Who will defend this government?

Remove this Banner Ad

In Gough's defence I too didn't realise it was only for those who never worked. In that case it is fair as they should stay in the education system until they can find employment.
I could be wrong, but I think you get one month off the suspension for every 12 months worked. So if you have worked for a couple of years, you still have to wait 4 months before you can start to receive the benefit.

how hard is it to pay the dole from day one subject to liquid assets and asset test. work commitments should start from months 2; with cv, job interview techniques and cover letter training in the first month of "work commitments or earlier if requested by the applicant.

the whole point if having the dole is a base payment is made. I think they have forgotten that minor point!

The two really bad ones are the guy we were talking about and also the older woman with the almost shoulder length black hair. The head of news.com.au isn't great either but he is a lot more reasonable than the other two.
Nikki Savva is that lady. She started off very one-eyed, but she has been less stubbornly polemic since Abbott was assured of victory. And I'd defend her and the other "right-wing nutjobs" position on these shows. Yes, some of them are shocking to the point of near-uselessness, like Piers and Gerard Henderson, but every now and again they will still say something which is semi-legit. Gerard praising Gillard for getting her legislation through for example. He did it only because he has a stupid theory he is pushing that Abbott has more opposition than anyone's ever had. Stupid theory. But in order to prosecute it, he has to say Gillard had it easy. Therefore he swallows his pride and admits she passed a lot of legislation which was good. There are a bunch of people on Big Footy who still try and say that was somehow a bad thing. There are people still trying to suggest it was the worst government ever. Crazy stuff. But Henderson admits Gillard did a great job negotiating legislation and it might make a few of the less crazy Coalition supporters realise for the first time that all the talk of a dysfunctional government was actually self-fulfilling, rather than something that was true from the get-go.
They used to have Andrew Bolt on. But other journalists and commentators used to be flooded with abusive hate mail and even threats by his supporters, when they questioned anything he said.

Right wing freaks can't handle any dissent or challenge to their twisted, ****** up world view
Bolt left to work for Channel 10. Insiders didn't want him to go.

In all fairness I do wonder what the coalition policy would be if we didn't have 200 billion in debt to service on the order of our entire defence budget each year in interest.
I honestly think it would be the same. Bar the tax on the rich. They had to attack all of Labor's proposals as part of their strategy of saying they were 'worst eva'. The FBT changes saved billions, but the Liberals won't support it because it didn't fit their pro-business brand (even though those businesses are built on a tax rort). The problem is that the Liberals in charge now were the ones on the outskirts during Howard's time. They didn't seem to take lessons from his conservative approach to policy, but instead took lessons from his use of dog-whistling to win an argument. These are mostly student politicians in charge, and the decisions they are making are based on ideology and politics, not paying back debt. You could list 5 things right now which would be a good way to pay down the debt without affecting the economy too badly, and this govt isn't doing it. They won power due to 'messaging' - repeating simplistic slogans. That just isn't transferable into good policy development.

Well you see...wait no.

That shitstorm can stay where it is.

Suffice to say I don't support any PPL (Abbott's included). Its removal will save money. Yes I have seen some claim otherwise, I dispute that.

Thats all I will say about that. People can feel free to go dig up that debate if they would like.
I don't have any problem with you opposing the PPL. I just take issue with the sweeeping claim that this is going to save money - 22 billion as Labor keeps saying - without being willing to state exactly how much, if any, money at all will be saved.

I honestly think it would be the same. Bar the tax on the rich. They had to attack all of Labor's proposals as part of their strategy of saying they were 'worst eva'. The FBT changes saved billions, but the Liberals won't support it because it didn't fit their pro-business brand (even though those businesses are built on a tax rort). The problem is that the Liberals in charge now were the ones on the outskirts during Howard's time. They didn't seem to take lessons from his conservative approach to policy, but instead took lessons from his use of dog-whistling to win an argument. These are mostly student politicians in charge, and the decisions they are making are based on ideology and politics, not paying back debt. You could list 5 things right now which would be a good way to pay down the debt without affecting the economy too badly, and this govt isn't doing it. They won power due to 'messaging' - repeating simplistic slogans. That just isn't transferable into good policy development.

