Who's the most improved player(s) in the AFL in 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

Having watched a few Melboune games this year I would say Neville Jetta.

Adelaide: Smith
Brisbane: Martin
Carlton: Yarran
Collingwood: Elliott
Essendon: Myers
Fremantle: Hill
Geelong: Guthrie
Gold Coast: Swallow
GWS: Shiel
Hawthorn: Hill
Melbourne: Dunn
North: Greenwood
Port: Polec
Richmond: Martin
St Kilda: Newnes
Sydney: McGlynn
West Coast: McGovern
Footscray: Wood

Last edited:
Matt white
Nearly every stat of his has drastically improved. So you're wrong he has improve greatly

Impact on games and importance to the team. As well as every stat has improved

The fact that he was a super sub at RICHMOND and comes to port and is having major impacts on each games and is a key part of our team (AND all his stats are up from last year) shows how much he has improved... You're showing your bitterness.

Showing your true colours now my friend. Anything I say won't change your mind. If you don't think matty white has drastically improved then you are just a blind bias mouse
He's right though. Matt White had been awful up until 2013 so was not in Richmond's 22 at the start of the year. After sustained form in the VFL he managed to break into the team but copped the vest for most of his games. However he consistently performed to a high level as the sub and eventually broke into the best 22 and avoided the vest for the rest of the year (this is a team that won 15 games, a similar number to what Port will finish with).

His 16 games were in this order:

started
sub
sub
sub
started
sub
sub
sub
started
started
started
started
started
started
started
started

Here are his stats when not the sub for both 2013 and 2014:

2013: 16.6 disposals, 4.2 marks, 1.0 goals, 3.8 tackles, 0.7 assists
2014: 15.9 disposals, 4.7 marks, 1.2 goals, 3.9 tackles, 1.1 assists

So pretty similar. He's getting on the end of a few more goals and setting up a few more too, but no huge improvements. Most of Matt White's improvement happened last year. His perceived improvement is mainly due to him (justifiably) getting few opportunities early in the 2013 season.

Don't worry too much about it though, your club still picked up one of the most improved players in Jared Polec.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brodie Smith and Robbie Gray.

Smith has taken his game to another level and should be AA. He'd be the first person i'd be looking to stop if I were playing the Crows.

Gray has shown glimpses in the past but injury has gotten the better of him. This year he's finally been able to get fit and he's elevated himself to elite status. Should be AA as well.

Of the players I know a bit about:

Polec has certainly shown some improvement, although the talent was obvious before he changed clubs but he rarely put it on the park before now. He has improved his consistency as much as shown improved talent.

Bennell was already pretty good for the Suns last year so I don't think his improvement has been that dramatic. Good player though.

Docherty was quite good last year so I haven't found his improvement to be massive. He will continue to develop into a good player.

May, the Suns defender, has really shown some improvement this year I think. He looks very strong and very secure and very hard to beat. I am impressed with him. He might be my pick.

For the Lions - Martin, who looked ordinary and patchy last year has come back and been a revelation as our main ruck.

Justin Clarke has also developed from a young, very raw defender into a solid player in a short time. One thing about being a defender in a bottom team - you get to learn on the job a lot! He will be another good one though.

Hooker from the Bombers and Gray from Port
Hooker was also excellent last year. He'd be close to number 1 if judging most improved over last 2 years.
A few players I'll mention below are not most improved but have jumped considerably;
Armitage
Myers
Parker
Vince
Tyson
Dunn
Casboult
Gibbs
Watts
Hotline-Smith
Treloar
Coniglio
D Swallow
Shiel
Hurley
Gray
Macaffer
Daniher

The one i've noticed the most is Polec. Brodie Smith would be up there as well.

From my club i'd nominate Baguley - reckon most would be surprised by how high he finishes in b&f this year. I am surprised so many are nominating Heppell - really his improvement curve has been very steady year on year without any large jumps - doesn't belong in this thread imo.

Also think Brodie Smith (in my opinion should be in the All-Australian team and probably will be if Ricciuto is on the panel ;)).
Sam Rowe also worthy of a mention, started the season off pretty poorly and I thought he was a sure thing to be delisted, but over the last 4-5 weeks has been very good down back for Carlton.

Tom Hawkins had a turd of a season last year and has come back with a vengeance to be arguably the best forward in the game at the moment. Technically he's got to be right up there though a lot of last years poor form was down to injury.

Impressed with Rivers as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back