Who will win the premiership in 2015

Bayer_

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Shiny Penny
Dec 23, 2008
Inner East
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't think many clubs have had a good following season after being smashed in a Grand Final.

Port were crippled after 2007, as were Collingwood after 2003, Melbourne after 2000. Geelong in '94, and '95 are the only times I can think of a team getting smashed and doing okay the next year.

Carlton 87, Hawthorn 86, Essendon 84 went OK.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think many clubs have had a good following season after being smashed in a Grand Final.

Port were crippled after 2007, as were Collingwood after 2003, Melbourne after 2000. Geelong in '94, and '95 are the only times I can think of a team getting smashed and doing okay the next year.

I think we are to good to just fall away into oblivion, will be interesting none the less.

Carlton 87, Hawthorn 86, Essendon 84 went OK.

This is true but the 80's was a very different era. The zone drafting had a huge impact on how the top sides maintained dominance for so long.

I think we are to good to just fall away into oblivion, will be interesting none the less.

I agree but even some of the better cases sent teams to falling away from the top 4. Thought it was an interesting stat of note when looking at the past 20 years.

pacman

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2006
Sunny Gold Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fremantles last crack next year with their current playing group.

Think we will have Freo, Port, Hawks and Swannies in the Top 4 and on Prelim Final weekend.

Lions a sneaky chance with beams and Christensen :)
The problem with the Lions is who is their presence up forward and Patful won't be replaced overnight.

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Where Sydney got it all wrong was playing a really tall forward line. Four talls and two smalls was unbalanced and Sydney couldn't stop Hawthorn from rebounding out of the defensive 50. I think if the Swans bring in someone like Brandon Jack next year and play him as the permanant small forward, which would then give Sydney that extra small crumbing player with Franklin and Tippett now having more room to lead into inside 50, whilst Sam Reid would then play as a CHB. Just my opinion.

On gf day and against the Hawks generally this a million times. Hawks have best kicks in the league. Kicking long to a contest without crumpets to lock the ball in or put pressure on when it comes out was not a smart strategy.

I can't actually see hawthorn being challenged this season. It will be their last hurrah I think, but given what they coped with in 2014 with even an ok injury run they just win.

Swans port and a n other to finish top four. I think there will be a lot of competitive sides in 2015. Only a couple in the truly rebuilding phase.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
On gf day and against the Hawks generally this a million times. Hawks have best kicks in the league. Kicking long to a contest without crumpets to lock the ball in or put pressure on when it comes out was not a smart strategy.

I can't actually see hawthorn being challenged this season. It will be their last hurrah I think, but given what they coped with in 2014 with even an ok injury run they just win.

Swans port and a n other to finish top four. I think there will be a lot of competitive sides in 2015. Only a couple in the truly rebuilding phase.
Haha crumpets!

But you're right in that Sydney are badly missing a quite small forward. Port, Freo and hawthorn have 2 quality ones each. Really helps to spread the load and keep the opposition's defence on te toes.

For Sydney, their defence was awesome in 2014. That doesn't evaporate overnight UNLESS hawthorn revealed a way of breaking down their midfield that others can copy.

As for us - we looked awesome on grand final day but things can change very quickly.

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
Essendon.

Oh wait this isn't their board...
Ryder to win the Norm Smith.

(Something Port and Essendon fans can agree on. Not which team he will win it with however! )

Pavlovs Cat

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwood, Aston Villa
Hawks port and Sydney stand out above the rest. But a lot will come down to fitness of course. While the hawks had a horrendous run with injury through the middle of the season and were good enough to hang in there, we had our full list fit and firing come finals.

Finding it hard to make a case for any other side but there is often a surprise bolter.

Not any more there isn't. Australian Premier League.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Ryder to win the Norm Smith.

(Something Port and Essendon fans can agree on. Not which team he will win it with however! )

Wingard or Boak will win won for us, am absolutely convinced.

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hawthorn will be just as hungry, they are not going to be easy beats. Will it be their first 3 peat?

Port will be top 4 next year, have a huge chance. Hate to say that. Semi final, prelim final, probably top 4 next year and a GF is in reach.

Sydney will be hungry after their GF loss.

North, Geelong, Fremantle, Adelaide = either one of them are a top 4 side next year.

Pain is lingering but decreasing every day by learning to live with the fact we gave you a forfeit in the GF.

Geez I don't reckon even any of our supporters stooped to that in 07 and we were beaten by 20 goals not 10.

Don't discredit the complete and utter dismantling of a very good side by an excellent side by trying to fob it off as a forfeit.

Hawthorn destroyed Sydney.

Live with it.

raghav

All Australian
Sep 18, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fremantles last crack next year with their current playing group.

Think we will have Freo, Port, Hawks and Swannies in the Top 4 and on Prelim Final weekend.

Lions a sneaky chance with beams and Christensen :)

Freo will be lucky to make the final four, particularly if they fail to acquire a key goal kicking forward and even more importantly a key defender.
They missed their golden opportunity in 2013 and I can't see them getting another crack at it with their current list.

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
There's a lot of love on here for Sydney, but don't be stunned if they drop to 5th after that smashing. Some things to consider:

- Richards is ageing, and the defenders around him got exposed badly on grand final day
- Shaw is well past it IMO and he's also ageing even further
- Goodes is Goodes (campaigner of a bloke but a good footballer), but he's also very much at the end of his career and I'm not sure he's going to be able to deliver too much
- Tippett is an overpaid spud who apparently has forgotten how to play football with Franklin around
- Sam Reid & Jetta - they're still searching the area around the MCG since grand final day to see if they can locate them
- Mike Pyke is rucking by himself with no real help. The loss of Mumford was huge.
- Malceski is gone
- They can't trade experienced players in due to the COLA restriction

I feel like they're in a little more strife than people are willing to accept.

wcesam

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Just for interests sake I'd like to see a fresh contender take the flag, probably Port or maybe even North if they can string together some good form for an extended period. Watching the Hawks go for the threepeat wouldn't be too bad either. I think everyone is getting a bit sick of Sydney being up there but they definitely still have the talent.

Back