Who's afraid of Rupert Murdoch? The end of an era.

You realise that News Corp is an international company? Also, you seem to cheer at their newspapers doing poorly. If you're not making money in Australia then you shouldn't be paying tax, right?

https://www.fool.com.au/2015/08/17/news-corp-reports-full-year-results-what-you-need-to-know/

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...27242x0xS1193125-15-288946/1564708/filing.pdf
(put in wrong link)

Struggling to break even which means they will pay no tax in Australia because they didn't earn any money in Australia. The rest of his international income is offset via the foreign tax offset because it was not earned in Australia.

PetrikDngerfild

Senior List
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
jerry-land.jpg

homers_triple_bypass_18.jpg

Rupert made me laugh this morning.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...e-for-paying-token-taxes-20160127-gmflu5.html

"Google et al broke no tax laws,'' Murdoch wrote on Twitter. "Now paying token amounts for p r purposes. Won't work. Need strong new laws to pay like the rest of us.''

Friend gave me a copy of a doco called, 'The Town that took on the Taxman'. About a town in Wales called Crickhowell and how the local traders went to Isle of Man, Denmark to set themselves up as the big companies like Apple, Google, Subway etc have.

Really interesting and oh so easy.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Rupert made me laugh this morning.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...e-for-paying-token-taxes-20160127-gmflu5.html

"Google et al broke no tax laws,'' Murdoch wrote on Twitter. "Now paying token amounts for p r purposes. Won't work. Need strong new laws to pay like the rest of us.''

Friend gave me a copy of a doco called, 'The Town that took on the Taxman'. About a town in Wales called Crickhowell and how the local traders went to Isle of Man, Denmark to set themselves up as the big companies like Apple, Google, Subway etc have.

Really interesting and oh so easy.
You shouldn't be surprised Maggie. It's why his picture appears next to the word duplicitous in many lexicons.;)

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Last edited:

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
Telstra want out of Foxtel.

Losing the EPL is a disaster for their sports line-up and they face higher competition from the streaming services for major programming like Game Of Thrones. Netflix/Stan/iView etc are all cheaper, but Foxtel has just increased their base subscription by $1. I thought this was so they had a bigger kitty to buy exclusives/sport, but anecdotally there have been a lot of cancellation requests following the loss of the EPL and the company is therefore giving huge discounts to keep their subscribers up.

Don't forget it's not just the loss of a subscription fee - Foxtel also have a lot of ads and ad prices drop with less subscribers.

You would've thought they had a lot of margin for dropping prices (they have world-leading profit margins on their fees and even charge an extra $10/month if you want HD!), but the increase by $1 would undoubtedly have spooked Telstra. Obviously Foxtel subsidise News Corp's struggling papers so need those profits and already pay huge amounts for the AFL and NRL.

I've long said sport and sensationalism are Murdoch's main sellers - not his politics. I wonder if he'll have a 'what can you offer me?' approach to the next election when it comes to major party support? Of course if Labor want to build the proper NBN still, he will be virulent in his backing of the Coalition...

the foxtel model is a dead man walking.

I simply don't see what telstra knows about content. Selling out is a very clever thing to do for such a small business segment not core to their business strength.

in regards to being anti-NBN, I think Murdoch has been proven correct. Not that NBN isn't a good idea, it was the fact it was a political stunt rather than a properly planned, scoped out and budgeted project.

oh well say the fanboi.......it was someone else's money anyway and I want free s**t!

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda

I simply don't see what telstra knows about content. Selling out is a very clever thing to do for such a small business segment not core to their business strength.

in regards to being anti-NBN, I think Murdoch has been proven correct. Not that NBN isn't a good idea, it was the fact it was a political stunt rather than a properly planned, scoped out and budgeted project.

oh well say the fanboi.......it was someone else's money anyway and I want free s**t!
Dafuq?

Murdoch didn't want the public NBN for the same reason he was desperate to keep Netflix out of Aus...

And it wasn't for the people...

