List Mgmt. Who's left? The Rookie Draft & PSD

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, so who's left? Who's worthwhile in your opinion? After taking some big-bodied boys/KP's in the ND, what do we need?

4 spots:

1 already taken by Roarke Smith
1 almost certain to be taklen by Jed Adcock

2 spots 'live' spots left.
Think one almost certainly needs to be taken with a ruckman. Not sure if Darcy Fort is @ Footscray next season, but I don't see why he should.
- Darcy Cameron has had a few years to mature in the WAFL and is now 21 iirc.

With the last spot I'd like to add some sort of x-factor/larger mid/free wheeling type who could be played in various spots. Not worried if they need two years to look at.
- Anthony Brolic
- Callum Moore
- Errin Wasley-Black (liked him last year, as a rookie pick, obviously needed to work on his game, went from the NT to the SANFL where he played almost all the season across HB for the Westies I believe)

Lachie Tardrew fits the dedicated, do everything right mould. Not sure about his ceiling.

Did Reuben William get picked? Bloke has the right attitude, and is hungry. Perfect recipe for rookie success. Should surely give him close consideration.

MacPherson looked impressive in those few VFL games. Can see some long term potential there. Him and a ruck along with Adcock.

O'Kearney is a chance I reckon. Fits into the group of leaders we are accumulating.

Jok and Nyuon are others that could appear

Parrella from SA another. Galloway has been mentioned here before.

Glass-McCasker if we go with another tall defender which I consider unlikely. Jack Firns ditto.

Nick Dodge and maybe someone like Isaac Franks or Mitchell Rainbird from Tassie.

Liam Jeffs didn't get pucked in the ND did he? Another super tall midfielder with really good speed.

O'Kearney is a chance I reckon. Fits into the group of leaders we are accumulating.

Jok and Nyuon are others that could appear

Parrella from SA another. Galloway has been mentioned here before.

Glass-McCasker if we go with another tall defender which I consider unlikely. Jack Firns ditto.

Nick Dodge and maybe someone like Isaac Franks or Mitchell Rainbird from Tassie.

Liam Jeffs didn't get pucked in the ND did he? Another super tall midfielder with really good speed.
Forgot O'kearney didn't get picked. Sort of justifies the lack of interest in many PD's.

Rainbird really appears to be a one trick pony to me. A limited state leaguer with not much to offer.

Forgot O'kearney didn't get picked. Sort of justifies the lack of interest in many PD's.

Rainbird really appears to be a one trick pony to me. A limited state leaguer with not much to offer.

Reckon someone early will pick o'kearney if he drops to us I can really see us picking him up especially if Nyuon is gone.

Myself I'm hoping for a ruck and one of Tom Jok/Liam Jeffs to add to our ever growing monster midfield or O'Kearney if he slides.

Nick Dodge could cause interest from us though as a replacement for Dickson later down the track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Purely pick for need

1x Ruckman
1x Key Posi, still think we are one short here - Coglan, Glass-McCasker

Adcock who is probably an insurance policy

Adcock is really just an upgrade of Brett Goodes for 2 years. I'm ok with that given our ridiculously young list.

Taking that into consideration though, I can no longer see us picking up A.Cordy as another mature rookie. This will please many no doubt but I still think Ayce would give us a better chance of winning a flag in the next few years being on our list than a young ruckman that hasn't been in the system and is wanted by no other clubs. Not saying Ayce would have to play in the granny but might be able to show leadership in the VFL and help develop mentally the other kids and pinch hit in a few wins during the H&A if one of our other ruckman get injured. A raw, teenage ruckman would be 5 years away from helping - and that's ok too if we see a future for someone. But Adcock being on the rookie list has all but stamped Cordy's career.

We'll be trading for a ruckman next trade period anyway unless Campbell really kicks along.

Last edited:
My dream would be to get Nyuon, one of Parsons/Greg Clark/Jeffs and Adcock. Would hate for us to draft Cordy, Macpherson or O'Kearney.

Adcock is really just an upgrade of Brett Goodes for 2 years. I'm ok with that given our ridiculously young list.

Taking that into consideration though, I can no longer see us picking up A.Cordy as another mature rookie. This will please many no doubt but I still think Ayce would give us a better chance of winning a flag in the next few years being on our list than a young ruckman that hasn't been in the system and is wanted by no other clubs. Not saying Ayce would have to play in the granny but might be able to show leadership in the VFL and help develop mentally the other kids and pinch hit in a few wins during the H&A if one of our other ruckman get injured. A raw, teenage ruckman would be 5 years away from helping - and that's ok too if we see a future for someone. But Adcock being on the rookie list has all but stamped Cordy's career.

We'll be trading for a ruckman next trade period anyway unless Campbell really kicks along.
How many years away would Ayce be Butane? Not having a go, just rather punt on someone else who's unknown having the chance to forge a career. If they fail then we've lost nothing.

I think we should go

1. A Ruck (Nyoun, Galloway, Goetz)
2. Speedy type or another key position (Sam Murray, Reuben William, Liam Jeffs, Tom Jok, Nick Dodge, James Parsons, Nick Coughlan, Callum Moore, Jesse Glass-McCasker, Michael Hartley, Dylan Smith, Josh Porter)
3. Jed Adcock

Sorry Darcy McPherson.

Last edited:
How many years away would Ayce be Butane? Not having a go, just rather punt on someone else who's unknown having the chance to forge a career. If they fail then we've lost nothing.

I probaly shouldn't have said anything except Adock taking a mature rookie spots means we won't take any other mature rookies to avoid this discussion ahah. Ayce is one of the best VFL ruckman and is physically and mentally more ready now than any 17-18 year old ruckman will be for another 3-4 years. I guess that's my point. If we want to go down a young ruckman path than that's fine. But don't expect them to be getting a game regularly until at least 2020. Ayce would be a different sort of pick.

Doesn't matter anyway. Like I said, Adcock getting a rookie spot opens the door for us to get a project player ruckman for 2020-onwards. We will be trading heavily for a ruckman in 10 months time regardless.

Last edited:
Nyoun, Glass McCasker, Adcock. Dream draft.

I wouldn't even be annoyed if we took 2 rucks in Nyoun and Goetz

I think we should go

1. A Ruck (Nyoun, Galloway, Goetz)
2. Speedy type or another key position (Sam Murray, Reuben William, Liam Jeffs, Tom Jok, Nick Dodge, James Parsons, Nick Coughlan, Callum Moore, Jesse Glass-McCasker, Michael Hartley, Dylan Smith)
3. Jed Adcock

Sorry Darcy McPherson.
Yeah I think this is the way I want to go. If we draft a KPP it has to be a forward IMO. Any good forwards left?

Yeah I think this is the way I want to go. If we draft a KPP it has to be a forward IMO. Any good forwards left?

Dylan Smith and Callum Moore are key position forwards but I think they might develop into backs. Glass-McCasker has had some moments up forward, I don't think he has the smarts though. Coughlan I think has shown he's more a defender, but can play forward. I'm not confident with any of these to be honest.

As someone said above, the odds are very low finding a young key forward though. Generally only mature aged tall forwards are found in the rookie draft (McGovern, Redpath, J Pod, Sinclair, Crameri if you can call him a tall etc), so I think Josh Porter is probably our best bet. He's a 20 year old from Werribee that has done quite well this year and apparently killed it in the young guns game. He's deceptively quick, throws himself into contests, a good contested mark and applies good defensive pressure.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back