Who'll get the first tap on the shoulder and when?

Remove this Banner Ad

Daw is too short and not strong enOugh through the hips to compete with AFL ruckman. It's okay in the VFL, but it's a different ball game against the bigger AFL bodies.
That is where his leap comes into play. As a ruck man, he is more similar to Paddy Ryder. Anyway, time will tell.

So what are we looking at? According to the contracts thread, these are the guys out of contract at the end of the month:

Greenwood
Nahas
Hine
Curran
Wilkins
Anthony

In: Waite, Higgins, 3(?) x draft picks, 2(?) x rookie upgrades
Out: Greenwood, Anthony (for sure), Curran (very likely).

If we really are going to have seven list changes, then every one of those guys is out, plus one more. The extra would have to be Scott McMahon getting the Urqhuart treatment.

Of course we may only upgrade one rookie. But if we did so I think I'd like us to still downgrade Scotty and keep Nahas on. He'd be pretty stiff after the year he had to get cut. I thought he gave us a lot once his fitness improved. Even when he was unfit he gave 100%, he just cramped up before half time!

I'm not ruling out Daw making it as a ruckman. But I am just about ruling him out of any meaningful footy in 2015. I imagine it will be a really tough year for him.
If he can battle his way through everything and get down to playing consistent footy in the VFL in the first half of the season, that would already be a win. The problem is that his contract will finish next year so would want to have some impact at senior level to secure a new contract. But agree, it will be a tough year.

I can not understand why the club has not officially de-listed players already.

It seems to me that a player that is de-listed before the trade period would have more opportunity to be picked up by another club because their name is on the open market.

THe club has known for months who they were going to de-list, just get it done.

It seems to me that a player that is de-listed before the trade period would have more opportunity to be picked up by another club because their name is on the open market.

There are probably some definites and some maybes, and I'd assume players and their managers would be informed about the club's thinking. They can't make the final decisions until after trading because they don't know for certain how many spots they have to play with - an extra deal that brings a player in means one more to be cut, and an extra uncontracted player decides they want to move or a deal to exchange one pick for two (as we've done before) might give them room to keep one more on the list.

There are probably some definites and some maybes, and I'd assume players and their managers would be informed about the club's thinking. They can't make the final decisions until after trading because they don't know for certain how many spots they have to play with - an extra deal that brings a player in means one more to be cut, and an extra uncontracted player decides they want to move or a deal to exchange one pick for two (as we've done before) might give them room to keep one more on the list.

You can do more than one list lodgement... Geelong delisted a few and held onto the "maybes" like Taylor Hunt.

You'd have to say it wasn't a great trade period for us, we got a 32yo (in Feb) and a guy who shows plenty but as yet hasn't delivered, so much for B.Scott's aggressive approach, we did squat (as per usual) with no major coups, disappointing:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good question. I'd also be keen to hear who we should have given up to pick up the player(s) we missed that we should have "aggressively" chased.

Over to you, Reacher.

Ablett, Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Cameron.

That is where his leap comes into play. As a ruck man, he is more similar to Paddy Ryder. Anyway, time will tell.

Daw is nothing like Ryder for mine. Very different players with different attributes.

The club has known for months who they were going to de-list, just get it done.

How do you know this?

It may be the club wanted to see who it obtained as part of this period before making the decision. To me it makes sense to take as long as possible when delisting players, there is no benefit in doing it early.

I'm sure their are valid reasons that trump the curiosity of a handful of supporters.

You'd have to say it wasn't a great trade period for us, we got a 32yo (in Feb) and a guy who shows plenty but as yet hasn't delivered, so much for B.Scott's aggressive approach, we did squat (as per usual) with no major coups, disappointing:thumbsdown:
You're completely misunderstood on here Jacko. You've fallen so deep into character people are actually convinced you're a negative flog beyond reason.

Brilliant. :thumbsu:

Ablett, Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Cameron.
In: Ablett Out: McMahon, Anthony, Wilkins, Curran, 4th rounder

In: Pendlebury Out: Warren, Nahas, 4th rounder

In: Dangerfield Out: Hine, Campbell, Kennedy, 4th rounder

In: Cameron Out: Mabon, Daniltchenko, Spaull, Van Der Klooster, Staritski, Mellington, McConnell, 4th rounder

d5r9l.jpg

Daw is nothing like Ryder for mine. Very different players with different attributes.
Fair enough. Very different attributes other than using spring for tap work, struggle in body-on-body, very mobile, strong kicks, and forward marking targets. Of course there is a chasm of difference in class and experience, but I'm just looking at player type. But, each to their own.

Fair enough. Very different attributes other than using spring for tap work, struggle in body-on-body, very mobile, strong kicks, and forward marking targets. Of course there is a chasm of difference in class and experience, but I'm just looking at player type. But, each to their own.

I think you need to watch Ryder a bit closer. He is much stronger through the core (Majak is poor in this area), can run the game out not just 5 minute bursts, and Majak does not have the footy brain Ryder does - and that is not down to experience, some players simply don't have it upstairs.

I am still hopeful (just) that Majak can succeed, but for mine it won't be as a similar player to what Ryder is. He has some very impressive tools, but equally glaring weaknesses.

Last edited:
I think you need to watch Ryder a bit closer. He is much stronger through the core (Majak is poor in this area), can run the game out not just 5 minute bursts, and Majak does not have the footy brain Ryder does - and that is not down to experience, some players simply don't have it upstairs.

I am still hopeful (just) that Majak can succeed, but for mine it won't be as a similar player to what Ryder is. He has some very impressive tools, but equally glaring weaknesses.
Anyway, we agree on being hopeful that Maj will succeed. He is another of our make or break group of players in 2015 (Harper, McKenzie, Delaney, Jacobs, Tarrant)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back