Who will the Witts/Grundy combo go past this year 2015 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Witts will always be a better forward than Grundy, which is not to say that Grundy won't be a good forward. I think Grundy looks better when he's running inside 50 as the ball comes in, as opposed to Witts who looks better coming to meet the ball from deep inside 50. For this reason I predict we'll see Grundy used as the ruck a little more and Witts used forward a little more, and I'd love to see the pair of them playing on the ball at times with Grundy playing as a ruck rover.

I think they are different enough, versatile enough and potentially dominant enough to have both

They where doing that at start of the Season

I would be throwing a 4-5 year deal at both Witts and Grundy lock them up for a long while and back them in.

*Witts may have recently signed a 3 year deal??
Not sure. So much can happen in that time. We need them then but can they keep fit. Develop well. Live up to the hype. Not want high $. Go home. Stay out of trouble. The list goes on:

I would be throwing a 4-5 year deal at both Witts and Grundy lock them up for a long while and back them in.

Grundy signed a 3 year deal during the year I believe, I remember a segment on the club about him. As for Witts, Im not sure about his contract situation, hes quite happy in Melbourne but. Wouldn't think he would have too much opposition interest either, not would he have the value himself to consider signing a 5 year deal, would be costing himself too much money if he "makes" it

As for the original question, they'll start making ways in soon. I think im more convinced about Witts at the moment to be honest, he really started to come on towards the end of the season and that last game against Hawthorn he really stood out like a guy his size should.

As for Grundy, I must admit, I havn't seen anything that everyone else seems too. Yes hes insanely physical, and gives a presence, which all ruckman should, but apart from that im not so sure. But I still have alot of faith in the kid, the amount of "experts" that have rated him as an elite player in a few years time, past players and even opposition posters can't be wrong. Can they?

2 genuine rucks work fine, as long as they are both compentent forwards, which both Witts and Grundy have the capacity to be.

Playing them both with 50% ruck/forward time will likely play havoc with other teams defensive set ups if they can both improve their forward play to the point where they are both genuinely dangerous forward targets, and that seems like what the coaching staff are trying to turn them in to.

So both can become key forwards as long as our development staff can teach them to become key forwards... Makes sense...

I am not convinced either of them can be good enough as a key forward to justify both being in the same side. I think Witts is the better forward of the two, so he is probably the best chance.

Correct.

Witts signed for 3 years in April 2013. Grundy also signed for 3 years back in March.

Not sure who the big two will go past this year, but I will be happy with a continuing upward trend in their performances. Having a ruck coach would help too. Come on Pies, hurry up and appoint someone.

So both can become key forwards as long as our development staff can teach them to become key forwards... Makes sense...

I am not convinced either of them can be good enough as a key forward to justify both being in the same side. I think Witts is the better forward of the two, so he is probably the best chance.
I'd be happy enough if they became as good as Jolly was resting up forward.
He seemed to have a knack of kicking a goal or two most games.
If you have two rucks that can produce 2-4 goals between them each game, you're doing pretty well imo.

Not sure who the big two will go past this year, but I will be happy with a continuing upward trend in their performances. Having a ruck coach would help too. Come on Pies, hurry up and appoint someone.
According to a poster on Nicks, this season the rucks will be coached by Rocca and, wait for it..... Rendell!

I believe Rendell was a handy ruck man back in the day, so it's not as left field as some may think.

According to a poster on Nicks, this season the rucks will be coached by Rocca and, wait for it..... Rendell!

I believe Rendell was a handy ruck man back in the day, so it's not as left field as some may think.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but the fact this is even a rumour shows how few people in the game can really claim to have expert knowledge of ruck work these days.

Rocca was also a good craftsman in the ruck. He just rarely played there because he was too important for us in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Grundy and Witts combo could be fantastic if we actually play both of them and not persist with Jessie Potato White.

I'd play them 50% forward and 50% ruck initially to see what works best. I can see Witts spending more time forward however. Witts could be an incredibly damaging forward, the problem is we don't kick to his strengths. Making him lead to the ball is a waste of time as anyone will shoot past him and spoil. They need anchor him to the goal line and kick it on top of his head.

This would also tie in well with Cloke and Moore's strengths which is their hard running and leading. Having Witts deep would allow Cloke to push up the field more. I believe Moore is also a good runner, so this would work quite well.

My opinion is Witts is possibly the better option forward based on what performances I have seen so far, if he continues to develop his tank and strength he could quite easily develop into a player that plays CHF who rucks. What I like about Witts at CHF that sets him apart form Grundy and others is his use of the footy by foot, he can hit inside fifty targets. He also has clean hands and is and excellent tackler, he see him really hurting players with his tackling in the future.

Grundy at this stage of his career reminds me of GWS's Mumford without the tank. Grundy as we well know can impact a game just has to do it for longer in a game and a season.

I can see them playing together this season and in the future, Witts more as a permanent forward who rucks and Grundy as the permanent ruck-man who pinch hits in the forward line. Witts to play forward more late in quarters and towards the end of games when the defense tires. By no means am I trying to pigeon hole either of them it is just my opinion on what I have seen so far.

