Who will win the premiership in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. We will miss him terribly when he eventually hands up the boots.

He's ability to continuously control the tempo of the game, sidestep and release to a player in space is phenomenal, and probably the most understated or unrecognised key to why we've been so good for so long. Playing him off the half backline allows us to use this skill without having him getting belted on the bottom of packs.
As an opposition supporter, I can only say every bloody time, why can nobody tag him. He is peerless, untaggable, strong, elite disposal, fair, a total midfield genius.Should have more accolades, awards than he does. He is the Hawthorn player, and there are about 25 of them, that I rate most highly and have done so for a while now. For me, it's Ablett then Mitchell.

As an opposition supporter, I can only say every bloody time, why can nobody tag him. He is peerless, untaggable, strong, elite disposal, fair, a total midfield genius.Should have more accolades, awards than he does. He is the Hawthorn player, and there are about 25 of them, that I rate most highly and have done so for a while now. For me, it's Ablett then Mitchell.
Ling used to do alright on him when he wasn't following Hodge around.

Not that I want to derail the thread, but I think it's a real shame that he's not been given the accolades he has deserved. He should have at least 3 AA's to his name, and a Brownlow. Certainly, having attended a closed Hawthorn function it was made very clear the regard with which Mitchell and Hodge are held in our clubs history.

People have marveled at Judd's ability to get the pill and break away from a stoppage over his career, but Mitchell's key attribute in tight is on par with this, albeit, his use of the ball is tantamount to directing the flow of play, rather than straight out attack.

Yeah, I could probably go on for a while about how overlooked he has been for such a phenomenally consistent and skilled player. :embarassed:

Ling used to do alright on him when he wasn't following Hodge around.
True, Lingy is almost my alltime favourite Geelong person, not only for his playing ability, which is undervalued, but his persona too. Anyway, we have to go forwards, and sadly, Mitchell and Ablett also will have to eventually retire.

Agreed. We will miss him terribly when he eventually hands up the boots.

He's ability to continuously control the tempo of the game, sidestep and release to a player in space is phenomenal, and probably the most understated or unrecognised key to why we've been so good for so long. Playing him off the half backline allows us to use this skill without having him getting belted on the bottom of packs.

It is why I miss Brett Kirk so much. As a Swans fan I did not realise how good Mitchell was until we no longer had Kirk to shut him down. No one we have now is anywhere near as good at keeping Mitchell quiet.

Port vs. Hawks would be sweet.

Only down side is that Hawks can't fit any more cups in their cabinet, so would have to use the cup as a pencil holder or something.

Would be great if a team came out of nowhere to make the GF vs. Port, from a neutral point. Can't see that happening. Maybe... just maybe.. The Saints. hahahaha

Freo could still cause some damage.

Only down side is that Hawks can't fit any more cups in their cabinet, so would have to use the cup as a pencil holder or something.

Would be great if a team came out of nowhere to make the GF vs. Port, from a neutral point. Can't see that happening. Maybe... just maybe.. The Saints. hahahaha

There was talk at our AGM the other night regarding finding a new HQ to accommodate all our current and future premiership cups. Unfortunately they haven't been able to find anything large enough.

Call me crazy but I think if there was going to be one unexpected bolter that could do a lot better than everyone thinks to the point where they could be at the pointy end of the finals that team is Gold Coast. It is unlikely but there is a chance Gold Coast could make the top 4.

It's quite funny with Mitchell, I think due to his build and lack of pace most people take awhile to realise how good he is. I remember my old man use to sometimes criticize him back in the 05-07 period mainly because when we are a pretty mediocre side he gets annoyed at the supposed best players in the team for the smallest things. He now regards him as one of the best footballers he has ever seen play. He always says the one thing that sets him apart from practically everyone else is his pace of mind and decision making let alone his skills. Funny thing is, on the ABC commentary of the grand final Nathan Buckley mentions Mitchell's pace of mind and I've told my old man that Bucks agrees haha.

Anyway back on topic haha.

Call me crazy but I think if there was going to be one unexpected bolter that could do a lot better than everyone thinks to the point where they could be at the pointy end of the finals that team is Gold Coast. It is unlikely but there is a chance Gold Coast could make the top 4.

Good call.

I remember my old man use to sometimes criticize him back in the 05-07 period mainly because when we are a pretty mediocre side he gets annoyed at the supposed best players in the team for the smallest things. He now regards him as one of the best footballers he has ever seen play.

Same notion applies to Lenny Hayes. Hayes went into beast mode in the second half of his 20s.

Mitchell is the best Hawk since Dunstall.

Not that I want to derail the thread, but I think it's a real shame that he's not been given the accolades he has deserved. He should have at least 3 AA's to his name, and a Brownlow. Certainly, having attended a closed Hawthorn function it was made very clear the regard with which Mitchell and Hodge are held in our clubs history.

People have marveled at Judd's ability to get the pill and break away from a stoppage over his career, but Mitchell's key attribute in tight is on par with this, albeit, his use of the ball is tantamount to directing the flow of play, rather than straight out attack.

