Whos Midfield was better?

whos midfield was better?

• West Coast-Cox,Judd,Cousins,Kerr,Fletcher,Embly

• Brisbane-Keating,Voss,Black,Akermanis,Lappin,Power

• Geelong-Ottens,Ablett,Bartel,Corey,Selwood,Ling

• Hawthorn-McEvoy,Hodge,Mitchell,Burgoyne,Lewis,Smith

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast were ridiculously good. Probably the best mid trio ever in Judd, Cousins and Kerr.

I always vote West Coast in these polls because their midfield absolutely carried their team to a flag. They had players in there that were absolute game changers and you can't underestimate the difference that Cox made to the midfield setup compared to the other combos. Head and shoulders above the other ruckmen on the list.

was going to start a poll "who is the real fab4 this century", decided to bump this one instead. been a lot of discussion in other polls lately re strength of midfield groups and players ie. voss v hodge, mitchell v black, lappin v hodge.
i would go west coast in this poll purely for the dean cox factor, without the ruckman in i would go lions.
who would you select in a combined mid group? mine, assuming everyone playing to their career best form.

dean cox, gary ablett, michael voss, sam mitchell, chris judd, jason akermanis.
very hard to leave out, luke hodge, ben cousins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes....But over half our midfield has 4 Cups.

And...4>>>3

Yet apparently Voss/Acker/Black/Lappin>>>Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Lewis....According to Big Footy:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Go figure.

So each side only has 4 players? Or is it possible that whilst one team has more premierships, the other side can still have better footballers in some areas? Or are the top 4 midfielders at each club the only factor in determining premierships?

Go figure

So each side only has 4 players? Or is it possible that whilst one team has more premierships, the other side can still have better footballers in some areas? Or are the top 4 midfielders at each club the only factor in determining premierships?

Go figure

I'd say they play THE most crucial aspect in determining a premiership or not.

But hey, I've only been watching VFL/AFL footy now for over 40 years......So what do I know?

Also....People keep telling me the Lions were collectively superior....But it's still 4>>>3....Make up your minds Big Footy!o_O

Go figure.:drunk:

I'd say they play THE most crucial aspect in determining a premiership or not.

But hey, I've only been watching VFL/AFL footy now for over 40 years......So what do I know?

Also....People keep telling me the Lions were collectively superior....But it's still 4>>>3....Make up your minds Big Footy!o_O

Go figure.:drunk:

They play a huge factor, but they are not the only factor. Maybe I'm an idiot, I've only been watching football for 28 years, but I think players like Roughead, Franklin, Lake, Brown, Lynch and Michael also contributed to both teams success?

They play a huge factor, but they are not the only factor. Maybe I'm an idiot, I've only been watching football for 28 years, but I think players like Roughead, Franklin, Lake, Brown, Lynch and Michael also contributed to both teams success?
keating was also huge for us in all 3 GF's. lynch and brown played injured in 2004 as well.

Yeah, they contributed: But the peeps keep telling me that individually, the Brions midfielders have it all over ours!.....That Hodge would be lucky to compare favorably to Lappin.o_O

They then claim, in the same breath, that the Brions were also superior right across the board collectively:drunk:

Now, call me crazy......But it appears that the sums 4>>>3, are greater than their parts?:confused:...Big Footy logic.:thumbsu:

WCE in a canter for me. It was so bloody good to watch in it's prime. That midfield overcame a pretty average forward line to take them to back to back GF's. As good as Brisbane's midfield was, looking at those playing lists, I actually think Geelong's comes in next. Hawthorn pulls up in last place.

Defence - Geelong, Hawks/Lions, WCE
Midfield - WCE, Geelong, Lions, Hawks
Forward - Hawks, Lions, Geelong, WCE

Just IMO.

Procrastinator35 Bobby_ Monkey King Bulldog1954 . would be interested in your best ruck/mids combination ie. combined from the ones listed in the poll, might breed some more lively debate. cox i would assume would be the certainty as ruck plus 5 mids with gary ablett the only certainty, you agree?:)

I'd say WCE premiership Judd would be as much a certainty as Ablett for sure.

Cox - Judd - Ablett - Voss - Cousins - Akermanis

A lot of ball winning power, skill and spread among this group, although you could put together a number of combinations and they'd all look terrific; Kerr, Mitchell, Black and Selwood all pretty stiff to miss for example.

Back