Who won’t have a full pre-season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Regarding Vardy the hip was an issue and does still need to be managed no doubt. From my understanding there have been no further relapses or issues to this point.

Id be more concerned about the ACL especially if he is being considered for a permanent ruck type role. All AFL players face the issue but to me, imo, the ruck seems the hardest role to return to post ACL issues.

Go Catters

Then lets not play him in the ruck!

I'm a Vardy fan….yes, he hasn't done much, and he seems a bit of a simpleton :)D) but athletically he certainly looks the goods, and has CHF written all over him. Good hands, nice kick and his athleticism indicates that with the development of a good tank, he could make a difference in our forward set up.

I concede this is my assessment only,and comes from observation of a yet to fully develop footballer
( and young man) who will make some errors, (probably some of them horrendous) and take a little more time yet.

I think he's an investment for the future…..at CHF.

Last edited:

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Everybody worships something/someone. For most people, its is themselves - but it could be a career, money, pleasure, family, a footy club. But whatever it is, the truth remains that everyone worships something - you included.
I think you are confusing love (my wife) adore (my son and the Geelong Football team) but worship? Nope.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
If we're depending on those two next year we're in trouble.
Those last few games by Walker were good/promising, he showed he could take a pack mark and did a few things better than before. Still a long way from AFL level but if he can improve and gain confidence perhaps he can play at the elite level. At the moment I would consider him first choice and the other candidates will have to push him out. We have not had two top line KPF's both firing in decades but we have still won premierships.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Those last few games by Walker were good/promising, he showed he could take a pack mark and did a few things better than before. Still a long way from AFL level but if he can improve and gain confidence perhaps he can play at the elite level. At the moment I would consider him first choice and the other candidates will have to push him out. We have not had two top line KPF's both firing in decades but we have still won premierships.

But we had more than serviceable output from our 2nd key forward every time we won a flag too. Sustained over a season. We haven't yet seen that from Walker (granted, neither he nor Brown nor Kersten has been given that chance for a prolonged period).

But we won them on the back of an A grade defense and midfield.
Something that we do not have at the moment.

Last edited:

Jon Douglas

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
There is no perfect team. However the best backline and midfield in the game with an adequate forward line will get the job done. And we did 3 times.

Right now we do not have the best defence, the best midfield and still only an adequate forward line.

If GFC are to be a serious threat we need to improve the backline with more run and carry, improve the midfield by getting another A class mid and improve the forward line by having a true CHF and a good small forward to compliment Motlop.

I'm a Vardy fan….yes, he hasn't done much, and he seems a bit of a simpleton :)D) but athletically he certainly looks the goods, and has CHF written all over him. Good hands, nice kick and his athleticism indicates that with the development of a good tank, he could make a difference in our forward set up.

I concede this is my assessment only,and comes from observation of a yet to fully develop footballer
( and young man) who will make some errors, (probably some of them horrendous) and take a little more time yet.

I worry a lot about Vardy, he looked big and cumbersome BEFORE the ACL. Who knows what he's like now.
The hips are a time bomb, and the ACL...
To me, very much in the Menzel mould- whatever we get from Vardy is a pleasant bonus.
Would not risk his time in the ruck, and if we have Hawk and Clark,where does he fit?
Walker will likely end up playing more games.
Vardy certainly showed signs of something, but not in a dependable way, and I am keen to see that change, but not confident.

I would never say that Vardy was "cumbersome"! Quite the contrary to my eyes…he looks like a very good athlete to me….mobile, quite quick off the mark, athletic with what appears to me a promising pair of hands.

I would never argue with you on injury issues, but many players have returned from ACL's and had a full and successful career. I am not sure about the physiology surrounding his hip issue but the club and the medical team didn't seem phased and felt it could be managed. There were no signs of his hip giving him problems before he went down with his ACL.

I am optimistic about Vardy….people have short memories about just how promising this kid was when drafted…I recall pundits being amazed he got to Geelongs second pick…

I hope he does the work in pre-season and shows a bit early on….building I hope to a place in the 22…he sure would be a bonus if the potential i speak of comes to the surface. In my mind, there's no reason why he can't be an asset to the GFC.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I am optimistic about Vardy….people have short memories about just how promising this kid was when drafted…I recall pundits being amazed he got to Geelongs second pick…

I hope he does the work in pre-season and shows a bit early on….building I hope to a place in the 22…he sure would be a bonus if the potential i speak of comes to the surface. In my mind, there's no reason why he can't be an asset to the GFC.

You don't need to worry. If Vardy is upright and breathing he'll be playing in the seniors. The problem is the word you've listed - potential - so far that's what we've seen. He's definitely promising but still has a long way to go, and needs to start doing more a lot more frequently.

The comedy value of course is when McIntosh, Vardy, Clark, Walker and Blicavs all get squeezed into the same team, and Scott says after losses that our defensive pressure needs to improve.

_Me_

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2010
town
AFL Club
Geelong
You don't need to worry. If Vardy is upright and breathing he'll be playing in the seniors. The problem is the word you've listed - potential - so far that's what we've seen. He's definitely promising but still has a long way to go, and needs to start doing more a lot more frequently.

The comedy value of course is when McIntosh, Vardy, Clark, Walker and Blicavs all get squeezed into the same team, and Scott says after losses that our defensive pressure needs to improve.
pressure is so intense they are leaving

Remove this Banner Ad

Back