Yeah, I could probably go on for a while about how overlooked he has been for such a phenomenally consistent and skilled player. :embarassed:

He doesnt kick enough goals was implied by KB on behalf of the AA comittee, then the seemed to have dropped that requirement for 2014 !

I reckon that mitch and hodges display among their peers in the IR is an indication of perhaps another goodseason to come

Eade will be a game changer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eade will be a game changer

To be honest I still don't know why Gold Coast sacked Guy McKenna as the Suns were showing good progression every year under him. I don't think Eade is a good choice as he is too old school in his coaching techniques for modern footballers. Ryan Fitzgerald said that Eade was simply abusive a lot of the time and I just don't think that is a style that will work anymore.

It was strange that the league would spend so much in a new team but then use inexperienced coaches, whether cpaches in question turn out good or not, its very surprising

Good call.

Same notion applies to Lenny Hayes. Hayes went into beast mode in the second half of his 20s.

Mitchell is the best Hawk since Dunstall.

Agreed.

I remember against North this year he missed his targets twice. That's how near perfect his disposal is on either side. You actually remember the times he has a poor disposal throughout the season!

It's quite funny with Mitchell, I think due to his build and lack of pace most people take awhile to realise how good he is. I remember my old man use to sometimes criticize him back in the 05-07 period mainly because when we are a pretty mediocre side he gets annoyed at the supposed best players in the team for the smallest things. He now regards him as one of the best footballers he has ever seen play. He always says the one thing that sets him apart from practically everyone else is his pace of mind and decision making let alone his skills. Funny thing is, on the ABC commentary of the grand final Nathan Buckley mentions Mitchell's pace of mind and I've told my old man that Bucks agrees haha.

Anyway back on topic haha.
If you ever want an example of how pace is overated have a look at the norm smith medal winners of the past 5 or 6 years. Hodge okeefe bartel hayes Chapman. Not quick just great at getting the ball.

Anyway back on topic. Sydney I hope.

Since 2000 only Ablett and Judd have polled more Brownlow votes then Mitchell. Amazingly he's polled more votes then the likes of Voss, Ricciuto, Buckley and Hird.

Last edited:
You don't know what players will suddenly lose form due to age though. Lake might not be half the player in 2015 than he was in 2014 and even though we don't think of him as old Gibson is at an age where in theory he could lose a lot of form.

I am not saying it is going to happen, the Gibson part is especially unlikely but it is a possibility.

One only needs to look at ROK to see how quickly a Norm Smith medallist can become a pedestrian. A player loses a yard of pace, the game changes or a bad run of injuries can quickly shut down an older player's career.

As for an improved list, Sydney's list on paper was superior in 2014 to that of 2012 but it counted for nothing when, for some inexplicable reason, many of those same much vaunted players failed to stand up in the GF.

I think Hawks are still the best chance to win the 2015 GF but I wouldn't put my house on it. There's a good reason why the 3-peat is so rare. Over-confidence alone could be their undoing. That's not something that will be a factor for Swans, North, Freo, Port or Cats this year. All have taken a good licking and should come back stronger for it.

One only needs to look at ROK to see how quickly a Norm Smith medallist can become a pedestrian. A player loses a yard of pace, the game changes or a bad run of injuries can quickly shut down an older player's career.

As for an improved list, Sydney's list on paper was superior in 2014 to that of 2012 but it counted for nothing when, for some inexplicable reason, many of those same much vaunted players failed to stand up in the GF.

I think Hawks are still the best chance to win the 2015 GF but I wouldn't put my house on it. There's a good reason why the 3-peat is so rare. Over-confidence alone could be their undoing. That's not something that will be a factor for Swans, North, Freo, Port or Cats this year. All have taken a good licking and should come back stronger for it.
Just on the over-confidence point. That's certainly not the feeling that I've detected coming from the Hawks playing and coaching groups having seen interviews and speeches at the AGM for example. A portion of the Hawks fan base may fit that bill but obviously what the fans say and do doesn't effect what happens out on the field.

The current group at the Hawthorn Football Club now have the experience on how to deal with the expectation and pressure involved with "being the hunted" and winning successive flags. This certainly doesn't guarantee another flag in 2015 but I do believe it will guarantee that if this group do fail to go all the way again it won't be due to over-confidence.

Just on the over-confidence point. That's certainly not the feeling that I've detected coming from the Hawks playing and coaching groups having seen interviews and speeches at the AGM for example. A portion of the Hawks fan base may fit that bill but obviously what the fans say and do doesn't effect what happens out on the field.

The current group at the Hawthorn Football Club now have the experience on how to deal with the expectation and pressure involved with "being the hunted" and winning successive flags. This certainly doesn't guarantee another flag in 2015 but I do believe it will guarantee that if this group do fail to go all the way again it won't be due to over-confidence.

I appreciate that point and it may well be the case that they have their expectations well managed. I stressed that over-confidence alone could be their undoing but obviously, even with keeping that in check, many other factors could crop up. 3 peats are extremely rare.

I get the feeling Hawthorn will 3-peat.

I'll go Hawthorn over Port in the Grand Final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back