Prediction Who will crack the best 22 in 2016.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ballas was the clearance ace in the match sims today. No one could lay a glove on him breaking away from the ball up's. Sadly he has not been able to re produce that in the regular season. Fingers crossed this is the year Ballas's joins the midfield Gods.;):thumbsu:

Hard fast surface with short grass at Freo Oval. Come Winter and the long grass at Subi Ballas will more than likely slip over as he's breaking away from the stoppage.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hard fast surface with short grass at Freo Oval. Come Winter and the long grass at Subi Ballas will more than likely slip over as he's breaking away from the stoppage.
Ironically it was slippery after a brief rain spell when Ballaz was doing his best work in clearances yesterday. Just for the record Hayden has foot issues which prevent him from wearing boots with long studs in them. Not having a go just saying there is a reason why he slips overs, mostly though it seems to be when he has to turn and chase the ball. Starting in the centre and running in straight lines might actually help him slip less.

Last edited:

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ironically it was slippery after a brief rain spell when Ballaz was doing his best work in clearances yesterday.' Long grass' might be a tad of an overstatement don't you think?

Not at all, you played much cricket or footy?

Glad to hear he was keeping his feet after the rain. Perhaps he's making progress is that area. Good stuff, we do need his pace and x factor in the middle.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hi wayToGo_ Go to Dockers website and listen to Lachie Neale's interview from today where he mentions Ballas and Walters coming up into the midfield to chop out for the regular guys to take a breather. Ballas and Walters in the drills today worked through the centre (and I think Sherrif mentioned that in his training report for today). So they will not be full time crummers but will be opportunists IMO when they are playing as forwards.
Thanks Danny. Yeah I watched it last night and thought that sounded like a really smart move. Having their zip in amongst it in the midfield, plus both being pretty decent kicks inside 50 should help our other forwards out. Reckon Ballaz might flourish in that kind of a role. I wonder if they'll rotate Sutcliffe through as well? And an ever changing forward line up would be hard to match up on as well. But likewise other teams will likely be rotating their half back and forwards through the middle as well this season, although pretty confident our defensive structures would be solid against most forward configurations regardless.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ironically it was slippery after a brief rain spell when Ballaz was doing his best work in clearances yesterday. Just for the record Hayden has foot issues which prevent him from wearing boots with long studs in them. Not having a go just saying there is a reason why he slips overs, mostly though it seems to be when he has to turn and chase the ball. Starting in the centre and running in straight lines might actually help him slip less.

I notice when they do the red rover all over drill Ballas doesn't need to use his team mates . He some how manages to get through the congestion using his considerable evasion skills. You gotta love the little man.:)

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Mate for a man with normally good judgment you got this one so wrong :eek: clarkey will be in the staring group every week. :D

Maybe, but I for one have certainly moved from the Clarke bandwagon to the Griff bandwagon. Especially liked Griff's performance in the final against Hawthorn, unfortunately Clarke has been nothing short of useless in all his finals appearances.

manpurple

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe I look at the second ruck position differently to others but in terms of priority I have my preferences as. Tap work, goal kicking, mobility around the ground, marking. In that order.
When I sit down and rank both players 1(poor) to 5(excellent) My scores come out something like this
Clarke - 4, 3, 5, 3
Griff - 4, 4, 4, 4
In short whilst I think that Clarke has more run and carry I just don't like him in the forward line. His marking is average and when he kicks for goal I am nervous. Griff in contrast is a good kick on goal (even when snapping from a pocket, hello Richmond) slotting 1 goal a game with regularity (1 every 2 for clarke), has a good mark particularly when it involves contested marks and body work and is a better tackler (forward retention).
I know that people always say that Clarke is developing and will be a great ruck, we just need to give him more games. I am sure he will become all we hope but this year I'm on the other side of the fence. Show me in the WAFL and we will give you games after that.

DannyTheDoorman

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hajduk Split
Maybe I look at the second ruck position differently to others but in terms of priority I have my preferences as. Tap work, goal kicking, mobility around the ground, marking. In that order.
When I sit down and rank both players 1(poor) to 5(excellent) My scores come out something like this
Clarke - 4, 3, 5, 3
Griff - 4, 4, 4, 4
In short whilst I think that Clarke has more run and carry I just don't like him in the forward line. His marking is average and when he kicks for goal I am nervous. Griff in contrast is a good kick on goal (even when snapping from a pocket, hello Richmond) slotting 1 goal a game with regularity (1 every 2 for clarke), has a good mark particularly when it involves contested marks and body work and is a better tackler (forward retention).
I know that people always say that Clarke is developing and will be a great ruck, we just need to give him more games. I am sure he will become all we hope but this year I'm on the other side of the fence. Show me in the WAFL and we will give you games after that.
Just wanted to let you know that Clarke trained with the main group today and was fantastic. He took marks and ran well for his first session with the main group. Grif is now in the Rehab group wich may be bad timing in the race for the second spot supporting Sandi.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Clarke - 4, 3, 5, 3
Griff - 4, 4, 4, 4

Clarke showed what he's got and Griff hasn't at todays session. Clarke has pace,agility ,leap and marking power. If he could put it all together consistently along with Sandi we would have the complete ruck combo. With the reduced interchange Clarkes running power will be invaluable. I know Clarke can polarise the supporters but a full on Zac could be the difference in a premiership.

