Preview Who will have a breakout year in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

McMillan, will take Levi's spot in the midfield. Will show everyone why he is so highly rated internally..
I like that idea! He's clearly got the endurance, running in the group with Gibbo, Basti and Wood. Whether or not the club want's to take him out of the back line permanently is another thing...

I actually dont know who will step up in Levi's spot, Levi had a massive year.
It will have to be Bastinac in Levi's spot IMO. Dumont will get games, but obviously he won't be expected to dominate games in any way in 2015. Bastinac on the other hand, has been played out of position as many here think, and is more suited to an inside game, despite his skinny frame. He will have to step it up in a big way, and I hope he is preparing himself for a breakout consistent season.

Hopefully we'll see plenty of Wood this year too. Not sure where he will fit in, if everyone in the forward line is up and going, but he just has too much quality to keep under wraps any longer. And as we saw from his 2km run, he is also pretty fit.

Still think McMillan is the best option to play Levi's role. Is defensively minded, strong and big enough to have an impact on clearances.

Basti won't get near Levi's output because his tackling and pressure is sub standard
Can JMac run all day in the midfield?

Still think McMillan is the best option to play Levi's role. Is defensively minded, strong and big enough to have an impact on clearances.

Basti won't get near Levi's output because his tackling and pressure is sub standard
But Bastinac does have a knack for getting forward at the right time and kicking goals like greenwood. Although like you said he is not as good defensively as greenwood and mcmillan but i think if given the opportunity he will provide something different to greenwood's gut running/ pressure game in that he is more of a clearance/ goal kicking mid. I like the idea of mcmillan in the midfield though but im not sure he's suited to an inside role.

Interesting that Greenwood is regarded better defensively then Basti. I reckon out of the two of them Basti has been much better then greenwood at shutting down an opponent

I think Black could, but he might not even play round 1 so its a tough call, I think Mullett and/or Atley could have a breakout year aswell.

Interesting that Greenwood is regarded better defensively then Basti. I reckon out of the two of them Basti has been much better then greenwood at shutting down an opponent

Not this year he wasn't.

Basti struggles to lay a tackle that actually sticks. He has done the odd good job as a tagging (job on Kerr in 2012) but has never been able to do it consistently.

He also got exposed a number of times this year for his lack of accountability going head to head with an opposition player. I can't remember exactly what game but I remember a number of times Basti trailing his direct opponent with little or no pressure while they had an acre of space to play with!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Jmac is ready to mature and its dawned on him that he needs to push harder than he has before.
Up to his injury this year he was playing very good footy.

Very happy to see him blitzing in the running -so he must be eyeing midfield spot.

Makes good decisions and is a great kick for goal.

It will have to be Bastinac in Levi's spot IMO. Dumont will get games, but obviously he won't be expected to dominate games in any way in 2015. Bastinac on the other hand, has been played out of position as many here think, and is more suited to an inside game, despite his skinny frame. He will have to step it up in a big way, and I hope he is preparing himself for a breakout consistent season.

Hopefully we'll see plenty of Wood this year too. Not sure where he will fit in, if everyone in the forward line is up and going, but he just has too much quality to keep under wraps any longer. And as we saw from his 2km run, he is also pretty fit.
The one player I think deserves it more than Jacobs. Like Cunnington he seems to have more time to dispose of the ball when playing inside. I thought he did a very good job when needed a couple of seasons ago against West Coast in Subi. I think JMac is good but Bastinac is more suited to the role and in my opinion does it better.

Think we might finally get the Atley midfield move. I've been big on keeping him in defence but it's time now to see if he can be a match winning midfielder.

Bastinac. After Greenwood pushed him out of the team. Basti to fight his way back into the team.

Think Jmac is ready to mature and its dawned on him that he needs to push harder than he has before.
Up to his injury this year he was playing very good footy.

Very happy to see him blitzing in the running -so he must be eyeing midfield spot.

Makes good decisions and is a great kick for goal.
Agree, I'm surprised no-one (other than you and RF08) has mentioned JMac in this thread. He looked set to break out this year before he broke his leg and he'd be my pick for a break out year next year along with Ziebell

JMac to fill Greenwoods role.

Just um, no (and I like Jmac, especially early 2014)

Seriously wrong call (again) as the two are not only completely different, but JMac will never be an inside mid for obvious reasons.

JMac to fill Greenwoods role.

Just um, no (and I like Jmac, especially early 2014)

Seriously wrong call (again) as the two are not only completely different, but JMac will never be an inside mid for obvious reasons.

Why? What are the obvious reasons?

I think RF has made an interesting call, it would definitely give us a point of difference. Levi wasn't exactly the best tagger going around either. I cringe at the amount of times he had his pants pulled down. Macmillan could easily match him in that regard. Before this year Levi wasn't much chop as a ball winner either 10-15 disposal games were the norm. At least when Jmac gets the ball he will use it much better. Levi's biggest strengths are his bravery, endurance and he added ball winning this year. Jmac is just as brave (I still shutter thinking of him getting his head smashed by Douglas) he has the indurance too. The only question is if he'd be any good as a ball winner.

Might not happen but defenitley worth a thought

Sam Wright - awesome 2nd half and finals campaign.

Mason Wood - averaged more goals per game than any player on the list in 2014 - just looks like he belongs.

We have some massive selection dilemma's this year. There is almost 0% chance that Harper can push into the seniors, Turner, Thomas and Boomer own the small spots with JZ and B10 resting too. Garner won't get a game for the same reason.

Why? What are the obvious reasons?

I think RF has made an interesting call, it would definitely give us a point of difference. Levi wasn't exactly the best tagger going around either. I cringe at the amount of times he had his pants pulled down. Macmillan could easily match him in that regard. Before this year Levi wasn't much chop as a ball winner either 10-15 disposal games were the norm. At least when Jmac gets the ball he will use it much better. Levi's biggest strengths are his bravery, endurance and he added ball winning this year. Jmac is just as brave (I still shutter thinking of him getting his head smashed by Douglas) he has the indurance too. The only question is if he'd be any good as a ball winner.

Might not happen but defenitley worth a thought

I don't think so.

He is not a natural in and under player plus he has talents that are better used elsewhere than fighting Swallow and Cunners for the ball.

I doubt the club has any intention whatsoever to use JMac as an inside mid, but i'm happy to be proved wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back