Who'll debut first? Blakely, Grey, Langdon or Weller?

Remove this Banner Ad

And I think a lot of people haven't yet worked out that our premiership window is this year and that's it. Without Sandilands and Pavlich we won't be serious contenders, so unless we pull off a miracle trading coup this year then this is our 1 shot. Not much point holding back someone who could improve the side until next year for the sake of "Development".
People said the same thing when Buddy left the Hawks, and that Sydney would win the GF last year. Our midfiekd will
Be stronger next year, Sandilands will still be here, the backline has never been an issue, and we will have to replace
Pavlich regardless.
Hawks are so dangerous because of the number of goal scorers, not relying on a few. We have midfielders who are
kicking goals at Peel, the future is in our own hands.

I think in the battle they're both quite ordinary. Suban especially has a pretty bad record of only playing great games against shithouse opposition.

People speak highly of these blokes' toughness, but I would have loved for one of them to have given a shitmixer to either Hodge or Mitchell. Instead the best you can hope from Suban is an angry face and a few jumper punches. I admire De Boer's ability to put his head over the ball, though. He's one of the braver players on the list.

For guys in the team as grunt, they don't actually do much grunting. Fyfe still gets bullied around the contest, none of Hill's taggers have ever had to take a second thought about tailing him.

That's why some of the reasons people cite why first year players haven't debuted don't ring true. Some of the fringe players currently in the side lack the same attributes that people say potential debutants do.
Sure but I think the way the match committee thinks of it is that you can't drop Duffield, Mzungu, Clarke, Suban and Deboer, and whoever else, at once for still-developing noobs. They will look at the spread of age and experience needed to field what is accepted as a balanced side.

Sure but I think the way the match committee thinks of it is that you can't drop Duffield, Mzungu, Clarke, Suban and Deboer, and whoever else, at once for still-developing noobs. They will look at the spread of age and experience needed to field what is accepted as a balanced side.
Is it balanced though? It still has deficiencies in moving the ball inside 50 and finding forward targets. It still can't generate a consistent score.

I reckon for a coach who set the benchmark as 100 points per game and top four in attack, he hasn't done much to address the fact the side has gotten nowhere near that benchmark.

As a like for like it isn't Suban or DeBoer that Weller should come in. It is the outside receiver with skills, and it is one D Pearce that should be in the gun. For the life of me I can't see how Weller could be doing a worse job than DP did today, with infinitely more upside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Ross can hurry up and get his head out of his ass, he'd realize the sub needs to be an impact player. Weller has more potential to do that than MDB ever will.

This year de Boer has been our most effective sub. He wasn't so good today, but was an effective impact player earlier in the season.
Also, I'm pretty sure Lyon doesn't have a donkey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you rate Weller a better player than Crozier?
different types. Crozier if he reaches his ceiling should be a high leaping mercurial forward of centre player who drifts in and out but does amazing things, potential match winner. For me question marks remain about his ability to get enough ball but if he does good things with it like he did tonight other than his first kick it won't matter. I like that he developing a really hard edge and desperation to his game, he tackles hard and scraps for the ball when its in his area.

Weller is a pure mid. Will start as an outside player but is courageous and hard at a contest and will learn to win his own ball. His biggest strength as I see it is his kicking which is complimented by his vision and decision making. Forwards will love leading to him. Has one of the most effortless and natural kicking actions I've ever seen, excellent balance and keeps his feet. What I've really like about him when I've seen him play is he wants to win. He is smart and skilful but he goes back for second and 3rd efforts and doesn't back down. As you can probably tell I rate him very highly.

Both should have good careers and I hope they both stay at Freo for all of it.

Thanks for the response hope you are right about Weller for mine Crozier has played enough AFL now for us to know he will always struggle to get alot of the ball have a look at his record gets a dozen or so possies kicks a couple of goals he is a handy player for us but very tradeable.

Thanks for the response hope you are right about Weller for mine Crozier has played enough AFL now for us to know he will always struggle to get alot of the ball have a look at his record gets a dozen or so possies kicks a couple of goals he is a handy player for us but very tradeable.
I tend to agree but for the facts that he is a real late bloomer and hasn't really ever played 4 quarters for an extended period. I suspect its especially difficult for young players when they are constantly coming on as sub or worrying about being subbed to really relax into the rhythm of a game. He worked his way into it quite well yesterday and seemed to grown in confidence.
He has some real talent and while I don't expect him to post prolific numbers I believe he has a high ceiling and some way to go to get there.

I tend to agree but for the facts that he is a real late bloomer and hasn't really ever played 4 quarters for an extended period. I suspect its especially difficult for young players when they are constantly coming on as sub or worrying about being subbed to really relax into the rhythm of a game. He worked his way into it quite well yesterday and seemed to grown in confidence.
He has some real talent and while I don't expect him to post prolific numbers I believe he has a high ceiling and some way to go to get there.

Yep agree. The opportunity for Croz now is to string games together with Ballas out. I think he will get some continuity into his game and develop.

The sub rule sux big time. It's actually hindering some of the young players development because they might sit on the bench all game. Waste of a player having them sit around.

Last edited:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/29122959/blakely-ripe-for-freo-debut-says-harding/

"With star midfielder Nat Fyfe (thigh) already ruled out for the GWS clash, Blakely is likely to be in the extended squad when it is named this afternoon."

This week would be as good as any for a debut. It'll be interesting to see if they go for experience to cover for Fyfe or whether they choose one of the new guys.

Looking at the list of inclusions, I would rate Blakely as the best inside contested mid of the lot going on current form. With fyfe out, I think Blakely is the most logical in, with Tendai to come in for Clancee, Zac into the backline and Alex P being trialled up forward for Tabs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back