Last edited:

DannyTheDoorman

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Clarke showed what he's got and Griff hasn't at todays session. Clarke has pace,agility ,leap and marking power. If he could put it all together consistantly along with Sandi we would have the complete ruck combo. With the reduced interchange Clarkes running power will be invaluable. I know Clarke can polarise the supporters but a full on Zac could be the difference in a premiership.
Yes we all saw that at training today and Clarke's mobility was very evident especially when you consider it was his first session in the main group since his Pre-Season started.

See i do agree with you ;):D:thumbsu:

DannyTheDoorman

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
As Danny and Salim said, Clarke's marking today was wonderful, however he is clearly still a way off with his running and fitness.

For me if both are fit Griff is still ahead, Clarke is going to have to fight for his spot back after how well Griff finished last year.
Nice to have met you today. The work Grif did last year will help in selection but i really do think that Guerra and Hale will have a say in selection so it will depend on what they say. In Griff's favor is that he is more mobile this year than last. Clarke is the better athlete so a lot more importance will be placed on rucks this year with less rotations so that may swing selection Clarke's way wich is an aspect you haven't covered.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
The other thing is that Sandilands, as durable as he has been since turf toe, may well be managed. I think we will get to see the Griffin/Clarke show a few times.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
The other thing is that Sandilands, as durable as he has been since turf toe, may well be managed. I think we will get to see the Griffin/Clarke show a few times.

manpurple

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just wanted to let you know that Clarke trained with the main group today and was fantastic. He took marks and ran well for his first session with the main group. Grif is now in the Rehab group wich may be bad timing in the race for the second spot supporting Sandi.
Clarke showed what he's got and Griff hasn't at todays session. Clarke has pace,agility ,leap and marking power. If he could put it all together consistently along with Sandi we would have the complete ruck combo. With the reduced interchange Clarkes running power will be invaluable. I know Clarke can polarise the supporters but a full on Zac could be the difference in a premiership.
Thank you both for your comments on the state of training and if Griff is not fit then Clarke will play without question.

But I guess this point really reinforces my dilema. For years people have been saying that Clarke's superior fitness means that he is the best pick.
Watching the AFL and WAFL last year Clarke never seemed to fit in the forward line. This year more than any you have to be able to rotate forward as a ruck (no bench time) . On paper Clarke's accuracy in front of the big sticks is not bad but that is only because it is almost impossible to track down the number of shanks that miss everything. Last year he was bodied out of contests, could kick through the middle at 60m but regularly missed everything 30m out on a 45 degree angle. I am sure that he spent so much time in the forward line in the WAFL so that he would perform better as a forward at AFL level but he never did. He, as the second ruck last year was about 1 possession (average) better than Griff but only registered a score of any kind in 50% of his matches and he played more in the forward line than in the ruck. It is really frustrating.
I have to say that I have reached the point where his stamina/mobility gets a big "who cares" from me. Yes he will reach the forward line when needed, only to not mark and not convert. Give me Griff who might only get there 80% as often but I am confident that he will mark and score.

Oct 1, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thank you both for your comments on the state of training and if Griff is not fit then Clarke will play without question.

But I guess this point really reinforces my dilema. For years people have been saying that Clarke's superior fitness means that he is the best pick.
Watching the AFL and WAFL last year Clarke never seemed to fit in the forward line. This year more than any you have to be able to rotate forward as a ruck (no bench time) . On paper Clarke's accuracy in front of the big sticks is not bad but that is only because it is almost impossible to track down the number of shanks that miss everything. Last year he was bodied out of contests, could kick through the middle at 60m but regularly missed everything 30m out on a 45 degree angle. I am sure that he spent so much time in the forward line in the WAFL so that he would perform better as a forward at AFL level but he never did. He, as the second ruck last year was about 1 possession (average) better than Griff but only registered a score of any kind in 50% of his matches and he played more in the forward line than in the ruck. It is really frustrating.
I have to say that I have reached the point where his stamina/mobility gets a big "who cares" from me. Yes he will reach the forward line when needed, only to not mark and not convert. Give me Griff who might only get there 80% as often but I am confident that he will mark and score.

This is Clarke's weakness. Until he can mark the ball without a free passage to leap at the ball, he's useless as a fwd. Griffen proved last year he was capable with his strength to take that pack mark 15-30 metres and convert.

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
This is Clarke's weakness. Until he can mark the ball without a free passage to leap at the ball, he's useless as a fwd. Griffen proved last year he was capable with his strength to take that pack mark 15-30 metres and convert.
Agree. I'm always happy for our players to prove us wrong (if it works in our favour) but with Clarke it's always if...if...if...if. Wondering if we'll ever see Zac show close to potential and consistently over a season. Hope we do.

rodney hoo

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agree. I'm always happy for our players to prove us wrong (if it works in our favour) but with Clarke it's always if...if...if...if. Wondering if we'll ever see Zac show close to potential and consistently over a season. Hope we do.

People have short memories,2013 Freo best ever year with Sandi down Griiff out most of the season Clarke carried the ruck excellent. Last year before injury he was also fantastic. IMO he's shown good loyalty to Freo knowing that he would be behind one of the best rucks to ever play the game and not chase other offers.

Back