We need to recruit talented small forwards who are willing to rove at the feet of our tall forward line in the future. Broomhead did it so well late in the season but eventually he will move through the center. Fasolo has the gift but has been inconsistent so far and also might move through the center with time. Blair IMO has gone backwards and is not roving enough or hitting the score board, score board pressure is vital. There are many options available through out the 2012 draft and rookie draft.

The Grundy and Witts combo could be fantastic if we actually play both of them and not persist with Jessie Potato White.

I'd play them 50% forward and 50% ruck initially to see what works best. I can see Witts spending more time forward however. Witts could be an incredibly damaging forward, the problem is we don't kick to his strengths. Making him lead to the ball is a waste of time as anyone will shoot past him and spoil. They need anchor him to the goal line and kick it on top of his head.

This would also tie in well with Cloke and Moore's strengths which is their hard running and leading. Having Witts deep would allow Cloke to push up the field more. I believe Moore is also a good runner, so this would work quite well.

Will be a balancing act in 2015. White will still be important this year I think. Witts-Grundy combo will really start to deliver in 2016 with as you mention Moore the wildcard. And maybe Wright!

And lets not forget Bucks hasnt yet given up on the experiment with Reid forward. It is not yet a failure because he hasnt been on the park. Was awesome late in 2012 when he played 8-10 games in the forward line. However the experiment may get stopped in its tracks now and he might be sent to the backline. Which would be a shame in some respects but on the other side of the coin hes an AA defender and welcome back there any time!

If Reid complements Cloke up forward this year then White would be the ideal foil and 2nd ruck.

This is part of the reason I don't want us to grab Wright. I reckon it might be hard to justify Witts and Grundy in the same side as it is without adding another layer. Even if White doesn't clunk marks he has the toe to chase down opposition forwards as opposed to when it hits the deck around Grundy, then it's out of there.

Will be a balancing act in 2015. White will still be important this year I think. Witts-Grundy combo will really start to deliver in 2016 with as you mention Moore the wildcard. And maybe Wright!

And lets not forget Bucks hasnt yet given up on the experiment with Reid forward. It is not yet a failure because he hasnt been on the park. Was awesome late in 2012 when he played 8-10 games in the forward line. However the experiment may get stopped in its tracks now and he might be sent to the backline. Which would be a shame in some respects but on the other side of the coin hes an AA defender and welcome back there any time!
When I mentioned Moore and Cloke, I also meant that might be Reid and Cloke. I agree he still has a lot to offer as a forward. I am not sure I see Moore, Cloke, Reid and one of Witts, Grundy, or White in all in the forward line, so something would have to give there. As you say, Reid is an AA backman, so worst case we move him back. It all depends on Moore's development this year (and potentially Wright's).

White I have given up on, we got sucked into getting him because we were desperately low on KPFs. He might play the odd good game and fill a role here and there, but he is never going to be a match winner. I would much rather play any combo of Witts, Grundy, Cloke, Reid, and Moore before giving him more game time. Depth only for me now.

If Reid complements Cloke up forward this year then White would be the ideal foil and 2nd ruck.

This is part of the reason I don't want us to grab Wright. I reckon it might be hard to justify Witts and Grundy in the same side as it is without adding another layer. Even if White doesn't clunk marks he has the toe to chase down opposition forwards as opposed to when it hits the deck around Grundy, then it's out of there.

I dont pretend to be an expert on the youngsters so will sit on the fence but agree that for balance a midfielder with pick 5 is the safer option. Wright would want to be very very good to justify his selection. And if he is very very good I'd be more than happy to trade away Keeffe Brown White etc in subsequent seasons and develop Moore in defence. In Hine we trust!

I dont pretend to be an expert on the youngsters so will sit on the fence but agree that for balance a midfielder with pick 5 is the safer option. Wright would want to be very very good to justify his selection. And if he is very very good I'd be more than happy to trade away Keeffe Brown White etc in subsequent seasons and develop Moore in defence. In Hine we trust!

I like Lever as a tall because he looks to me like a Jeremy Cameron clone but after that would be looking at an x-factor mid.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but the fact this is even a rumour shows how few people in the game can really claim to have expert knowledge of ruck work these days.
Not a rumour. This was direct info from players and coaching staff at the westpac centre during training.

Last edited:

He was more than a handy ruckman.

There is not a lot of great ruck combos at the minute now that Cox has retired so NicNat is alone.

Think Lycett will come on pretty quickly, biggest question is can Nic Nat pick up the slack of departing big Cox. They've also got Sinclair developing so WCE won't have the worst rucks by a long stretch.

Lobbe and Ryder are easily the best atm.

McEvoy and Hale aren't bad.

Pyke, Tippett and Derickx are handy.

Hickey and Longer will develop along with Witts and Grundy. Same for Smith and Nicholls at GCS.

Mumford is all class but GWS will be sweating on one of their kids to come on or it could be a vulnerability, particularly ater losing Boyd and Giles. Lobbe maybe.

Cats probably have the best ruck depth but don't have a stand out among McIntosh, Simpson, Blicavs, Vardy and now Clark. Vardy might be the best if he can get on the park.

Sandilands will still be among the elite and they have some depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back