Bring-Back-Powell

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2005
Seattle
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners
As the thread title suggests, who do you think will finish highest on the ladder out of the three clubs.

St Kilda - Rebuilding from rock bottom and have chosen to go down the draft route at the expense of gun veterans like Dal Santo and Goddard. Had a very poor 2014 but it was expected and understood. Are touted to be certain bottom 3.

Melbourne - had an improved season 2014, to the point where they could be almost considered afl standard, they were ranked 12 for defence. Problem was the Bonny Doon seconds could out score them in the offence department. Had a disgraceful end to the season, but there's plenty of hope with their stockpile of draft picks combined with their imports. laBamba and Garlett should make a huge difference to the offence. Are touted to again finish bottom 3 but probably have a higher ceiling than St Kilda.

Bulldogs - overall had a disappointing 2014 due to the expectation attached to their promising end to 2013. Just couldn't get the job done overall last year, but had some excellent wins over Collingwood, Gold Coast and GWS. Are touted to either go backwards, or at the most hold 14th this year due to the loss of Griffin and Cooney amongst others.

I'm going to make a series of threads, with groups of 3 whom I think are very even. For example the next poll could be GWS, Carlton and Brisbane Lions.

I reckon Melbourne will

Unless they really stink it up yet again when they are tipped to or "should" improve, I definitely see Melbourne as the most likely of these 3 teams to improve this year and to finish highest. Their offseason list changes look to have the potential to significantly improve them in the short term much more than either of the other 2 teams offseason list changes have and as such they would be hoping to perform much more like they did in the first half of last year throughout this year than they did in the 2nd half of 2014, especially with another Roos preseason under their belts.

Melbourne outs: Frawley
Melbourne ins: Hogan (effectively), La Moomba, Garlett, Frost, Newton, Petracca, Brayshaw, Stretch- all of whom could make an immediate impact, particularly the first 7.

WB outs: Griffen, Cooney, Higgins, Gia, Jones, Tutt, Crameri (?)
WB ins: Boyd, Biggs, Daniel, McLean, Webb

St Kilda outs: Hayes, Gwilt, Stanley, Jones
St Kilda ins: Saad, Membrey, McCartin, Goddard, McKenzie.

(We also have the following list who are all potentially best 22, or a strong chance to be, who all played just 7 or less games last season, due largely if not solely to injury, and as such could to a degree be considered "new recruits" this season (if they are over their injury issues): Fisher, Gilbert, Hickey, Geary, Roberton, Lee, Wright, Templeton and Acres. It wouldn't be any surprise at all if any of those 9 were in our team in round one and none of them played more than 7 games last year. Jimmy Webster another one who most on our board expect to be best 22 who only played 11 games last year due to injury.)

Last edited:
It's hard to see Bulldogs improving after losing their experienced players, particularly Cooney & Griffen. Plus the new coach might need a bit of time to adjust. That's not to say that they don't have a bright future ahead of them, a lot of young players with a lot of potential but at this stage they'll be competing with St.Kilda for bottom spot.

Melbourne will be one of the most improved teams in 2015.

Last edited:
Demons I think.
I think Frost will prove to be a great Frawley replacement. The fact they got Brayshaw & Petracca for losing him says that the dees are far far better off with Frawley leaving. Lumumba & Hogan will improve them as well.

Doggies have lost Griffen & Cooney as well as Higgins, Jones etc. Boyd will take time to come on.
I see them as being weaker in 2015.

Saints will still need to pump games into their kids. Gradual improvement from them I would expect.

Last edited:
Bulldogs will finish higher
They now have the 2nd least experienced list in the AFL, one of only two teams to average less than 50 games experience each, with just 46.7. Only GWS (who have 6 more on their senior list, thus reducing their experience average from exactly 50- if you only include the 40 who have played the most games for them) are lower, at 43.8, so I'd suggest for them to finish highest of this 3 pretty much everything would have to go right for them this year, including injuries, adapting to the new (and by the sounds of it quite different) game-plan pretty much immediately, as well as the likes of Macrae being able to handle hard tags immediately.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A flip of the coin between the Bulldogs and the Dees

They now have the 2nd least experienced list in the AFL, one of only two teams to average less than 50 games experience each, with just 46.7. Only GWS (who have 6 more on their senior list, thus reducing their experience average from exactly 50- if you only include the 40 who have played the most games for them) are lower, at 43.8, so I'd suggest for them to finish highest of this 3 pretty much everything would have to go right for them this year, including injuries, adapting to the new (and by the sounds of it quite different) game-plan pretty much immediately, as well as the likes of Macrae being able to handle hard tags immediately.

True, I think the exodus of senior players will become a factor but do see maturity amongst their young players. Think Bulldogs mids and forwards are ahead of those of Demons but only just, Demons do have more senior players which might be able to allow Demons to finish higher

I think there's a couple of questions about all three yet to be answered.

1) Coaching. Melbourne have added both Simon Goodwin and Brendan McCartney. If the latter gets some time into the likes of Brayshaw, Petracca and Toumpas...look out.
Also at the Dogs the question of Beveridge. In the furore over the Griffen/Boyd/McCartney/Garlick situation it feels like the AFL community has forgotten about the new coach at Whitten Oval. What if it all goes pear shaped?

2) Settling. The Dogs, St Kilda and the Dees both have key elements that will take time. At Melbourne it's up forward with Hogan and Garlett inserted. At the Dogs you have Boyd into the forward line with a new captain and a top mid gone. At St Kilda it's adjusting to the loss of Lenny in the guts. Adapting quickly is crucial.

For me...I think Melbourne-St Kilda-Bulldogs.

I like how people talk up Melbournes 2014 and talk about how terrible St.Kildas was, yet they only finished above us by what? 6%?

I think its the age range, after this coming season Roo and Montagna ud think will retire so not great deal of experience, where Demons least have handful of players who played 100-150 games on the field

I think its the age range, after this coming season Roo and Montagna ud think will retire so not great deal of experience, where Demons least have handful of players who played 100-150 games on the field
I definately see Riewoldt retiring this year after he just signed a 2 year deal.

Something would also have to go horribly wrong for Montagna to retire at the end of this year. He is only 31 this year, was in arguably career best form prior to sustaining a couple of injuries last season (which he played on through, lowering his output for the last 2/3 of the season) and has generally been incredibly durable throughout his career. About 18 months ago he said that he hoped to play for 4-5 more years and given that he could easily enough play out his career in the back or forward pockets, I don't see that as unlikely at all. It wouldn't surprise me greatly if he was still playing in 2018.

With Riewoldt, given how ridiculously fit he is, it's apparently pretty much all about his knee. If that isn't giving him too much grief it sounds like he's hoping to play for at least two more seasons and his stated aim is to still be around by the time we play finals next.

Something would also have to go horribly wrong for Montagna to retire at the end of this year. He is only 31 this year, was in arguably career best form prior to sustaining a couple of injuries last season (which he played on through, lowering his output for the last 2/3 of the season) and has generally been incredibly durable throughout his career. About 18 months ago he said that he hoped to play for 4-5 more years and given that he could easily enough play out his career in the back or forward pockets, I don't see that as unlikely at all. It wouldn't surprise me greatly if he was still playing in 2018.

With Riewoldt, given how ridiculously fit he is, it's apparently pretty much all about his knee. If that isn't giving him too much grief it sounds like he's hoping to play for at least two more seasons and his stated aim is to still be around by the time we play finals next.

I love Roo and agree, think Montagna has been an excellent player over the years, would love to see both stay as on field mentors over next few years as think will have a lot of positive influence on the playing group

Back