"But you try & tell the young people today that, and they wont believe ya" (Monty Python, rich Yorkshiremen sketch.)

I don't have any problem with you opposing the PPL. I just take issue with the sweeeping claim that this is going to save money - 22 billion as Labor keeps saying - without being willing to state exactly how much, if any, money at all will be saved.

No it won't save that much. I can't recall of the top of my head but I think I put it at about 4-5 billion. 5-6 if you scrapped Labour's PPL as well.

I'd invite you to defend his policies, why is no dole for under thirties a good thing for example? This is not about the previous government.

Finally some common sense re illegal immigrants. Sane policies re mining and carbon tax. Charging to see the doctor is necessary particularly given the ageing population. Sacking so few public servants is disappointing but better than nothing.

That's about it. All governments are useless. Just a matter of degree. Its delusional to expect good governance. Second rate pollies and the dregs of white collar Australia in charge of implementation. Recipe for muppetry if ever there was one.

Abbott government has been awful so far. But they've got a long way to go yet if they want to be as bad as Gillard. A long, long, long, long, long way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Abbott government has been awful so far. But they've got a long way to go yet if they want to be as bad as Gillard. A long, long, long, long, long way.

I would like you to explain why she was as bad as you suggest.
I mean you can look at policies, then you can see what the Government passed through the senate, then look at the policy effect. I just dont follow your totally rabid view of her.
All politicians end up carrying some baggage. But they have different political & economic circumstances in which to operate.

Finally some common sense re illegal immigrants.
You mean asylum seekers, most who turn out to be genuine and totally legal.

Sane policies re mining and carbon tax.
Yep, the accepted science about climate change is crap. Immunisations don't work. Cigarettes are a health product. Asbestos doesn't cause cancer. The world was created in 6 days about 7k years ago.
That sort of sane?

Charging to see the doctor is necessary particularly given the ageing population.
A price single really needs to be sent to poor people suffering chronic conditions. They don't need doctors. In any case, doctors believe in all that science rubbish like immunisations, and that smoking is bad for you etc. Like you said, only the insane believe in the scientific consensus.

Its delusional to expect good governance. Second rate pollies and the dregs of white collar Australia in charge of implementation. Recipe for muppetry if ever there was one.
Lawyers and economists. What do you expect?

I mean you can look at policies, then you can see what the Government passed through the senate, then look at the policy effect. I just dont follow your totally rabid view of her.
All politicians end up carrying some baggage. But they have different political & economic circumstances in which to operate.

This thread is about defending the Abbot government. If you want to defend the atrocious Gillard government, start a new thread.

I mean you can look at policies, then you can see what the Government passed through the senate, then look at the policy effect.

You've got your answer there. Six years of rubbish like the mining tax.

This thread is about defending the Abbot government. If you want to defend the atrocious Gillard government, start a new thread.
You used Gillard to defend Abbott...
The rebuttal was that it wasn't a good defense...

Don't sulk.

You used Gillard to defend Abbott...
The rebuttal was that it wasn't a good defense...

Don't sulk.

I'm not sulking mate. It's universally accepted that Gillard government has been the worst since Whitlam. Sorry if that makes Labor barrackers mad.

I'm not sulking mate. It's universally accepted that Gillard government has been the worst since Whitlam. Sorry if that makes Labor barrackers mad.
So you can speak on behalf of the universe? Give it a spell and try sticking to the thread topic.

By whom and why?

Well, it was clearly a lot worse than Hawke/Keating and Howard.

That leaves the Fraser govt vs Rudd/Gillard/Rudd. Sacking 2 PMs alone takes the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd govt to last place, not even taking into account rubbish like the mining tax.

Having said all that, Abbott's lot is fast tracking towards second or last place (worst govt) since Whitlam.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back