Fyfe Neale
IC Barlow, D.Pearce, Sutty, Clarke or Griffin (based on which ruckman is in better form)

Em: Langdon, Suban, A.pearce, Crozier

Last edited:
Watching Apeness yesterday I think there is close to zero chance he will make it back. I have never seen a freo player show such a lack of effort and look so heavy and slow. Mayne on the other hand looked to have regained the pace he had two years ago in his near All Australian year. Mora also played as a key back and then ran off his man in a super impressive manner. In my 22 I don't have A.Pearce but I think he comes into the team for when we rest MJ (As a back) or Pav (as a forward) or when we play a team with a tall forward line.

My best 22 is based on what I think the team will be in the middle of the year. IMO both Mora and Yarran will play games for Peel at the start of the year.
Crozier (for Yarran) and A.Perace (if fit) for Mora are the players I think will start the year in best 22.
My revised best 22 is
IC Barlow, D.Pearce, Sutty, Clarke or Griffin (based on which ruckman is in better form)

Mora is on the rookie list so unless we have injuries he is unable to play. That being said I am sure he will get a look in if playing well at Peel and opportunities arise.

Dissapointing to hear that about Apeness, saw him in a Pre Season game last year or the year before and was very impressed with the way he attacked the contest.

I forgot about Sutcliffe, in hindsight I would swap him with Sheridan in my 22.

Just wondering who your defensive mids are? I would be very surprised if one of Suban, De Boer and Muzugu are not selected every week.
Ross may not play a tagger anymore but he still loves his defensive midfielders as does every coach.

Mora is on the rookie list so unless we have injuries he is unable to play. That being said I am sure he will get a look in if playing well at Peel and opportunities arise.

Dissapointing to hear that about Apeness, saw him in a Pre Season game last year or the year before and was very impressed with the way he attacked the contest.

I forgot about Sutcliffe, in hindsight I would swap him with Sheridan in my 22.

Just wondering who your defensive mids are? I would be very surprised if one of Suban, De Boer and Muzugu are not selected every week.
Ross may not play a tagger anymore but he still loves his defensive midfielders as does every coach.
We have a place left on our list to promote a rookie so Mora can play from Round 1 with no injury to another player if required. Fair point about a defensive mid, but my opinion is that if Bennell can come up to full fitness we can go head to head with any midfield in the league. For what is worth Ive got Suban as my 23rd selected player and I think some of the level of criticism on here (Freo Board) is absurd. One or two of Suban, De Boer or Gu will be in the team most weeks. Best 22 is based on a concept of what happens when everyone is available. That happens very rarely in reality. My view is that if everyone is available I would think we go super offensive. Hence my 22.

We have a place left on our list to promote a rookie so Mora can play from Round 1 with no injury to another player if required. Fair point about a defensive mid, but my opinion is that if Bennell can come up to full fitness we can go head to head with any midfield in the league. For what is worth Ive got Suban as my 23rd selected player and I think some of the level of criticism on here (Freo Board) is absurd. One or two of Suban, De Boer or Gu will be in the team most weeks. Best 22 is based on a concept of what happens when everyone is available. That happens very rarely in reality. My view is that if everyone is available I would think we go super offensive. Hence my 22.

I did not know that. A fit Morabito is definitely in our best 22.

Just trying not to get my hopes up with Mora but going by what posters in the know are saying this could be very hard.

My revised best 22 is

couldhavebeen see above about Apeness

I personally think we can get optimistic about Morabito. He is in full training with the medicos blessing and his attitude at training exudes confidence in the knee.

In terms of entry to the best 22 it will be interesting as he tends to kick long but lacks precision. Perhaps a bit like Dangerfield, and that could be the type of role he is training for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back