Good idea. Lemme know when you're done.

for a start you are upset about an abuse of power and conflict of interest of an individual "voicing" a concern over a poorly planned NBN project to protect a very small business segment

vs

an abuse of power and conflict of interest of a government committing to a project without a feasibility study, without complying with its own rules and basic government requirements to keep off balance sheet, without considering a proper funding model, without considering a proper revenue model and roll out a multi-bilion dollar project without a full scope?

I sense you aren't being balanced with your outlook on this one

Perhaps there would have been less scrutiny for if the project was properly scoped, a feasibility completed, governments procedures and regulations followed, have a proper funding model, capex offsets and a revenue model.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
for a start you are upset about an abuse of power and conflict of interest of an individual "voicing" a concern over a poorly planned NBN project to protect a very small business segment

vs

an abuse of power and conflict of interest of a government committing to a project without a feasibility study, without complying with its own rules and basic government requirements to keep off balance sheet, without considering a proper funding model, without considering a proper revenue model and roll out a multi-bilion dollar project without a full scope?

I sense you aren't being balanced with your outlook on this one

Perhaps there would have been less scrutiny for if the project was properly scoped, a feasibility completed, governments procedures and regulations followed, have a proper funding model, capex offsets and a revenue model.
For a start you are upset about a very important piece of infrastructure that Australia will use for at least the next 50 years.
Of which some aspects have not even been invented.

vs

Someone chucking the shits and abusing their power, to try and maintain a monopoly.

I sense you're never balanced with anything, and you always have an agenda.

For a start you are upset about a very important piece of infrastructure that Australia will use for at least the next 50 years.
Of which some aspects have not even been invented.

vs

Someone chucking the shits and abusing their power, to try and maintain a monopoly.

I sense you're never balanced with anything, and you always have an agenda.

No that's not correct

Please reread my post

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!

you mean after it was gutted and destroyed by the liberals?
the NBN was massacred by the liberals due to ideologue, But hey..... it was somebody else's money. can't have the actually government spend taxpayers money on national infrastructure. by that logic we should still be driving on dirt roads.

you mean after it was gutted and destroyed by the liberals?
the NBN was massacred by the liberals due to ideologue, But hey..... it was somebody else's money. can't have the actually government spend taxpayers money on national infrastructure. by that logic we should still be driving on dirt roads.

It is amazing that some people can defend a project clearly designed for election purposes rather than nation infrastructure purposes.

If it was national infrastructure the government would have had the project scoped out and a feasibility study completed. A government in their right mind would have worked with the states and recouped (at least in part) the cost from the property owners that benefit from this infrastructure (as is done with power, water, gas, telephone and sewerage).

Given neither were done, it was clearly driven by popularity and has delivered us an expensive sub-optimal outcome. We should remember who built this project on not only shaky but dodgy foundations.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
The NBN had to be started in the bush because thats the bit that private companies wouldnt do because there's no money in it,but its the most important part of the jigsaw if you want to drive future growth away from congested cities,decrease rural unemployment and save future costs on healthcare etc.
You can make your balance sheets and connections look a lot better if you start connecting houses in the burbs of big cities.
But private enterprise would have done that for free(or small charge) just to access the revenue,they were never going to waste their money on remote connections.

The NBN had to be started in the bush because thats the bit that private companies wouldnt do because there's no money in it,but its the most important part of the jigsaw if you want to drive future growth away from congested cities,decrease rural unemployment and save future costs on healthcare etc.
You can make your balance sheets and connections look a lot better if you start connecting houses in the burbs of big cities.
But private enterprise would have done that for free(or small charge) just to access the revenue,they were never going to waste their money on remote connections.

you're right but if that was the case why not plan for that and disclose that as fact

why did they do what they did?

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
You start the ball rolling and think its going to continue,who would have thought any sane Australian would vote for Abbott or Turnball "Mr internet" would dismantle it or the Nationals who pushed for it when Howard was PM would sell out their constituents.

You start the ball rolling and think its going to continue,who would have thought any sane Australian would vote for Abbott or Turnball "Mr internet" would dismantle it or the Nationals who pushed for it when Howard was PM would sell out their constituents.

I'm unsure if you think a project of the scale of the NBN should have been scoped, planned and a feasibility completed or "just wing it" before an election and it will be someone else's problem after that.

your thoughts?

Back